Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets not get caught in the Jonas hype just yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think that he's the next anybody. If anything, he's a 7 foot Amir, which would be a 10 center. But the guy can play and is a White Swan antithesis.

All he really has to do is continue to get stronger (and he has the frame to fill out very nicely) and cut down on the fouls. At the very least, we have post-breakdown Beans.

But this was the guy I wanted when I was checking up on prospects very, very early in the draft. So I believe in the guy. And the stuff he's doing will translate pretty much anywhere.

Comment

In my view, one of the reasons JV has garnered such interest is because of not only the position he plays but the type of player/skills the Raps needed from that position (ala a Chandler type). What JV has shown in this tournament so far is that he is exactly that type of player foremost with all the other tangibles possibly. And he is not shy about carrying his team either. The man plays as an inside player and guarding the rim is his game. And he is doing it within his peer group. So, I dont understand why these skills and traits cannot translate to the next level at his age given his mindset to succeed. A few days someone posted a quote from Jonathan Givony of Draftexpress who said (I paraphrase) that JV was the best Centre at this tournament or who had as much impact since Bogut. I believe Bogut won an award of some kind there. And I think JV has much more fluidity/agility and I'll take Bogut anyday if not for his constant injuries. I dont think he wants to be a Pau Gasol type player either. I can actually see him "save" Bargs career with the Raps.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        We're not getting excited because all of a sudden Jonas is NBA ROY, MVP etc.
        We're getting excited because he is one of our own, and as a Fan of the team (and subsequently our players) then I have every right to buy into the Hype, and am able to think and believe anything I like.

The hustle and Determination I see from this kid has nothing to do with who he is playing against.
        His Heart, has nothing to do with who he is playing against.
        The stats may mean nothing, and maybe this tournament "is meaningless", but it is allowing most of us our first glance of a type of player that we have not seen in a VERY long time.

I'm buying all the hype I can get. Putting that shit lay away I'm buying so much.

Remember last year when Demar was killing it in Summer League, and some people were saying "Don't get to excited, it's only Summer League" ... In my opinion, this whole "Don't get excited, yet" attititude is for the people who aren't truly invested in the Raps as a team. Raptors fans should be excited, and should be happy about the way our Rookie is playing on a World Wide Stage. This is a legit World Championship, and seeing as I'm a fan of the game, and a fan of Jonas, then I will buy into the Hype.
        If you don't mind.
        I co-sign. If players get better playing this level during the off-season, then these games DO mean something, bottom line. Summer League or U19 Euro games, whatever, these games are put on for a reason. Whether he does well during the adult level or not, he shows huge promise and nothing says experience than experience...on whatever level. He's someone that brings hype to our team, in a time of unknowns and doubt. I'm on the bandwagon, too.
        The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
        Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
        www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
        http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
        http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

We're getting excited because he is one of our own, and as a Fan of the team (and subsequently our players) then I have every right to buy into the Hype, and am able to think and believe anything I like.

The hustle and Determination I see from this kid has nothing to do with who he is playing against.
          The stats may mean nothing, and maybe this tournament "is meaningless", but it is allowing most of us our first glance of a type of player that we have not seen in a VERY long time.

I'm buying all the hype I can get. Putting that shit lay away I'm buying so much.

Remember last year when Demar was killing it in Summer League, and some people were saying "Don't get to excited, it's only Summer League" ... In my opinion, this whole "Don't get excited, yet" attititude is for the people who aren't truly invested in the Raps as a team. Raptors fans should be excited, and should be happy about the way our Rookie is playing on a World Wide Stage. This is a legit World Championship, and seeing as I'm a fan of the game, and a fan of Jonas, then I will buy into the Hype.
          If you don't mind.
          I meant to say gym in my last post but damn iPhone lol. Everyone one that puts enough effort to visit this site to talk about the raptors are fans. Some of us are not getting excited because of the competetion level. Jonas would not even start if he was to play this year BC even said so because of his size but I do see potential and every game he dominates from now till when he comes over will help wi. Over the people like myself that wanted someone that was NBA ready and would play this year.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
            I meant to say gym in my last post but damn iPhone lol. Everyone one that puts enough effort to visit this site to talk about the raptors are fans. Some of us are not getting excited because of the competetion level. Jonas would not even start if he was to play this year BC even said so because of his size but I do see potential and every game he dominates from now till when he comes over will help wi. Over the people like myself that wanted someone that was NBA ready and would play this year.
            What ''this year''?
            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
              I don't mean don't get excited when if Jonas is doing well but there are those who are already writing songs and salvating about him as if he is going to be the next saviour of the franchise. Let the kid grow and be excited too if he just ends up averaging close to a double double in the NBA. Raptor fans are really good at hyping their athlete's but when reality sets in they come out of the woodwork when their precious stud doesn't quite become the player they envisioned.

I blame Vince Carter for this, that S.O.B came in looking like the next Jordan but after 3 seasons became a hasbeen nightmare.
              Are you a true Raps Fan Hotshot or just a part timer? I mean instead of saying (US RAPTORS FANS) you said Raptors fans.

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
                Are you a true Raps Fan Hotshot or just a part timer? I mean instead of saying (US RAPTORS FANS) you said Raptors fans.
                I try not to question whether or not someone is a fan, but he did use 'they' and 'their' as well. I caught that too. haha

Comment

[QUOTE=Hotshot;93161]Well its best not to have a knee jerk reaction in the end. Otherwise its going to be like Bargnani "oh he ain't no the next Dirk! at best he is a less athletic version of Rashard Lewis! we been had!!"

You mean like when you and the rest of the so called Raptor's fans booed Jonas on draft night? You mean that kind of knee jerk reaction?

Why can't you be happy that he is enjoying this success against other 19 year olds? These are supposedly the best 19 year old prospects in the world and he is eating their lunch. Why should we not be excited to see a future Raptor playing well against the best of the best from each country?

Comment

I think Raptors fans can take heart from JV's hustle and enthusiasm in this tournament. He has some athletic ability and good length and is going to get stronger and hopefully develop his skills, but above all else he brings it on the court through his effort and hard work which hopefully translates into success in the NBA down the road.

Comment

CT2010 wrote: View Post
                      Why can't you be happy that he is enjoying this success against other 19 year olds? These are supposedly the best 19 year old prospects in the world and he is eating their lunch. Why should we not be excited to see a future Raptor playing well against the best of the best from each country?
                      I agree. Some of the sentiments people have about him dominating his age group are along the lines of your 10 year old kid coming home from school with an A+ on his last math exam and instead of feeling good for him you say "big deal, it's not like it was advance calculus or anything..."

Had Jonas played horrible it would have been the end of the world in here but because he played well the board is split between elation and skepticism.

Comment

If you don't mind.
                        Great, great (great) post Joey

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                          Well its best not to have a knee jerk reaction in the end. Otherwise its going to be like Bargnani "oh he ain't no the next Dirk! at best he is a less athletic version of Rashard Lewis! we been had!!"

Jonas ain't going to be the next Pau Gasol, that's the hype.

What is the reality is possibility of being the next Tyson Chandler or Andris Biedrins.
                          One thing that has really impressed me, which seperates him from chandler and especially biedrins, is his free throw percentage. At this point in the tournament he is 2nd overall at 84.9% (leader is at 85%). There are a lot of great energy guys that shoot a horrible free throw percentage and become less effective at the end of games. As well, and I am no shooting technician, I would think that his mid range shot shouldn't be difficult to improve with the fundamentals being in place.

Comment

I agree with all the other "hype buyers". Our team blows and there is a long road ahead before the Raptors are any good and he is hopefully a glimpse of the future. Now time for some stats.

2008 U16 FIBA World Championship tournament MVP (14.3ppg - 11.1rpg - 2.3bpg)
                            2010 U18 FIBA World Championship tournament MVP (19.4ppg - 13.4rpg - 2.7bpg)
                            Would be surprised if he is not U19 MVP, currently averaging: 21.4ppg - 14.9rpg - 3.7bpg

The 2007 U17 tournament didn't exist so he is going for his 3rd straight tournament MVP. Against his own age group he tears his competition apart. Also his domination is increasing over time, every stat has increased over the previous tournaments stat. But he isn't playing against men, so he are the stats of when does.

Lithuanian League:

Raw stats: -- 33gms - 21mpg - 11.5ppg - 7.3rpg - 1.8bpg
                            Per 36 stats: 33gms - 36mpg - 19.7ppg - 12.5rpg - 3.1bpg

EuroLeague:

Raw stats: -- 15gms - 15mpg - 7.7ppg - 5.8rpg - 0.7bpg
                            Per 36 stats: 15gms - 36mpg - 17.9ppg - 13.5rpg - 1.6bpg

Those are his numbers playing against real men and the EuroLeague stats are him playing against the best teams and players in europe. He is just 19 and everywhere he goes he just kicks ass, and so we hear he has all the passion in the world. I think he will do great in the men's tournament in August. If anything lets add more hype! And if nobody else cares then hopefully at least Tom Liston will appreciate looking at these beautiful numbers.

Comment

Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Jul 10, 2011, 11:27 AM. Reason: uncalled for

Comment

thatguythere wrote: View Post
                                I agree with all the other "hype buyers". Our team blows and there is a long road ahead before the Raptors are any good and he is hopefully a glimpse of the future. Now time for some stats.

2008 U16 FIBA World Championship tournament MVP (14.3ppg - 11.1rpg - 2.3bpg)
                                2010 U18 FIBA World Championship tournament MVP (19.4ppg - 13.4rpg - 2.7bpg)
                                Would be surprised if he is not U19 MVP, currently averaging: 21.4ppg - 14.9rpg - 3.7bpg

The 2007 U17 tournament didn't exist so he is going for his 3rd straight tournament MVP. Against his own age group he tears his competition apart. Also his domination is increasing over time, every stat has increased over the previous tournaments stat. But he isn't playing against men, so he are the stats of when does.

Lithuanian League:

Raw stats: -- 33gms - 21mpg - 11.5ppg - 7.3rpg - 1.8bpg
                                Per 36 stats: 33gms - 36mpg - 19.7ppg - 12.5rpg - 3.1bpg

EuroLeague:

Raw stats: -- 15gms - 15mpg - 7.7ppg - 5.8rpg - 0.7bpg
                                Per 36 stats: 15gms - 36mpg - 17.9ppg - 13.5rpg - 1.6bpg

Those are his numbers playing against real men and the EuroLeague stats are him playing against the best teams and players in europe. He is just 19 and everywhere he goes he just kicks ass, and so we hear he has all the passion in the world. I think he will do great in the men's tournament in August. If anything lets add more hype! And if nobody else cares then hopefully at least Tom Liston will appreciate looking at these beautiful numbers.
                                Nice one. I was actually trying to find the stats from those tournaments earlier.
                                It shows that he is capable to adjusting and growing his game too accomodate stronger competition.
                                Thats what it shows me, anyway.
                                Given Solid coaching and proper training, the sky is the limit for this kid.
                                Whether or not he gets there is yet to be seen. But for now, we can dream.
                                Last edited by Joey; Fri Jul 8, 2011, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X