Valanciunas is the next...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Actually, Noah is a better team defender than man to man. Not sure why you think it's the other way around. Noah's biggest weakness defensively is that he doesn't have the strength or bulk to be a good post defender, at this point. Team-wise, though, his agility and hustle make him a game changer.
    I was much more impressed with Val's help side defense than his on the ball defense in the tournament. Feel like I am beating a dead horse but, once again, this resembles Noah (as you have stated Tim).

Comment

BC Boy wrote: View Post
      I was much more impressed with Val's help side defense than his on the ball defense in the tournament. Feel like I am beating a dead horse but, once again, this resembles Noah (as you have stated Tim).
      Ya, this sort of thing is common with young, skinny guys like Valanciunas. Post defense is done with strength and positioning. That's why older guys are usually much better post defenders.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Ya, this sort of thing is common with young, skinny guys like Valanciunas. Post defense is done with strength and positioning. That's why older guys are usually much better post defenders.
        I haven't read much of the Valanciunas and Bargnani could work defensively" thread; however, Bargnani's on the ball defense is his strength (defensively I mean), probably because he has a strong base. So, I could see these 2 working well together (and I do envision Val's on the ball defense improving with strength as well).

Comment

According to khandor:

"For Valanciunas: Strength #1 is his ability to run the floor in transition [both, defensively and offensively];
          Strength #2 is his ability to rebound the basketball;
          Strength #4 is his ability to finish offensive rebounds and recovered loose balls around the basket;
          Strength #5 is his ability to block shots;
          Strength #6 is his ability to make his FTs; and,
          Strength #7 is his highly competitive Leadership.
          In all likelihood he is going to be a very solid NBA player for a 10+ year period of time."

Although I have no idea who khandor is and why he skipped the mysterious 3rd strength, it is always good to hear someone else's opinion.
          Last edited by BC Boy; Tue Jul 12, 2011, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Does this mean we might get to see my favorite comparison go against Valanciunas?

Noah To Play For French National Team

Comment

I still think you guys are focusing on the wrong guys and missing the two best comparisons. He is a shorter, lighter Yao Ming (very similar skill set right down to the FT shooting for a 7 footer) or a taller Amir Johnson. If you somehow morphed the two together, I think you come up with JV ...

Comment

BC Boy wrote: View Post
                I haven't read much of the Valanciunas and Bargnani could work defensively" thread; however, Bargnani's on the ball defense is his strength (defensively I mean), probably because he has a strong base. So, I could see these 2 working well together (and I do envision Val's on the ball defense improving with strength as well).
                On ball defense isn't a strength of Bargnani. It's simply the "least weakness". It's still not good.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                  I still think you guys are focusing on the wrong guys and missing the two best comparisons. He is a shorter, lighter Yao Ming (very similar skill set right down to the FT shooting for a 7 footer) or a taller Amir Johnson. If you somehow morphed the two together, I think you come up with JV ...
                  I already compared Valanciunas to Amir, but I really don't see the comparison to Yao. At all. Yao, as far as I have seen, has always been pretty polished on offense, is a pretty methodical player and isn't a high energy player, like Valaniunas is.
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I already compared Valanciunas to Amir, but I really don't see the comparison to Yao. At all. Yao, as far as I have seen, has always been pretty polished on offense, is a pretty methodical player and isn't a high energy player, like Valaniunas is.
                    You did compare him to Amir ... and I thought the comparison was a good one. At the very least, mentioning Amir got someone to respond to my Yao comparison .. which I think is a better one than the ones Ive seen on this thread (outside of Amir).

Bedrins and Noah are both nos for me. Both are awful shooters outside of 5 feet (and from the FT line). While you can describe Noah and JV as energy players .. its a totally different type of enrgy player. Noah is extremely athletic .. JV is not (but is extremely long, which makes up for average athleticism). Their motors might be similar, but because athleticism is not, I find the comparison weak (especially when you consider their shooting touches .. Noah is awful offensively and GREAT defensively .. JV looks to solid (but not outstanding) at both.

Chandler? Same issue .. simply not nearly as athletic. Same ratio of solid defensively and offensively (Chandler more skewed D, JV more skewed O).

Thats where I come to Yao. Name me another 7 foot post player (ex Dirk, AB types) with the same FT shooting touch as JV? They are also similar on teh defensive end .. not overly athletic, but get by with their length.

Yes, Yao is obviously taller and wider .. but looking at him as the TYPE of player (not necessarily as the player in terms of success) is much more instructive than expecting a Chandler or Noah type.

Comment

You did compare him to Amir ... and I thought the comparison was a good one. At the very least, mentioning Amir got someone to respond to my Yao comparison .. which I think is a better one than the ones Ive seen on this thread (outside of Amir).

Bedrins and Noah are both nos for me. Both are awful shooters outside of 5 feet (and from the FT line). While you can describe Noah and JV as energy players .. its a totally different type of enrgy player. Noah is extremely athletic .. JV is not (but is extremely long, which makes up for average athleticism). Their motors might be similar, but because athleticism is not, I find the comparison weak (especially when you consider their shooting touches .. Noah is awful offensively and GREAT defensively .. JV looks to solid (but not outstanding) at both.

Chandler? Same issue .. simply not nearly as athletic. Same ratio of solid defensively and offensively (Chandler more skewed D, JV more skewed O).

Thats where I come to Yao. Name me another 7 foot post player (ex Dirk, AB types) with the same FT shooting touch as JV? They are also similar on teh defensive end .. not overly athletic, but get by with their length.

Yes, Yao is obviously taller and wider .. but looking at him as the TYPE of player (not necessarily as the player in terms of success) is much more instructive than expecting a Chandler or Noah type.
                      I think my comparison of a Young Sabonis is far closer than Yao.

Yao is a beast all his own. At 7'6", he's no longer "a 7 foot post player".
                      He's "a 7 and a half foot post player", which makes him basically impossible to compare anyone too.
                      Jonas is far more explosive that Yao ever was.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        I think my comparison of a Young Sabonis is far closer than Yao.

Yao is a beast all his own. At 7'6", he's no longer "a 7 foot post player".
                        He's "a 7 and a half foot post player", which makes him basically impossible to compare anyone too.
                        Jonas is far more explosive that Yao ever was.
                        Young Sabonis might be a better comparison .. the reality is I didnt really ever see that guy play. Ive heard the oos and ahhs about his unbelievable passing skills, shooting range and even athleticism (the latter of which is hard to imagine based on the guy I saw in the NBA . but the first two not at all. )

Even that, though, Im not sure Jonas will ever be as good a long range shooter, or passer as Sabonis was. I think his skills (good 15 footer, FT shooter, good rebounder, only ok athleticism) remind me more of Yao than what I understand the young Sabonis to be (altough, as I note .. I cant see Ive seen much footage .. just heard the stories)

Comment

I'm not sure why you're down on Valanciunas' athleticism. He's not a high flyer, but that doesn't mean he's not athletic. Noah isn't a high flyer, either. In fact I'd say their athleticism is pretty similar. He's very agile, quick, can run the floor like a small forward. What more do you want? Take a look as some highlights...
                          http://youtu.be/c2nqy4EhpXM

How many 7 footers move like that? That's one of the reasons he's got so much potential. Valanciunas wasn't just one of the longer players on the court. He also was faster and more athletic than most of the guys he was playing against. If Valanciunas were 6'9, he'd still be an NBA player. If Yao were 6'9, I don't know if he would have been. Just because they can both shoot free throws doesn't make them comparable. Valanciunas has far more in common with Noah (motor, rebounding, defense, quickness, agility) than Yao (length, free throw shooting).
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Young Sabonis might be a better comparison .. the reality is I didnt really ever see that guy play. Ive heard the oos and ahhs about his unbelievable passing skills, shooting range and even athleticism (the latter of which is hard to imagine based on the guy I saw in the NBA . but the first two not at all. )

Even that, though, Im not sure Jonas will ever be as good a long range shooter, or passer as Sabonis was. I think his skills (good 15 footer, FT shooter, good rebounder, only ok athleticism) remind me more of Yao than what I understand the young Sabonis to be (altough, as I note .. I cant see Ive seen much footage .. just heard the stories)
                            I've posted two Videos of a Young Sabonis in this very thread.
                            Go have a look. I think you'd be surprised.

Young Sabonis looks NOTHING like the Sabonis that played in the NBA.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              I've posted two Videos of a Young Sabonis in this very thread.
                              Go have a look. I think you'd be surprised.

Young Sabonis looks NOTHING like the Sabonis that played in the NBA.
                              The beauty of no youtube at work. Will check them out later ...

Comment

The beauty of no youtube at work. Will check them out later ...
                                Haha Indeed.

Gets me everytime.

Comment

Working...
                                X