Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sebastian Pruiti: How Jonas Valanciunas Opens Things Up For His Teammates

http://nbaplaybook.com/2011/07/11/ho...his-teammates/

So why is this important to NBA (and more importantly Raptor) fans? While Valanciunas was playing against weaker competition during the u19 World Championships, Valanciunas on the pick and roll and on the offensive glass is something that will give pro teams problems. Meaning that at the NBA-level, Valanciunas will still be able to create opportunities for his teammates out of pick and roll sets and off of offensive rebounding opportunities.
    Intangibles are universal.

Comment

good article, shows the things that do not show up on the stats but rather show up on your teamates stats.
      The ability to improve the team by just being there is what makes star players so important in this league. When defences and offences have to change their game plan because you are on the floor, you have just put your team in a huge advantage. JV showed his willingness to pass out of a double team (something AB has never done in his life) and I think couldve gotten at least 4 more assists in the finals game i watched if his team just hit the shots. I also saw some pretty good bounce passes and I think JV has the ability to be one of those underrated passers, something Andrea was supposed to be, but I never witnessed it...
      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Initially i was bothered that Jonas did not seem to have great leaping ability. However, the thing about JV is that he's VERY QUICK off his feet and very long arms, which enables him to get both offensive and defensive rebounds. This also enables him to recover on defense to block shots. He seems to have close to perfected the pick and roll play which seems quite rare in the NBA today. Last time I saw the pick and roll done this often was when Malone and Stockton was together. But the thing I love about his game the most is that he lives in and the near the paint... a true center with quick instincts. His passing is also underrated. So when will the JV #17 jersey be available?

Comment

Really nice highlights from the U19 MVP: our very own Jonas Valanciunas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2nqy4EhpXM

Comment

Jaworski wrote: View Post
            Really nice highlights from the U19 MVP: our very own Jonas Valanciunas

Put [ video] and [/video] in front, and after the link to get it to show in the post.
            Or just click the little video link in the bar above the posting box, and paste it in there.
            (I think I posted this in another thread actually. Its a great clip.)
            Last edited by Joey; Mon Jul 11, 2011, 11:14 PM.

Comment

@enlightenment: there are many flaws with Andrea Bargnani, but not passing out of double teams is not one of them. He did it all year.

Comment

Jaworski wrote: View Post
                Initially i was bothered that Jonas did not seem to have great leaping ability. However, the thing about JV is that he's VERY QUICK off his feet and very long arms, which enables him to get both offensive and defensive rebounds. This also enables him to recover on defense to block shots. He seems to have close to perfected the pick and roll play which seems quite rare in the NBA today. Last time I saw the pick and roll done this often was when Malone and Stockton was together. But the thing I love about his game the most is that he lives in and the near the paint... a true center with quick instincts. His passing is also underrated. So when will the JV #17 jersey be available?
                And timing. To be a good blocker and offensive rebounder especially one needs good timing which can mitigate leaping ability.

Comment

malefax wrote: View Post
                  @enlightenment: there are many flaws with Andrea Bargnani, but not passing out of double teams is not one of them. He did it all year.
                  I dont know I witnessed either, dribble to the edge of the court for a hand off, or, a hail mary at the basket (which goes in more than average to his credit).
                  The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Working...
                  X