Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonas Emerging (RealGM Article)

Interesting read. Here's a glimpse...
    The most difficult aspect of evaluating Toronto Raptors’ draft pick Jonas Valanciunas before the draft was his level of competition. Unlike his American counterparts, he turned pro at 16, competing against grown men instead of amateurs.

He was a 19-year-old role player on his club team (Lietuvos Rytas) last season, playing 14 minutes per game and rarely having much offense run for him. The vast majority of his points came off rebounds, hustle plays and cuts to the basket.

But in the FIBA U-19 World Championships earlier this month, Valanciunas was given the opportunity to be a primary offensive option and compete against his age group. His dominant performance, leading Lithuania to the championship and earning the tournament MVP, showed why he might become the steal of the 2011 draft.

At 6’11, 240 with a 7’6 wingspan, Valanciunas takes up a lot of space on the court; his length, foot-speed and energy level make him an extremely effective interior defender. In contrast to the stereotype surrounding many European big men, he defends the rim with tenacity and isn’t afraid to bang down-low.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/article...#ixzz1S0uV5xHc
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Hed be a ROY candidate if he played this season, I think theres a possibility he becomes the best in this draft.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

I think he's going to take a few seasons to get used to the NBA game. Like many International players I feel he'll probably struggle with fouls early on. That's not to play a stereotype, it's just that certain things that are NBA fouls are not fouls Internationally. I don't think you'll see him struggle with it as much as Bargnani did though. Part of Bargnani's problems was that he fundamentally didn't know how to play defense and he obviously doesn't like playing defense. He got exposed a lot and was forced to do sloppy things to try and compensate. That led to more fouls.

Comment

I agree with Apollo its not gonna be an overnight transition. I think he will be a solid player but one who won't get there until he is 22-23, that may be one of the reasons why BC "plans" to look for a center in FA"

Comment

As much as a lot of people disliked the pick on draft night, the momentum is swinging the other way lately, bordering on over-hype. It would be interesting to see more of Jonas in the Euroleague (hopefully playing more minutes) where there are more players of his size to defend him.

For those who wanted to pick Kanter over him (or everyone else) though, now that you guys have seen more of Jonas' game, would you still want Kanter had he been available at 5?

Comment

This is a strong quote. Jonas was the absolute steal of the draft

. If Valanciunas doesn’t improve at all as a player, he would still be worth the #5 pick. If he does, he might have been worth taking #1 overall.

Comment

I am wondering if Bargnani and Jonas will get along. Seeing how Jonas is pretty fiery and takes defense seriously, and how Bargs often seems disinterested in playing defense, any bets on if/when Jonas opens his mouth about it and calls out our Italian friend?

Comment

jlongs wrote: View Post
                As much as a lot of people disliked the pick on draft night, the momentum is swinging the other way lately, bordering on over-hype. It would be interesting to see more of Jonas in the Euroleague (hopefully playing more minutes) where there are more players of his size to defend him.

For those who wanted to pick Kanter over him (or everyone else) though, now that you guys have seen more of Jonas' game, would you still want Kanter had he been available at 5?
                There was a lot more talk around here about Kanter before the draft and yes I wanted him more than Jonas. Since then Jonas has had a very impressive tournament and we know more about him and his style of play which is hard not to like.
                To answer your question yes I've changed my mind but that just means Kanter will probably become the better NBA player. It's just the way my luck has been going.

Comment

JYFelony wrote: View Post
                  I am wondering if Bargnani and Jonas will get along. Seeing how Jonas is pretty fiery and takes defense seriously, and how Bargs often seems disinterested in playing defense, any bets on if/when Jonas opens his mouth about it and calls out our Italian friend?
                  The last thing Bargnani needs is somebody out there who approaches the blue collar work like he does. Bargnani played his best ball last season before Reggie Evans went down.

Comment

JYFelony wrote: View Post
                    Between JV, Davis, Amir and Casey...who knows maybe surrounding Bargs in the culture of defence will bring it out in him.

Comment

having played 3 and 4 in college, I've felt that intensity on defence affects the accuracy of my jump shot. I've got no legs left to make a consistent shot. However, when i play an inside game as a 4, I am still able to play intensely on defence. So perhaps Bargnani knows this and he's keeping himself from getting too tired to make his jump shots. Whereas Jonas relies more on his athleticism rather than precision to get his points.
                      Last edited by Jaworski; Wed Jul 13, 2011, 07:15 PM.

Comment

It seems to me that people have the impression that inside players are more blue collar or hard working than perimeter players because they get the bulk of the rebounds, charges and blocks. As a 4, I've felt it was also more bruising to play inside, you get flying elbows, alot of pushing and mixing of sweat. As I get older and after having kids, I tend to play more of a perimeter game. But I just want to say that let's not be too quick to judge a player's work ethic by the position they play. It's often the Evans, Varejaos and Jonas that gets the credit because of the role they play in a team. But can we name the blue collar perimeter players in the NBA?

Comment

Jaworski wrote: View Post
                          But can we name the blue collar perimeter players in the NBA?
                          Tony Allen, Shane Battier, Gerald Wallace, Ron Artest, Sefolosha, Ronnie Brewer off the top of my head.

I think Trevor Ariza and Shaun Marion could be on that list aswell.

Then ofcourse in recent history Bruce Bowen who was the epitome of it, and Raja Bell.

There's no shortage of blue collar guys at most positions (probably alot less at PG though... but still I think someone like Derek Fischer is as blue collar as it gets). The blue collar perimeter players just don't get playing time in Toronto......

Comment

jlongs wrote: View Post

I was one who wanted Kanter, but Valanciunas was my second choice. I don't think I've changed my mind, but I'm certainly interested to see how both of them perform. I do understand, now, why so many scouts felt he had more upside.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                              Tony Allen, Shane Battier, Gerald Wallace, Ron Artest, Sefolosha, Ronnie Brewer off the top of my head.

I think Trevor Ariza and Shaun Marion could be on that list aswell.

Then ofcourse in recent history Bruce Bowen who was the epitome of it, and Raja Bell.

There's no shortage of blue collar guys at most positions (probably alot less at PG though... but still I think someone like Derek Fischer is as blue collar as it gets). The blue collar perimeter players just don't get playing time in Toronto......
                              Rasheed Wallace is my All-Time Blue Collar.
                              Ben Wallace too.

And of course our very own Reggie Evans.

I think you got most of them though.

Comment

Working...
                              X