Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official: Stefanski VP of Basketball Operations (#116)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kind of sidebar...I saw an article today where in his new book West says that He and Phil Jackson did not get along period (it was PJ's fault apparently). It seems that Buss might well have had something to do with his hiring and West departing from LA might have well been the result.

Personally I think Lindsey is probably the best choice and hope he gets/takes the position....regardless.

Comment

Reportedly, Portland is re-starting their search for a new GM. Lindsey is no longer in the running. Reportedly, again, Lindsey and/or San Antonio got fed up with the process and told the Blazers he was no longer interested or available.

I'm still wondering what is going on with the Raptors. It has been very quiet of late with regards to this.

Comment

According to Adrian Wojnarowski, Ed Stefanski is in advanced talks to become the GM of the Raptors.

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...efanski_100711
        http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post
          According to Adrian Wojnarowski, Ed Stefanski is in advanced talks to become the GM of the Raptors.

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...efanski_100711
          Wow. That was only reported an hour ago. THanks Shantz.

For what it is worth, he is the guy I was least rooting for. Boo.

The Raptors need a guy to help BC control free agent binges so they bring in Elton Brand's sugar-daddy? Ugh.

EDIT: Although he did fleece Toronto for Wince Carter.
          Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Oct 7, 2011, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Wow. That was only reported an hour ago. THanks Shantz.

For what it is worth, he is the guy I was least rooting for. Boo.

The Raptors need a guy to help BC control free agent binges so they bring in Elton Brand's sugar-daddy? Ugh.
            I gotta agree, I'm not a huge fan of this selection either. From what I can tell Stefanski does not bring any additional strengths to the team. He does not have a real history of winning trades (Edit: Except for Vince, I forgot he was with the Nets then), or making big picks in the draft (fairly horrendous track record).

Could BC be paying Stefanski back for taking Kapano off our hands?
            Last edited by Shantz; Fri Oct 7, 2011, 07:33 PM.

Comment

I gotta agree, I'm not a huge fan of this selection either. From what I can tell Stefanski does not bring any additional strengths to the team. He does not have a real history of winning trades, or making big picks in the draft.

Could BC be paying Stefanski back for taking Kapano off our hands?
              Here is Ed's entire GM career:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...tefaed99x.html

Comment

Woj does mention that the Blazers are wanting to hire Stefanski as well, but that he is relunctant unless he is given permission to report directly under Paul Allen. I suppose if the Blazers really want him they could provide him with that concession.

Comment

Woj does mention that the Blazers are wanting to hire Stefanski as well, but that he is relunctant unless he is given permission to report directly under Paul Allen. I suppose if the Blazers really want him they could provide him with that concession.
                  I don't think that will happen. The power structure in Portland has always been an issue from my recollection. Paul Allen is a demanding owner who must be sold on every move. Larry Miller, the team president, is also very 'hands on' and there has been issues in the past of his interference - again from my recollection. All of this is tied in with Pritchard as well. Who knows what the truth is.

As the Oregonian reported on Friday, Stefanski has been targeted again as a candidate in the Portland Trail Blazers’ GM search. He turned down the job several years ago as a New Jersey Nets executive, and sources said Stefanski hasn’t been interested in the Blazers job this time around unless he can report directly to owner Paul Allen.
                  Woj is one of the more reliable NBA reporters though.

Comment

I don't think that will happen. The power structure in Portland has always been an issue from my recollection. Paul Allen is a demanding owner who must be sold on every move. Larry Miller, the team president, is also very 'hands on' and there has been issues in the past of his interference - again from my recollection. All of this is tied in with Pritchard as well. Who knows what the truth is.

Woj is one of the more reliable NBA reporters though.
                    I trust Woj a lot. Time and time again he has shown himself reliable. But what he says is not that Stefanski would want autonomy with the Blazers, but that he would want to report directly to Allen. This does not seem like a stretch if you look at the executives they have in place. Based on this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ers_executives) it seems like Cho would have reported to Allen, but I may be mis-reading things.

Comment

I trust Woj a lot. Time and time again he has shown himself reliable. But what he says is not that Stefanski would want autonomy with the Blazers, but that he would want to report directly to Allen. This does not seem like a stretch if you look at the executives they have in place. Based on this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ers_executives) it seems like Cho would have reported to Allen, but I may be mis-reading things.
                      I see the chain of command as

owner ---> president -----> GM

My interpretation would be Stefanski wants to be in a situation where the only person he has to sell on a roster/team decision is Allen. He would not want to have to go through Miller to get to Allen.

I realize I could be entirely wrong but that is my interpretation of the article.

Comment

EDIT: Although he did fleece Toronto for Wince Carter.
                        Actually, Rod THorn was in charge of the Nets when they did that. Thorn was pretty much responsible for all the good things the Nets did in the last decade. It makes sense, then, that they didn't want him anymore.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                          Actually, Rod THorn was in charge of the Nets when they did that. Thorn was pretty much responsible for all the good things the Nets did in the last decade. It makes sense, then, that they didn't want him anymore.
                          Basketball-reference.com gives the credit to Stefanski. Did Thorn become the President at the end of the 2003-2004 season and Stefanski take over the role of GM?

Comment

I think Colangelo is going to be a very hands on President if this is where he's heading.

Comment

AlexKennedyNBA: Ed Stefanski is expected be hired as the next general manager of the Toronto Raptors, according to league sources.
                              Alex Kennedy (HoopsWorld.com) Twitter.

Comment

It's down to Stefanski and Bower

Man, I'm going through withdrawals! It has come down to waiting who the next GM is. Bower or Stefanski. I say neither.

Source
                                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Working...
                                X