Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official: Stefanski VP of Basketball Operations (#116)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Maybe for George Dub-ya but the banks are leading Owe-bama around by his male-bits.
    either way, the US president is basically Howdy Doody on the knees of "Big Money"

just like i think this new "GM" will be

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
      Is this a joke? You're hiring a GM that wouldn't have the final say on player personnel? What are you hiring a GM for, as precedence has indicted that is EXACTLY the job of the GM on the other 31 teams in the league.
      What two new expansion teams are you including in that poignant analysis?

Also, this isn't that much different from what Chicago did with Paxson and Forman. Only after the Paxson-Del Negro incident did Forman get more say as GM.

In the end, you're making way too big a deal over labels.

Comment

While putting players on the court is definitely the biggest job of running a franchise, a GM or President of Basketball Operations has much more than this.

Here is an article from 2003 (dated, I now) following Billy Knight (then GM with the 76ers) for a day: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_111306266/

At the end of the day, the GM usually reports a trade to someone above (President or owner). There are very few dual role presidents and GM's in the league that I am aware of - Popovich was once president and GM but dropped GM duties for coaching but has retained president. I'm struggling to think of another besides BC.

Also remember the Calderon trade last summer? The GM's had it done until.....

I am not aware of Ujiri ever being replaced - is this Ujiri's replacement with assistant dropped from the title? Would the Raps create better candidates advertising for a GM job rather than an Asst GM job?

Is BC trying to remove himself from the public eye?

Is this another move to re-create the culture of the franchise moving forward? Hiring Casey was a good start.

Colangelo has been known to surround himself with many basketball minds. Having many differing opinions certainly is a better way to make a decision than all on your own. At the end of the day, titles really don't matter as long as people know who is boss - in Toronto's case there is no doubt it is Colangelo. In San Antonio it is Popovich. In Charlotte it is Jordan. etc. etc.

Comment

I'm sure there's a ton of stuff that Coangelo is responsible for as Pres and GM. Having someone do the day to day gm operations is not a bad idea.
          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Bryan Colangelo has been in this situation for, although the role was reversed. In Phoenix, his dad called all the shots even though young Bryan was the "GM".
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

stefanski no, other 2 sure.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ATT wrote: View Post
                when did talks of a new GM start?
                Phew .... I thought I was the only one who was thinking that.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                  Phew .... I thought I was the only one who was thinking that.
                  This was not quite the homerun that Jeter hit for his 3000th... congrats none the less for 3000 posts!

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                    Bryan Colangelo has been in this situation for, although the role was reversed. In Phoenix, his dad called all the shots even though young Bryan was the "GM".
                    So in other words, this job posting should read:

Who wants me to be their daddy?!

Comment

In the Toronto Sun article you've posted it mentions that:

"That wouldn’t mean the new addition would have final say though. While a fan of a consensus, brainstorming approach, Colangelo has always been an executive who gets the final word and that would not change."

Is this a joke? You're hiring a GM that wouldn't have the final say on player personnel? What are you hiring a GM for, as precedence has indicted that is EXACTLY the job of the GM on the other 31 teams in the league.

LOL. This is getting to be comical and it amazes me why no one calls Colangelo out on this kind of stuff. To me it's a way of insualting oneself so when things are good (if they become good) they can take credit, but if things go awry they can blame the new guy, who in essence is an "idea contributor". lol

If Colangelo is the final word he should wear and continue to wear the GM hat and be responsible for this roster he has assembled. Bring in a consultant if you want more "brain storming". Hiring a GM who wouldn't have final say makes no sense to me and reeks of political posturing.
                      As Matt said, this isn't anything unique. There are several teams with a different president and GM. The fact that they are two different job titles tells you something right there. This is only good news as it would hopefully bring in someone who has different strengths that Colangelo. There's far, far more to running a club than making trades and drafting.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

For the record, Danny Ferry did a great job as GM with Cleveland. He left over creative differences.

Comment

There are also many gm's who have to run every trade by ownership. I read in an other post that BC had to do this too and was vetoed on at least one occassion? In general I think already calling this scapegoating etc. is a bit ill faithed.

Comment

Matt52 alluded to this earlier...advertising the gm position not only opens up the interest level in the position but also permits a current holder of asst. gm with another team take the job (it is an unwritten understanding that personnel are not held back from a promotion elsewhere). At this point it would be naive to think the new hiree would have final say in all basketball matters with BC around. Another reason for such a hire may possibly be a condition of the extension given BC. Maybe BC cares not to hang around beyond the current contract. Abscribing all manner of negative and machiavellian reasoning is amusing.

Comment

What is Bryan Colangelo if not President and GM of this team?

If he's looking to hire a GM, why is he making any comments or decisions on player personnel when a new GM would (should) have the autonomy to build this team as they see fit?

Why did he hire a new coach if he's looking for a new GM? Wouldn't that have been their first order of business?

What are we currently paying BC? I have heard no news of the financial details of his extension, but was he extended to be Presidnet/GM or just President of the team?

What GM in their right mind would want the challenge of taking over this roster Colangelo has put together?
                              Well, lots of people were petitioning for diety status for Bryan, and this is as close as Tanenbaum could get it.

This way, they just jettison a lackey from the GM seat when things go wrong.

Comment

Halifax Raps Fan wrote: View Post
                                For the record, Danny Ferry did a great job as GM with Cleveland. He left over creative differences.
                                For the record, Ferry did a horrible job in Cleveland and should have been fired for incompetence long before he finally was. If you want a list of reasons he was horrible, I'm more than willing to give them.
                                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X