Is Jonas a PF or C?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Jonas a PF or C?

Keep in mind many of the writer's on HoopsWorld.com base their opinions on hearsay especially when it comes to the Raptors.

With that said, I have read in a number of chats their saying that Jonas will be a PF rather than a C at the NBA level. The last thing the Raptors need at this time is another PF.

On the other hand, DraftExpress has labelled him a pure centre with current, NBA, and possible all given a big "C" and no mention or hint of PF. When JV was drafted he also made it clear he is a C but he had to bulk up (that is the way I interpreted the CB comparison).

Personally I always thought of him as a C and he just needs to fill out his frame. HW seems to forget the guy just turned 19 and is a lean 6'11" with broad shoulders - he is not always going to be made of sticks and twigs.

What do you think?
    PF
    3.57%
    C
    92.86%
    I don't know.
    3.57%

This is the first time I've ever heard he might be a PF. He's a C, and even if he's not, he'll play C for the Raptors.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

i really cant see him playing anywhere but C

i hope he cant see it either.

the supply:demand of Cs compared to PFs will keep him employed well into his 40s if he doesn't waver on it.

Comment

He's seven feet tall and still growing. He plays deep in the post and thrives in the pick and roll. He blocks shots and anchors himself defensively under the basket. He has been labelled as a Centre in all of the teams he plays for...

What and who has said he's going to be a PF? And do we need an intervention to get them to step away from the crack pipe?

Comment

Gman wrote: View Post
          He's seven feet tall and still growing. He plays deep in the post and thrives in the pick and roll. He blocks shots and anchors himself defensively under the basket. He has been labelled as a Centre in all of the teams he plays for...

What and who has said he's going to be a PF? And do we need an intervention to get them to step away from the crack pipe?
          Pretty much my thoughts, as well.

These comments from the HoopsWorld staff are reminiscent of #2 and Johnny Flynn for #5 and DeMar talk they stirred up ahead of the draft.

Comment

wait what? this is the first ive heard of this.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

The poll has spoken. If 9 RR members can agree on anything basketball related then it must be true. Jonas is a Center.
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

It's always nice when basketballcomentators say something but don't think it's necessary to explain themselves. Leaves us guessing at their arguments. So, I guess some people think he'll be a power forward because scoutingreports say that Jonas isn't good at defending in the post (or posting up himself). A true center needs to be able to defend people posting up. It means he does not only need to bulk up (fill his frame) but needs to develop his lower body strength to become true center. See http://nbaplaybook.com/2011/07/14/dr...s-valanciunas/

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                  This is the first time I've ever heard he might be a PF. He's a C, and even if he's not, he'll play C for the Raptors.
                  Yeah, I never really thought about it before. It's a good question though.

I feel that once his body matures into a man he'll have packed on a lot of muscle to that big frame of his. He will be able to bang with the biggest of them and based on what I've seen and read, he's not going to avoid contact. He's going to sling it out like a true warrior of the paint. I feel that he has the athleticism to challenge people around the rim on offense and defense. I really hope he brings some nastiness in the paint on both sides once he matures. I want see him try and rip the rim off and not do those sissy layups Rasho used to be bring every night. Few things irk me more than a 7 footer who only using finesse around the bucket. Slamming it home is always a more sure bet against a defense than gingerly laying it in like you're doing an egg toss. It also gets your teammates going. Side note, no offense to Rasho, I was a fan of his overall game and a 2006 version of Rasho coming off the bench this season would be great. JV isn't a blank canvas BUT he's still young and impressionable. He can't get over here fast enough to start absorbing Dwayne Casey basketball. The fact that he will start his career under a no bull shit, punish the other offense kind of coach is comforting. I'm thinking JV's priorities in the league during his rookie and sophomore years will be defense, rebounding and more defense. Don't look for this guy to be posting 20PPG anytime soon. We should all be happy with an efficient 10PPG at best by the end of his first couple seasons.

Comment

Working...
                  X