Heat Require Curry To Lose 40 lbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Require Curry To Lose 40 lbs

Eddy Curry’s predicament is clear: If he loses at least 40 more pounds during the lockout, then the Heat likely will have renewed and genuine interest because Pat Riley remains highly intrigued by the 7-foot center. The question is whether he has the discipline to achieve that mighty challenge.

Curry, 28, reportedly topped 350 pounds during his late March workout for the Heat. He lost a lot more weight — in excess of 20 pounds — between that point and late June, when he auditioned again for the Heat over several days.

But he entered the lockout still at least 40 pounds overweight, according to a league official briefed on the situation. “You watch him shoot and he’s got great touch, good hands,” said a player source who was invited to Curry’s multiplayer Heat workouts in late June. “He’s very skilled. But it’s a question of whether he gets more serious. He’s got a long way to go.”
    Source: Miami Herald

Curry better hope for a looooong lockout.

If there is a basketball god then Curry should not be able to get a NBA contract. He's has a history of being one of those "sign and retire" guys whose previous contract with the Knicks is a driving force behind the NBA owners' current hardline stance on CBA negotiations.

Comment

His next contract is going to be pennies. I don't think he's coming back for the money. He was getting more in one month than he'll be able to get in a year with the Heat or anybody else now.

Comment

It's always about the money Apollo.

Comment

No it's not. Do you realize how much he's made? His next contract is going to be vet minimum. Dude blows that much on Twinkies in a week. Seriously, it's going to be such a small amount compared to what he's made that unless he's gone bankrupt it's an insignificant thing.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            No it's not. Do you realize how much he's made? His next contract is going to be vet minimum. Dude blows that much on Twinkies in a week. Seriously, it's going to be such a small amount compared to what he's made that unless he's gone bankrupt it's an insignificant thing.
            Ding Ding. There's an unbelievably high amount of NBA players who live basically paycheque to paycheque, despite making millions of dollars every season. I know it's hard for "regular people" to imagine casually blowing through this type of money but it happens all the time. Jewelery, cars, women, child support, poor business ventures, leeches from their past, etc. There's a troubling number of guys who fall into this trap. The lockout in 1999 showed us this.

Allen Iverson made over twice what Curry did, not to mention a TON of endorsement cash and he's dead broke. He ended up in Turkey just to get his next paycheque last season. Antoine Walker made over $100m during his career and had filed for bankruptcy within two years of being out of the NBA. Eddy Curry setting fire to $50 million is not unfathomable. I can recall two lawsuits against the guy off the top of my head... one from the mother of his child (who ended up being gravely murdered) and a bizarre case from his ex limo driver which involved sexual harassment. Does this sound like someone who has his life in check and is making good, sound decisions involving his money?

Plus if you don't think he's being motivated by money then that means you think he's doing this for.... what exactly? Personal pride? The man who quite literally ate himself out the league despite being paid $10 million dollars a year suddenly had an epiphany at 31 where he said that he's going to come back and show all the naysayers wrong even though he's sitting on a fat bank account and has no other reason to do it? No friggin way! Curry was in it for the money since the jump off and this is not an exception.
            Last edited by Fully; Mon Jul 18, 2011, 12:24 PM.

Comment

HOLY CRAP. 350 lbs!?!?!

dude makes Oliver Miller look like Keith Van Horn

Comment

I remember him having problems with paying back a loan against a crazy interest rate and renting an appartment for an also crazy amount a month. I'll look for it when I'm home.

Comment

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba-243600

Comment

That's the one, thanks. Some of these guys should only be getting an allowance of 3.000 a month and have the rest put in a savingsaccount out if their reach.

Comment

85% interest rate on a loan? Damn who's giving him advice? A magic 8-ball?

Last edited by Apollo; Mon Jul 18, 2011, 01:15 PM. Reason: edit

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                        That's the one, thanks. Some of these guys should only be getting an allowance of 3.000 a month and have the rest put in a savingsaccount out if their reach.
                        They're not 12. I think there should be a league requirement for all players to undergo some sort of weekend long financial management program where they can get a basic crash course in how to manage their money and plan for the future.

Comment

They're not 12. I think there should be a league requirement for all players to undergo some sort of weekend long financial management program where they can get a basic crash course in how to manage their money and plan for the future.
                          i always thought there was some kind of mandatory financial program like that for rookies.... or maybe i just made that up in my own head for the sake of "common sense"

Comment

There is a financial component to the rookie orientation camp, but considering that attendance is mandatory for all NBA newcomers, I'd be willing to bet that most of the advice falls upon deaf ears.

I remember reading an article in the Sun a few years ago that claimed that over 50% of NBA players are broke within 5 years of their career ending. That's a staggering number.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                              I remember reading an article in the Sun a few years ago that claimed that over 50% of NBA players are broke within 5 years of their career ending. That's a staggering number.
                              I believe the players league has some sort of program or 'workshop'. There they say it's 60%, which they call a 'ballpark number'. I think Apollo refered to this somewhere recently? As far as I know there has been no real research on the matter.

No, they're not 12, but some own 12 cars (like Curry). It's hard for young people who come into quick cash and have all their 'friends', their entourage, helping them spend their money, to make good money decisions. I was being sarcastic as I don't really think they should give players allowances, but it would not be bad to set up some programs which promote good money management. Of course in these days people who did that might have lost quite some money as well...

Comment

Working...
                              X