No announcement yet.

Raptors Power Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F@#% Marc Stein. I cannot remember him saying anything positive about the Raprors in recent memory. The guy is just another one of those american reporters who like taking punches at the canadian franchise.

Comment

Dumbass

Like, OMG, I totally did not see this coming. I think their real ranking, based on my predicted final record, will land them in at around #20.

I have one thing to say to Marc Stein: I think you're lazy. You have the brain power to figure this out properly, you just chose not to use it...

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        Like, OMG, I totally did not see this coming. I think their real ranking, based on my predicted final record, will land them in at around #20.

I have one thing to say to Marc Stein: I think you're lazy. You have the brain power to figure this out properly, you just chose not to use it...
        If ESPN elevates the Raptors pre-season power ratings that says that Bosh was really not good despite his numbers.

This becomes an attack on Riley and the Heat.

Something that ESPN does not want to do at this point.
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Acknowledging that the Raptors are not the 3rd worst team in the league does not in any way slight the Miami Heat, which in my opinion is a completely ridiculous way to operate in the first place even though I agree with your statement. I have a bad vibe about Bosh in Miami this season. I have no logic behind it, call in intuition if you like, but I feel like something is going to happen to crash his ego stroking party. Things have a funny way of evening out in the long run... For example, if that child support farce he went through in Toronto happened in Miami it would be front page on ESPN and Charles would be talking about it on TNT at CB4's expense. I think this year is going to be a case case of "be careful what you wish for because you just might get it". Let's see how Mr.Max money reacts to not getting the opportunities to live up to his contract while the media doesn't really give a crap if he isn't getting the opportunities and slams him anyway if they falter.
          Last edited by Apollo; Sat Sep 25, 2010, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Acknowledging that the Raptors are not the 3rd worst team in the league does not in any way slight the Miami Heat, which in my opinion is a completely ridiculous way to operate in the first place even though I agree with your statement. I have a bad vibe about Bosh in Miami this season. I have no logic behind it, call in intuition if you like, but I feel like something is going to happen to crash his ego stroking party. Things have a funny way of evening out in the long run... For example, if that child support farce he went through in Toronto happened in Miami it would be front page on ESPN and Charles would be talking about it on TNT at CB4's expense. I think this year is going to be a case case of "be careful what you wish for because you just might get it". Let's see how Mr.Max money reacts to not getting the opportunities to live up to his contract while the media doesn't really give a crap if he isn't getting the opportunities and slams him anyway if they falter.
            All valid points. Another thing to consider is his knee(s). I'll be glad not to be worrying about his knee after every game. For the Heat though, I don't think it would be a huge deal if he went down because Lebron can play 1-4. I think he might be the most versatile player in the game.

Comment

Then you have the new CBA in which the owners want a hard cap. The Heat are going to be hard pressed to fill out their roster with three max money guys. For those who don't know what a hard cap is, basically its a spending limit. After you reach that limit you're done. So for example if James, Wade and Bosh eat up 90% of the cap, the y have 10% left to spend on everyone else. They can't go over it, there is no such thing as "MLE" or "luxury tax" under a hard cap model. Right now you can call the current model a soft cap.

Comment

-_- i actually am surprised... damn 28 rly. Juss wow, i honeslty would have bet my own mother that they would've ranked the raps 30th in the league, they actually put two teams below us... juss brings a tear to my eye

Comment

Then you have the new CBA in which the owners want a hard cap. The Heat are going to be hard pressed to fill out their roster with three max money guys. For those who don't know what a hard cap is, basically its a spending limit. After you reach that limit you're done. So for example if James, Wade and Bosh eat up 90% of the cap, the y have 10% left to spend on everyone else. They can't go over it, there is no such thing as "MLE" or "luxury tax" under a hard cap model. Right now you can call the current model a soft cap.
                  Things might be bad for the Heat, but just imagine the Lakers with a hard cap.

Comment

The league and players are not going to intentionally kill the golden goose franchises that lay the golden eggs for all the NBA franchises, via revenue sharing and for all the NBA players.

Anyone who thinks this and I don't know that anyone here does, just doesn't understand the economics of the entertainment business that is the NBA.

Redistribution of wealth in talent from the golden goose cities and franchises to the other franchises and cities will not happen.

Just my opinion.
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

The Lakers get one vote in the owners meeting. So too do all the other "big market" teams. Who has the greater numbers are the round table? The top dogs or the league norm? How many teams needed a loan to pay the bills last year? My count is half. Big changes are coming. Most of the league doesn't benefit from big market favoritism or the current collective bargaining agreement.

Comment

Money is the ultimate driving force in sports. It is a business. Players do what is best for them and owners do what is best for them. Too many owners are losing money who have no shot at winning a title. Changes are coming, indeed.

Comment

I agree 100% Matt and if anyone doubts this then compare the NFL's success to the NBA. Readers Digest, the NFL is laying an ass kicking on them. This, with 16 game regular seasons, one game playoff series' and a game that's no more exciting to watch.
                          Last edited by Apollo; Sat Sep 25, 2010, 04:30 PM.

Comment

The Lakers get one vote in the owners meeting. So too do all the other "big market" teams. Who has the greater numbers are the round table? The top dogs or the league norm? How many teams needed a loan to pay the bills last year? My count is half. Big changes are coming. Most of the league doesn't benefit from big market favoritism or the current collective bargaining agreement.
                            We shall see. Don't bet on your position that is all I can say.

Of course after the agreement is finalized you will say that everything is a big change just to support your position but the teams in the major TV market cities will continue to be among the best with a few exceptions each year,

P.S. You nor I have any clue as to what the real financial numbers are for the league or the franchises. All we have is what some people write in the SLSM, which I consider basically worthless.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                              We shall see. Don't bet on your position that is all I can say.
                              Well that was a waste of time because you immediately went on to say

the teams in the major TV market cities will continue to be among the best with a few exceptions each year
                              Which I agree with, because they will still have their same rosters. However, if a hard cap is employed then their reign at the top will at least be challenging to maintain instead of expected.

P.S. You nor I have any clue as to what the real financial numbers are for the league or the franchises. All we have is what some people write in the SLSM, which I consider basically worthless.
                              No, I don't know the exact numbers but I know the league had to take out a loan last year of $200M to distribute to half the league owners so that they could pay the bills. I also know that there is a group of owners who are saying that they would lose less money by just closing the doors than to continue on as is. This situation is very similar to the NHL lockout. The owners there played hardball until the players had to cave. They did this because they had no choice and not just as a negotiation tactic. It worked and now the NHL has a manageable system for the current economic environment by way of a hard cap. Needless to say, what I just said is a little more valuable than "worthless" to say the least.

Moving on, I also know what is going on state side both politically and economically and it is troubling to say the least. They are at the dawn of a wide spread commercial real estate crisis and in position for another private real estate crisis. The real unemployment rate down there is closing in on 20%. Now then, what I do with this valuable information is I apply it to the current lockout situation and ponder what this means to both sides at the table. Who is more likely to get help to pay the bills while the lockout is on going, a big mega entity that provides jobs to thousands and generates millions for other big greedy corporations or some spoiled players who need help to pay their $10M mortgages? Track record says the government lets the people crash and burn while not allowing corporate America to weather hardly any losses. Just saying.
                              Last edited by Apollo; Sat Sep 25, 2010, 04:51 PM. Reason: Had more to say.

Comment

"Redistribution of wealth in talent from the golden goose cities and franchises to the other franchises and cities will not happen."

Those who oppose a fundamental change in how "stars" are positioned/retained on teams will be killing the league. Who are the have-alls going to play with?...the 4 or 5 other teams who make the real money?

Comment

Working...
                                X