Raptors Showing Interest In Ed Stefanski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Showing Interest In Ed Stefanski

all remains quiet in the hunt for Donnie Walsh's successor. As we've reported here and in the pages of Newsday several times, the candidates appear to be in-house lieutenants Glen Grunwald and Mark Warkentien and 76ers GM Ed Stefanski, with the latter getting some interest from the Toronto Raptors.
    Source: Hoopshype.com

Sixers general manager Ed Stefanski will interview for the same position with the Toronto Raptors early next month, an NBA source told the Daily News.

The Raptors got in touch with Stefanski before the team's sale to a group led by Joshua Harris was even reported in June. Stefanski is among the "front-runners" for the job, Yahoo Sports reported Thursday, also identifying former New Orleans GM Jeff Bower and San Antonio assistant GM Dennis Lindsey.

Bryan Colangelo recently received a contract extension as Toronto's president of basketball operations and has operated without a GM. He is searching for another person to handle some of the workload. The Raptors hired Dwayne Casey as head coach last month.
    Source
    With new owners in place, changes are bound to happen within the 76ers' front office. One could be happening soon.

According to a report by yahoo.com, Sixers general manager Ed Stefanski is one of three finalists for the same position with the Toronto Raptors, joining San Antonio assistant GM Dennis Lindsey and former New Orleans Hornets GM Jeff Bower.

Calls to Stefanski and Sixers president Rod Thorn were not answered late last night.

On Wednesday, the sale of the Sixers was finalized as a group headed by Joshua Harris bought the team from Comcast-Spectacor for a reported $280 million. Among those surrounding Harris is Jason Levien, a former player's agent and front office member of the Sacramento Kings. Whether his involvement with the team becomes one that overrides Stefanski remains to be seen.
    Source
    We've got Finalists. Exciting. Its like American Idol.
    Last edited by Joey; Tue Jul 19, 2011, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Im still sticking with Stefanski coming to Toronto.
      http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...-GM-Candidates
      We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

This is scary. I find Stefanski very unstable somehow.
        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I'm struggling with whether or not we actually need somebody to be the GM. It seems like BC is actually following through with the rebuild project and our future looks pretty bright. Do we really want another guy to step in and give him a second opinion on that? I'm torn.

Comment

General Manager is one job. President is another job. The man is working doing two jobs and I think it's as simple at that. He needs help lowering the workload. Having a GM in place also could be a good strategy for increased longevity. If the team falters the President can throw the GM under the bus along with the coach.

Comment

Has it been thought that Pritchard is too much of a risk? Certainly did some good things in Portland.

Poaching Dennis Lindsey from San Antonio would be a good call ... or maybe Larry Legend wants to come north.

-I don't really care who, because he will just be an extension of Colangelo.
              The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Too bad Glen Grunwald isn't a candidate.
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

please take Stefanski New York and we will take Dennis lindsey

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                    Too bad Glen Grunwald isn't a candidate.
                    Why is that a bad thing? Being a door mat to star players finished him in Toronto.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                      Has it been thought that Pritchard is too much of a risk? Certainly did some good things in Portland.

Poaching Dennis Lindsey from San Antonio would be a good call ... or maybe Larry Legend wants to come north.

-I don't really care who, because he will just be an extension of Colangelo.
                      Well regardless, it's too late now since he's in Indiana. . I definitely couldn't see Pritchard and BC being best buds. That's two pretty strong personalities.

And Larry Bird? Well he was really good at keeping the Pacers out of the playoffs for like 5 years. And I'm sure his current job will pay more than what BC can offer.
                      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Why is that a bad thing? Being a door mat to star players finished him in Toronto.
                        He was still the best GM the Raptors ever had.
                        In terms of On-Court success and Player Acquisitions. In my opinion.

One could argue thats like being the Fastest Runner against fat kids, but still...

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                          And Larry Bird? Well he was really good at keeping the Pacers out of the playoffs for like 5 years. And I'm sure his current job will pay more than what BC can offer.
                          The Pacers were really destroyed by the aftermath of the Detroit fight. Even though that's about 7 years ago, I don't think you can put it as simply as saying "he was really good at keeping the Pacers out of the playoffs for like 5 years." Besides, he isn't going to jump for joy to go from team president of the Pacers to (assistant?) gm of the Raptors.
                          Last edited by Soft Euro; Wed Jul 20, 2011, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Ed Stefanski

Tom Sunnergren– Please, just go. Stefanski is, by all accounts, a very nice man but he’s…do we really have to do this? Have some pride Ed. Just walk away.

Nabeel Ahmadieh– GO. From giving too much money to Andre Iguodala, to signing Elton Brand to a lucrative contract, Stefanski is the reason for our financial mess with little cap flexibility.

Kevin Jones – Go. I don’t see the need for him anymore. He’s a puppet under Rod Thorn. He’s already been demoted. And his contract is up soon. This is the guy who screwed the Sixers cap space for light-years by reaching for Elton Brand – five years, 79 million. I love the way Brand plays; he was instrumental last season. At the time Brand seemed like a necessary move. Still, someone must pay the price down the road when big decisions don’t pan out.

Carey Smith – Go. He’s a great “Philly guy”, but he’s made several mistakes in too short of a tenure. Plus, he’s Thorn’s “guy” or “protege” if you like, so if Thorn is out, then so is his pupil.

source

Always interesting to hear from the city/franchise they last worked from.
                            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              He was still the best GM the Raptors ever had.
                              In terms of On-Court success and Player Acquisitions. In my opinion.

One could argue thats like being the Fastest Runner against fat kids, but still...
                              What he did after that game seven killed what he accomplished before. He buckled under the pressure of Vince Carter and gave everybody big bloated contracts that killed the team long term. A lot of people like to throw Babcock under the bus for the Hoffa pick and the Carter trade and rightfully so BUT his life was infinitely more difficult than Colangelo's. Babcock had to deal with the mess left by Grunwald for years. A mess that never really got totally cleaned up until 2006. If you wouldn't give a contractor a pat on the back for building you a nice looking house... With a botched wiring job which caused it to burn to the ground and left you homeless for four years then I can't see how you can call this man the best GM in Raptors history. He caused more long term pain than his short term gain. Ever wonder why teams weren't lined up to sign him when the axe fell in Toronto?

The big difference between Colangelo and Grunwald is that Colangelo is able to put out his fires when he takes gambles.

Comment

Working...
                              X