2006 NBA Draft Lottery Re-Drafted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Exactly. The way I remember the lead-up to that draft, was 6 players receiving serious consideration for the #1 pick: Bargnani, Roy, Aldridge, Gay, Foye and Thomas; essentially 3 wings, 2 PFs and a C, which became a choice between Bargnani (C) and the top wing (Roy/Gay). After drafting Charlie V. to backup Bosh with a top-10 pick the previous draft, there was no way the Raps were going to touch Aldridge/Thomas, regardless of how good they were and/or might become!
    I don't remember Foye's name at #1 but Adam Morrison was talked about at times. Some were giving him Larry Bird comparisons, like NBAdraft.net at one point if I remember correctly.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      The sad thing is that in 2006, on draft night, Colangelo was trying to get a 2nd pick in position to claim Rondo but couldn't get a deal done.

The Hawks were one of the other rumored lotto teams interested in Bargnani.
      Never heard that story before - do you have a source? I find it hard to believe, given BC's early infatuation with shooters and disregard for defense.

Comment

This was five years ago so no and it didn't actually go down so no. I looked though.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          The sad thing is that in 2006, on draft night, Colangelo was trying to get a 2nd pick in position to claim Rondo but couldn't get a deal done.

The Hawks were one of the other rumored lotto teams interested in Bargnani.
          Add the Bulls to the list of lottery teams that were also looking at Bargnani

Comment

The paragraph on Bargnani hits the nail smack dab in the middle of the head:

"As the top overall pick, Bargs has developed a bit of a love/hate relationship with the fans in Toronto. His offensive skill set, for a man his size, is undeniably impressive. His defense on the other hand, leaves A LOT to be desired. Many Raptor fans were hoping for a breakout campaign last season, and while he did score over 21 points for the first time in his career, he shot below 45% from the floor, and saw his rebounds drop to 5.2 rpg. In addition, after blocking 1.4 shots per game in 2009-2010, Bargnani swatted just 0.7 per contest last season. He still young and still possesses plenty of upside; but can he develop a killer instinct and dominate?"

There is no no need to further discuss Bargnani worth/worthlessness until he plays a few more games. But then what will we discuss?

Comment

The thing I hate about articles like this one, is that facts/viewpoints constantly change. For example, until everybody found out that Roy's knees were shot, there were growing hysterics about why the Raptors picked Bargnani over Roy. Today it's another player that the Raptors should have picked... if Rondo develops chronic injuries or the Celtics big-3's decline continues, there'll be another "shoulda, coulda, woulda" player de jour... Plus, considering a Raptors team without Bosh is a further unfair use of hindsight...

For me, the 2006 draft came down to a choice between Bargnani and Roy. Roy was the superior wing player, with both skills and ceiling expected to exceed both Gay and Foye. Aldridge was the superior big, but the Raptors had been chastised in the past for drafting backup PF with high draft picks (Charlie V, anybody?) to play behind Bosh, so he was all but out.

I think it came down to supply & demand; there are a lot more athletic wing players available via trade, free agency and drafting, than there are Nowitski clones... as Bargnani was being touted back then, given his size and skill set. Very few players are drafted with a look at defense over offense, so it really shouldn't be that much of a surprise that 5 years later, Bargnani is an offensively skilled big with significant defensive/rebounding deficiencies.

The only legit "do over" scenario I could believe is the drafting of Roy, but look where that would have taken the team! It is totally unfair to say the Raptors should have drafted Gay/Foye over Roy, unless you magically knew his knees were going to give out. It's just as unfair to say the Raptors should have drafted Aldridge, unless you magically knew Bosh would leave the team four seasons later! And players like Rondo, who slide past every team and weren't a legit discussion for the top pick at the time, is complete unrealistic 20/20 hindsight (without even taking into account the fact that I personally think Rondo is extremely overrated).
              This is how I remember it. 2006 just wasn't a good draft year to have the #1 pick. Thank vishnu we didn't get adam. And even if we did draft Rondo, there is no saying he would develop the same as he did in Boston playing with 3 hall of fame players. Maybe looking back at 2011, we will be the envy of the league for drafting JV in another weak draft.
              Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

The thing I hate about articles like this one, is that facts/viewpoints constantly change. For example, until everybody found out that Roy's knees were shot, there were growing hysterics about why the Raptors picked Bargnani over Roy. Today it's another player that the Raptors should have picked... if Rondo develops chronic injuries or the Celtics big-3's decline continues, there'll be another "shoulda, coulda, woulda" player de jour... Plus, considering a Raptors team without Bosh is a further unfair use of hindsight...

For me, the 2006 draft came down to a choice between Bargnani and Roy. Roy was the superior wing player, with both skills and ceiling expected to exceed both Gay and Foye. Aldridge was the superior big, but the Raptors had been chastised in the past for drafting backup PF with high draft picks (Charlie V, anybody?) to play behind Bosh, so he was all but out.

I think it came down to supply & demand; there are a lot more athletic wing players available via trade, free agency and drafting, than there are Nowitski clones... as Bargnani was being touted back then, given his size and skill set. Very few players are drafted with a look at defense over offense, so it really shouldn't be that much of a surprise that 5 years later, Bargnani is an offensively skilled big with significant defensive/rebounding deficiencies.

The only legit "do over" scenario I could believe is the drafting of Roy, but look where that would have taken the team! It is totally unfair to say the Raptors should have drafted Gay/Foye over Roy, unless you magically knew his knees were going to give out. It's just as unfair to say the Raptors should have drafted Aldridge, unless you magically knew Bosh would leave the team four seasons later! And players like Rondo, who slide past every team and weren't a legit discussion for the top pick at the time, is complete unrealistic 20/20 hindsight (without even taking into account the fact that I personally think Rondo is extremely overrated).
                Isn't the entire point of this article looking back in hindsight?

As for the draft I remember the main discussion being 4 players.

Gay - but drafting him at 1 was reaching
                Roy - but his knees were a concern
                Aldridge - but the team already had bosh
                Bargnani - therefore was the best choice

except for Roy's knees, none of it turned out to be true. (and I would have taken 4 years of Roy before his knee injuries over 5 years of what Bargnani has given the team)

As for Rondo, its incredibly difficult to argue that he wouldn't be as good if he was on a different team. Its the same thing when people argue 'good players' are overrated because they are the best player on a bad team. Bosh and Pau were often compared that way, both one of the top PFs in the league, but only that good becaue they were good players on bad teams. Pau went to LA and flourished, Bosh went to Miami and looked worse. Deron Williams went from a good team (at the time) Utah to NJ and while his shooting % dropped due to his injury, he set new career highs in assists, steals and rebounds.

The guy is the best (or atleast top 2) defensive PGs. Top 5 in assists for the last 3 years. Could be the quickest player in the league and is tough and intense competitor. Did Boston help create some of that? Maybe. Will he be any worse or better by being on a different team? I bet the change in marginal at best. We aren't talking about a situational player here (ex Kapono).. we are talking about what has arguably been the best player on a contending team

Comment

Roy was never seriously considered for the first overall pick. The book on him in 2006 was that he was NBA ready but didn't have the ceiling of some of the other prospects, which put him in the 4-10 range even in a weak draft like 2006.

I remember it being between Aldridge and Bargnani, with a few murmurs about Adam Morrison early on in the process. Aldridge was essentially a CB4 clone at the time, and when you mixed that with Colangelo's love affair with European commodities, I don't remember there being much of a debate. It was concluded a good 2 weeks before the draft that if the Raptors kept their pick, Andrea would be their guy.

Comment

After reading the comments it seems like the pick wasn't so bad after all and was actually at the time given the variables the right one. With out even bringing into effect injuries he's the 5th best player from his draft behind Rondo, Roy, Gay and LA. With injuries considered as of today he'd be 4th (ahead of Roy and assuming Gay's shoulder and Rondo's elbow don't have any long term effects on them). Dre hasn't lived up to his advertised potential and his effort is suspect but calling him a bust at this point seems ignorant IMO.

Comment

Bargnani has almost always been the logical choice in that draft. It was the right thing to do at the time. Unfortunately he didn't turn out to be as good as everybody expected. But he DEFINITELY didn't deserve his contract after his rookie deal.

Comment

This is slightly off topic for this thread but you brought up Bargnani's contract so...

I have never been a fan of Bryan's signings. You can look at the list of contracts he's dished out, and a large majority of them have been pretty controversial.

Bargnani, Turk, Calderon, Amir (although that seems to be justified), Jack, Kleiza, Kapono, and would have signed Bosh to a max contract if he stayed.

I remember his news conference justifying Bargnani's contract by comparing it to Aldrige's contract. The justification never made sense to me since Aldridge is twice the player Bargnani is.

Hopefully Bryan hires a GM who can help dish out more reasonable contracts to Demar and Ed (and eventually JV) when their rookie deals end. Although if Bryan gets the last word, then I don't see that happening.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          This is slightly off topic for this thread but you brought up Bargnani's contract so...

I have never been a fan of Bryan's signings. You can look at the list of contracts he's dished out, and a large majority of them have been pretty controversial.

Bargnani, Turk, Calderon, Amir (although that seems to be justified), Jack, Kleiza, Kapono, and would have signed Bosh to a max contract if he stayed.

I remember his news conference justifying Bargnani's contract by comparing it to Aldrige's contract. The justification never made sense to me since Aldridge is twice the player Bargnani is.

Hopefully Bryan hires a GM who can help dish out more reasonable contracts to Demar and Ed (and eventually JV) when their rookie deals end. Although if Bryan gets the last word, then I don't see that happening.
                          Yes that is almost the only thing i really don't like in Colangelo and it is quite an important one. I also believe hiring a GM should help in making his judgement even if this newly hired GM won't have the last word.

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                            After reading the comments it seems like the pick wasn't so bad after all and was actually at the time given the variables the right one. With out even bringing into effect injuries he's the 5th best player from his draft behind Rondo, Roy, Gay and LA. With injuries considered as of today he'd be 4th (ahead of Roy and assuming Gay's shoulder and Rondo's elbow don't have any long term effects on them). Dre hasn't lived up to his advertised potential and his effort is suspect but calling him a bust at this point seems ignorant IMO.
                            5th? What about Paul Millsap?
                            I still remember that first matchup they had back in 2006 when 'Sap dropped 20/7/2 on him in 27 min while shooting 80%.

Comment

Working...
                            X