Its Garbage Time : Ed Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its Garbage Time : Ed Davis

I'm thinking about doing some of these for most of the roster, assuming you guys enjoy it. Hell even if you don't I may anyways. (Athough I'm debating bothering with Andrea as I doubt there is anything about him that hasn't been covered about him and it will likely end up in the 'everything Andrea' thread anyways... but I guess if Matt52's goal is 10,000 posts and 250k views one of these could only help)

The Facts

Age 22
    Height 6'10
    Weight 215

Min 24:36 Pts 7.7 Rbs 7.1 FG% 57.6 FT% 55.5 Ast 0.6 Turn 0.7 Stl 0.6 Blks 1

Per 36 Pts 11.4 Rbs 10.5 Ast 0.9 Turn 1 Stl 0.9 Blks 1.5

WP 6.1 PER 15.83 Reb% 17.1

The Opinion

While his season numbers were fairly pedestrian for the NBA, I thought Ed Davis has been the most promising rookie since Vince Carter. Now I imagine I'll hear some flack for that ("what! Chris Bosh, Andrea Bargnani, Demar Derozan") but I think Ed was the first player this team has drafted that has shown he can be a capable defender, rebounder and offensive player, for his position, in a long time. Yes he has some work to do and he will likely never be a stud player, but I think he has the tools to be that high quality all around big man this team has been lacking and every team can use. The kid missed both training camp and the first 17 games of the season which easily set him back early (no all-rookie team? defeinetely deserved). However as the season progressed he came on quite nicely. While his Per 36 numbers are good (although not great) for a rookie, his actual number for all games where he played over 30 minutes are as follows (17 games total)

GS 12 Min 35 Pts 13.5 Reb 10.1 FG% 60.8 Ft% 55.5 (avg 3.7 a game) Ast 1.2 Turn 1.2 Stls 1 Blks 1.4

which is right near, or above a projected per 36 average. Now that may not mean alot to some, but to me it shows he can keep up (and exceed) his efficiency and play even when he is given full time duties.

I also wanted to add that considering he was drafted 13th overrall, its tough to complain about the pick.

Weakness

Size - 215lbs ain't gonna cut it.

Offense - limited. Right now he gets a lot of 'garbage' buckets. There's nothing wrong with that, but he should/needs to add a reliable mid range jumper (which he's already shown he's not afraid to take) and a post up game

Experience - he's a rookie after all

Concerns

Effort - I wasn't really sure how to add this one, and I'm not sure it even belongs. But there were some rumblings, prior to the draft, that brought his comittment into question. I can't speak for what goes on in practice or off the court in general, but there seemed to be very little problems with this on the floor and few complaints since the draft. He will likely never be a high energy player like Amir, and I will say I'd like to see a little more in the take charges, chasing loose balls, hard fouls etc. area from him, but he doesn't seem to be that lazy player (Jalen Rose, Andrea Bargnani) or head case (Tyrus Thomas, Demarcus Cousins) some ballers show. However IF (and I want to emphasize IF) it is an issue, well thats not leading to a promising future.

Knee - I'd be lieing if I said his knee surguery wasn't in the back of my mind. It really didn't seem to have an impact on him, and he didn't have any reoccuring problems which is great. But knee surguery and big men don't always lead to good things in the long run.

Strengths

Efficiency - I'm not sure this needs much explaining. Nearly 60% fg, 17% rebounding rate and 1.5 blks, 1 steal, 1 turnover (per 36) are all very nice numbers in all aspects of the game

Defense - I'll admit that, like a night with Salma Hayek, I may be premature. But I liked what I saw. Not that he had an immediate impact on defense (few rookies do), I can't even claim to say he was good defender this year (few rookies are), but I can say I think he showed signs of being a very good, if not excellent, defender as he matures. Give him some time and experience (and add a few pounds) and I think you can expect good things from him here.

Played his game - I probably could have talked about this in efficiency, but I liked that he didn't try to do to much. He did what he was good at. He didn't try to dribble the ball but always gave it up. He didn't make fancy or risky passes. He didn't try to shoot from 20ft. Would go straight back up on a rebound or pass back out. In general he didn't look lost or out of place out there. Can you remember once thinking "Ed. What the f*ck were you thinking"? I can't.

His weakness aren't weak - that is, the thing I don't mind about his weaknesses is they are the same things almost every rookie big man has when they come into the NBA. They are also some of the easiest things to improve upon with some time and effort. As long as he is willing to put the work in he should have no problem adding a jump shot and a post game. I am a little concerned regarding his size (but I always am with young bigs) as not all are able to add that bulk/strength that they need at the NBA level.

Assuming he does maintain a solid level of effort, I don't see why he can't turn out to be a player with very few weaknesses and no major flaws in his game. Which may seem simple, but really is not that common.

Comparisons

Top End - I've heard people say Jermaine O'Neal and Al Horford. I don't think he can be classified in the Center category, so I'm not sure O'Neal (as a legit 7fter) fits. I'll put Al Horford here, but I'm doubting Ed will ever have his complete offensive game (ie. Horford has everything you can want from a big offensively, and a phenomenal passing game which I don't think Ed will ever have)

Bottom End - I'm gonna throw in Udonis Haslem. That is a 10-8 guy who will always get minutes. Never flashy, nothing special, but reliable. I picture him being better than this, but its still not a bad 'at worst' situation.

Realistic Comparison - of all players I can think of, I believe Antonio Davis is the guy. I'm not quite sure Ed will have quite his gorilla-esk build, and should be a bit more efficient on offense, but everything else I see about Ed leads me to believe this is where he will end up. Good quality all around big man and starter. Occasional all-star. Mainly plays around the rim, but will hit a jumper if you leave him. Good defender. Good rebounder. No major weaknesses. Not a guy you build your team around, but the type of guy that will fit almost every situation and you can use when building your team. If this is what he can become the PF position is set for years.

Conclusion

As I said before I don't think Ed will ever be that clear cut stand out stud player. But at worst I picture him as a high minutes bench player, and at best a perennial all-star. I'm not sure he will ever be a good enough scorer to actually achieve that perennial all-star status (seriously Josh Smith is yet to make an all-star team) but I don't doubt he can make it once or twice and regularily be taken into consideration. Regardless, if he can become close to what I think (more efficient Antonio Davis), he could be the most complete (best?) big man this team has had to date. I wouldn't put him in an 'untouchable' category, but if this team even thinks about trading him the return needs to be very high. I very much picture him capable of being an (at peak season) 15-18pts, 10-12rbs, 2+ blks, 50%+ shooting, low turnover big man. And that to me is very promising.

Great trade. Very good job GarbageTime. If you make like that for the rest of the Raptors that would be great. There isn't much to talk about anyway with the damn lockout.
    I agree with almost everything especially the A. Davis comparison as I was wondering who he most resembles and now I can relax. I don't see it as that huge of a problem about his weight as we all know Chris Bosh had the same issues even till his 3rd year in the NBA.Of course he need to gain some to be better but I believe that will happen. The one thing you probably missed is that his father is pushing him to be hard worker and to be better which if true is a very good. Means no slacking and he will work on his game.

Comment

Nice thread, GT. I'd agree with your thoughts on Bargnani.

Comment

Nice thread.

I do like the Horford comparison, but I think the better comparison, at least for the Top-End, is Emeka Okafor.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          at least for the Top-End, is Emeka Okafor.
          I'd put Emeka more in the legit C (although not a 7fter) category than a PF (obviously positions are very debatable but for sake of argument I'm gonna make a seperation). I can see them being statistically similar (ie.Ed right now and Emeka right now) although I expect Ed to be better offensively but not as strong in the long run. I think both of those will keep their on court games from being that close. At the very least I think Emeka as a top-end ceiling is a bit low.

That said, comparisons are often tough. Two guys are always different in some ways. I could make a very reasonable Ed and Amir comparison (efficiency, solid D and rebounding, limited offense but room for improvement, size), but I don't think Ed runs the floor like Amir, or does the dirty work the way Amir does. So how close is a comparison between two guys when some of one's best attributes (Amir's) aren't like the other guys (Ed's)? yet statistically, and in many other ways, they are a pretty good mirrors of one another.

Comment

Good read look forward to the other ones!

Comment

Good stuff, feel free to do one on the rest of the roster.
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                Defense - I'll admit that, like a night with Salma Hayek, I may be premature.
                Best line I've read all summer. The rest of the post was pretty tight too. If Special Ed's offense can move into the Keon range I'll be happy.
                LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Great post GT. I really think people tend to forget about Ed because he's a pretty soft-spoken guy. When most analysts talk about the Raptors they mention DeMar and Bargs because those are the only high-profile guys on the roster.

I avoid bringing up Leo Rautins at all costs, unless it's about his horrible banter with Devlin, but he does often mention one of ED's greatest assets. That is, his quick leaping ability. I'm not sure if ED is actually 6'10" but he definitely plays like it because of his quicks off the ground and his defensive IQ.

Can't wait for the next Garbage Time post.

Comment

Really interesting, insightful post. Keep it up, Garbagetime!

Comment

the Antonio Davis comparison is pretty accurate and it would make us feel proud if he ends up becoming as good as Antonio Davis.

Comment

Nice work, good insight Garbage Time. Keep em coming!
                        We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Well done. I will throw Horace Grant out as a comparison. I think Davis will be a better shot blocker, but will not be as good of a face up shooter as Grant.
                          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Great read, let's do it for all the players, since the lockout started it's so boring...

Comment

ED doesn't get enough credit for coming back from his injury in the way in which he did. He missed training camp entirely, the first seventeen games of the season, and then was thrown into the rotation immediately after only 2 games (I believe) in the D League. That's a tough situation for any player, let alone a rookie. All things considered, I think he performed very well this past season.

He'll be an above average rebounder and a good defender in this league for the next decade if he stays healthy.

Comment

Working...
                              X