Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Insider: Jose Calderon for Kevin Martin makes sense

From ESPN Insider:

Calderon was considered a gem just a year ago, but he struggled out of the gate this season, and the Raptors have played much better without him. Now that he's back from injury, you can expect the Raptors to shop him around. They could really use some help at the 2-guard position. DeMar DeRozan is a nice prospect, but he's not ready yet.

There have been rumblings of a Calderon-Kevin Martin swap. The move would give the Raptors a lot of offensive firepower, but it would also cement their status as one of the worst defensive teams ever.

I doubt thats all it would take to snag Martin..we would need to include Amir Johnson probably for the deal to make sense to the Kings. And with Martins contract I`m not sure how we can afford to offer Bosh a max

Comment

Wouldn't Calderon negatively affect Tyreke Evans' development?
      RR OG

Comment

The Raps don't need more fire power-at least not if the incoming player is another defensive liability. The Raps need a balanced player at the 2 or 3 who can provide strong defensive skills with the ability to score some-preferably with the ability to hit 3's consistently. Kevin Martin just doesn't fit that imo. Though I'm not sure who is available who would fit their needs. What's Raja's status? Trade for Dahntay anyone?

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
          From ESPN Insider:
          I fail to see how K-Mart is a worse defender than Calderon...

James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
          Wouldn't Calderon negatively affect Tyreke Evans' development?
          Has Calderon had a negative impact on Chris Bosh or Andrea Bargnani? If Reke wants to be a dynamic player he needs to learn how to play off the ball just as much as he does on the ball, if not more. If he ever plays on a really good club chances are there will be a really good PG quarterbacking the offense and he will need to know what to do when they're not running a set play for him specifically. Plus my thoughts are that K-Mart is going to steal far more looks than Calderon's 10 shots per game.
          Last edited by Apollo; Thu Jan 14, 2010, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Kings GM Geoff Petrie has consistently said that he views Tyreke Evans as a point guard.

Not convinced he'll pay $9mil a year to another point guard to back him up.
            nbaroundtable

Comment

I am wary of trading Jose unless we get a backup PG in return.

I am one of the biggest detractors of Jose's D, but I do like the ying and yang of JC and JJ's differing styles. Moreso with JC coming off the bench.

With JJ the only capable starter, should Jose be jettisoned,we are one tweaked ankle away from catastrophy (Marcus Banks).

I actually like Marcus as a 3rd string PG. He is quite capable in that role. Especially defensively.

I will assume that you would be looking to Hedo to take some point duties.

Without both JJ and JC, that would scare me, as there is not a PG in the league he could cover.

If Portland felt so inclined, I would be more apt to trade Jose for Andre Miller. Perhaps throw in Antoine, as they are thin at SF with injuries.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
              X