Everything EuroBasket 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Not much has been made about Canada in the FIBA Americas Tournament, but if they win today against Panama (who are 1-6) then we have a very good chance of making it to the next qualifying tournament. This is BIG news guys!!
    With a win today we still need Venezuela to loose, not sure that is going to happen.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I didn't mean that as a slight toward Bo.
      I'm fully aware of what he brings to the table.
      Barea is known to be quite fearless while driving to the basket amongst the big boys.
      He is also known to provide to the emotional and spiritual spark, you speak of as well.

But again, what you fail to acknowledge is that players, and especially Point Guards in the NBA are MUCH longer, taller, bigger, stronger, than players in Europe. I'm aware thats a very large generalization, but for the most part, its true.

Desire to win will only get you so far. There was a reason he went undrafted.
      At 6'-0", 180 lbs, he's just too small.
      Even Ty Lawson has 15lbs on him and he's a couple inches shorter.
      Today's game Macedonia-Georgia 65:63 just confirmed that McCalebb is most likely the best player in the world outside of NBA in the moment. I don't like to use numbers, but in this case they speak for themselves: 27 pts in 31 minutes, shooting 62.5% (10/16), 4 ast, 4 stl, and most important, scoring the winning basket with 2 seconds left. Macedonia is almost 100% in the quarter-finals already, without a single NBA player on the roster. Germany on the other hand with Dirk in the lineup is 0-3 in the group and eliminated, Italy is not even in the top 12, Croatia is out... It's too bad that the Raptors were not following this guy more closely. He has a heart of a champion.

For a comparison, our starting point guard Calderon is shooting 33% in the tournament (11/33), with 2 assists per game, scoring 4.7 ppg, not impressive for someone who makes almost 10 mil. per year. Bo plays in Italy, and we have the Italian connections, so maybe something can be done, although I doubt it, he just signed a new contract with Siena.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
        I wasn't aware that I must present a basketball resume to post here. My apologies for the sarcasm. I still don't think it should matter, but OK here it is: I played from when I was 12 years old until just before I was 50 which was a while ago (I'm old) with a few years off during my tree hugging stage. The highest level that I played at was one year of riding the pine at the post secondary level (in the US).

This resume does not stack up to some here, I'm sure, but I am informed none the less, more than some less than others perhaps, because of my continuing interest. I never played football but I have followed Notre Dame football since I moved to South Bend in 1966 and despite not having played the sport and moving away from Indiana I have informed opinions about that also (don't get me started about Saturdays loss to UCF).

I respect Sam Mitchell because he wanted to win games in the worse way. He had grit when he played, his team had grit when he coached. He was impatient with young players and because of that reputation it's going to be a tough job market as most vacancies are with teams building with draft picks. I hope he gets another chance.

How's that for further hijacking this thread on Eurobasket?
        Not a bad resume at all About Sam Mitchell, I liked him very much as a player, that's a type of a guy I would love to have as a bench player on my team, hard working and reliable. Unfortunately, the coaching skills are just not there, at least not while he was with the Raptors. I don't think we should even discuss about Jay Triano. I really hope Casey brings something new to the table, otherwise we have many frustrating years ahead of us...

Comment

• Again, I never meant to offend you, or slight Bo with my comments. I'm not sure why you feel the need to continue to try to 'prove' to me how good he is. I've watched him. I know.
          I never ONCE said he isn't good.

All I said is that if he came over to the NBA he would NOT be putting up 27 points in 31 minutes. He would NOT be shooting 63% from the floor on a consistent basis and he DEFINITELY will not average 4 spg. With his size and skill level, he could very well excel in a JJ Barea type role off the bench, but he would exposed far too often as a Starter. In my opinion. You may disagree, and that is quite fine.

And Calderon has not been the main focus of his team as Bo has. Bo has been given complete Freedom to dribble and possess the ball as much as he'd like. Calderon is certainly not granted the same luxury.

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
            With a win today we still need Venezuela to loose, not sure that is going to happen.
            In their last 6 match ups, Uruguay has won 3 against Venezuala.
            50/50 chance of them losing. hahah

Comment

In their last 6 match ups, Uruguay has won 3 against Venezuala.
              50/50 chance of them losing. hahah

Canada blew by loosing so I guess it does not matter now...
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• 91-89 ... brutal.

Well if Venezuala loses by 50ish, then we can still make it; as we'll be tied, and then hold the Point Difference Advantage...
                Wishful thinking..?

Comment

• irgigi wrote: View Post
                  I could never understand, why ppl call him defensive, while offence was always his strength. On defence he just need more strength to do better.
                  In this game, he couldn't completely stop Krstic, but i like how he was working on defense, don't letting him shoot easy balls.
                  Defense is the backbone of his game. While he obviously needs to add strength, he's a big defensive presence, especially team-wise. As for Krstic, remember that he is an NBA veteran and a pretty decent one, at that. Especially on the offensive end.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                    Canada blew by loosing so I guess it does not matter now...
                    I may be at risk of sounding preachy, or something, but you mean `'lose', not `loose'. I've just seen this mistake so often lately it's starting to bug me. Sorry.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• And now, Rautins steps down as coach

LINK

...could this mean a return for the men's NT for Triano?

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                        And now, Rautins steps down as coach

LINK

WOW... did NOT see that coming.

Comment

LINK

The national team system needs a complete make over. There's far too much politics involved, which means that a lot of talented young players don't get the chance to make it. I don't know if Triano would be asked back after being fired not all that long ago.
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

LINK

you know I can't say I have watched much Team Canada ball. I can't say I really know how good or bad of a coach Leo is....

... yet for some reason I'm ecstatic about this. I'd be even happier if he steps down as a commentator for the Raps (or gets fires, whichever works for me)... come on Leo you are on a roll now don't stop!

Comment

• Why don't people like Leo as a Colour Commentator?

I think he is extremely knowledgable and makes ALOT of good points throughout the broadcast.
                              He's also the ONLY Raptors Commentator who has the balls enough to criticize our own players.

I'd get rid of Matt before Leo. Devlin is a joke.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                                I may be at risk of sounding preachy, or something, but you mean `'lose', not `loose'. I've just seen this mistake so often lately it's starting to bug me. Sorry.
                                Just a typo, but I am with you. The ones that get me the most st the use of THEIR, THERE and THEY'RE.
                                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                                X