Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• japetas wrote: View Post
    Jonas have no chances to defend Scola because of terrible team's defensive tactics when defending 2-on-2. The second Lithuania game vs Nigeria were much better defensively, but coach didn't let Jonas to play significant minutes (backup center played his best international game in his career). Now waiting tomorrows mach against France. They have more typical centers than Argentina's Scola who's more PF than C. Turiaf, Traore and Seraphin - all of them play physical game and mostly near the basket
    So you are expecting a better game? It'd be great to see Jonas get extended minutes.
    Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
      People forget but Scola is one of the best bigs at international ball. He dominates everyone.
      How is his game suited to international ball? To be honest, I've never really paid attention to him in FIBA play.
      Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

• I'm not worried at all. He's just not getting the minutes, and the Lithuanian coach doesn't have any vested interest in "developing" Jonas' game. Combine that with the lackluster officiating, and there isn't much room for a young player to learn through his mistakes.

Give Jonas a proper training camp, 8 pre-season games, with a coaching staff whose eyes are glued on him every waking minute, and we'll see a different player come October 31st.

Comment

• Can't help but think that the Summer League would have done his some good. He could have had more playing time and oriented himself with some of his team mates and coaches as well as the NBA style of play. In the Olympics he's playing against much better competition, but he's been facing players of close to that calibre in his Euro league team for a while now. He's not really seeing anything different. Having said that it's an honour he couldn't turn down I guess.

Comment

• Scola is also tough as nails and knows how to get under people's skin. I didn't see the game but I'd probably chalk this up to experience outplaying raw talent.

Comment

• I have a feeling there will be a lot of frustrating games this season just like this...big men need to adapt to what its like against NBA players...it's a whole new world

Comment

• I think it's good experience either way. Obviously he's not happy about it, and I'd rather send him out against guys like Scola, instead of some summer league hacks who are likely to get cut anyways. If he shows any shine during the Olympics I'd take that experience over summer league any day. I love that Scola said he's good.
                i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Comment

• I'm not going to make excuses for Jonas, because whatever, he's young and it's ok to have a bad game. But the whole team's defensive execution, especially on the p'n'r, was just completely atrocious for most of the game. Rotations were poor, and especially the 2nd rotation was almost never there, at least that's how it felt when I was watching. Basically, the team sucked: every time a perimeter player got in the D fell apart. Help was late, especially after the first rotation of Jonas or whoever else was there to defend the paint/rim, no one would take Scola/whoever rolled, perimeter players got trapped à la Calderon a lot (cheating off your man at the 3pt line without actually helping) leaving open shots and easy cuts...Really, their D looked a lot like ours under Triano. So yeah, getting carved up by a team of very skilled veterans makes sense when your D is that bad. Just to add, I also felt like their D was bad against Nigeria. I think this team will struggle to beat teams they can't outscore.

Comment

• Valanciunas is just 20 and his inexperience is showing. His being foul prone is a combination of being a little over exuberant, his having some difficulty holding his position, and the opposition going after him as they are all too aware of JV's tendencies.

Comment

• It's better to play against higher caliber players, than bunch of d-league caliber players (IMO).
                      Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• although Jonas is responsible for his performance...I really don't like the way the Lithuanian national team is playing.
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Exactly what, you don't like? I'm not saying I disagree with you, I'm just curious.
                          Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                            Valanciunas is just 20 and his inexperience is showing. His being foul prone is a combination of being a little over exuberant, his having some difficulty holding his position, and the opposition going after him as they are all too aware of JV's tendencies.
                            I agree, that its an occasion where a veteran that knows all the tricks and couldn't jump over a phone book is using his smarts over a young pup, but isn't JV's experience on his national team supposed to be one of his biggest assets over players coming out of NCAA?

Comment

• pillowmint wrote: View Post
                              I think it's good experience either way. Obviously he's not happy about it, and I'd rather send him out against guys like Scola, instead of some summer league hacks who are likely to get cut anyways. If he shows any shine during the Olympics I'd take that experience over summer league any day. I love that Scola said he's good.
                              Agree that the level of competition is better in the Olympics, but is he going to learn anything new from 2 weeks (if his team lasts that long) riding the pine for the most part? Wouldn't getting a head start on aclimating himself to a new country, team mates, coaches, surroundings, way of life etc.. me more useful at this stage? Playing a couple of games against Scola or Tyson Chandler isn't going to drastically change his game. Getting use to a new life will help his game more at this current stage. I'll say it again though that repping your country is something which is hard to pass on.

Comment

• No, it was his expierence playing against men in the pro league. I always thought he would be better served (from the Raps perspective) to play summer league so they could work on transitioning to the NBA game, which would include addressing his tendency to foul. The Lithuanian's team goal is to win as many games as possible and medal, the Raps would develop the player.

Comment

Working...
                                X