Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
    I just have an issue with people who think the current situation is ideal and doesn't have a significant problem.
    I can't think of one person on these forums who thinks this.

Comment

• Wait for it.....here’s another “we’re not using JV the right way” post. It was evident again in the Chicago game. Even without the fact that the Chicago feed was harping on it throughout the broadcast. They couldn’t believe how few touches he was getting. I know you shouldn’t complain about our offence when we score 124 points but in the first q we only scored 21. That’s when JV played the most and the starters were stagnant. He sets every screen. He fights for every rebound. And then, when he has deep post position over a smaller guy and is waving his arms for the ball, the pass goes elsewhere and you can see it effect him. Maybe that’s a big distraction play to buy someone else more space but I don’t think so. You could say Lopez torched him on offence but that’s only because Chicago actually passes the ball to Lopez. It seemed to be improved a while ago but we are moving away from it. Not for the better.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
        Wait for it.....here’s another “we’re not using JV the right way” post. It was evident again in the Chicago game. Even without the fact that the Chicago feed was harping on it throughout the broadcast. They couldn’t believe how few touches he was getting. I know you shouldn’t complain about our offence when we score 124 points but in the first q we only scored 21. That’s when JV played the most and the starters were stagnant. He sets every screen. He fights for every rebound. And then, when he has deep post position over a smaller guy and is waving his arms for the ball, the pass goes elsewhere and you can see it effect him. Maybe that’s a big distraction play to buy someone else more space but I don’t think so. You could say Lopez torched him on offence but that’s only because Chicago actually passes the ball to Lopez. It seemed to be improved a while ago but we are moving away from it. Not for the better.
        I gave up on the hope jv would be an offensive option sometime in the 2016 calendar year
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
          I gave up on the hope jv would be an offensive option sometime in the 2016 calendar year
          Props to you for hanging in so long. I think I gave up before the 2016/2017 season started.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
            Wait for it.....here’s another “we’re not using JV the right way” post. It was evident again in the Chicago game. Even without the fact that the Chicago feed was harping on it throughout the broadcast. They couldn’t believe how few touches he was getting. I know you shouldn’t complain about our offence when we score 124 points but in the first q we only scored 21. That’s when JV played the most and the starters were stagnant. He sets every screen. He fights for every rebound. And then, when he has deep post position over a smaller guy and is waving his arms for the ball, the pass goes elsewhere and you can see it effect him. Maybe that’s a big distraction play to buy someone else more space but I don’t think so. You could say Lopez torched him on offence but that’s only because Chicago actually passes the ball to Lopez. It seemed to be improved a while ago but we are moving away from it. Not for the better.
            Jack or Leo called for it when Lopez was out, too, Chicago just had Mirotic and Markkanen on the floor and the table was set for JV to go to work in the post. Didn't happen though.

JV's USG% is high, it's just his minutes are down. Generally when he is on the floor they're getting him the ball more often than in the past. That said, we saw earlier in the year they were forcing post touches to JV and Ibaka to start games and it really wasn't working very well. I have no problem with them doing what's working, especially if they can manage the locker room. I sort of get the sense that JV's come to terms with the reality of his role in the current NBA. He's playing with good energy no matter what minutes/touches he gets, that wasn't always true in the past.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Guess it was a good day to bump this thread

Comment

• Has anyone on the team had such drastic ups and downs as JV?! From total disappearance to being right in the heart of the best Raptor quarter I've ever seen. For 12 minutes we saw old school, 1970s All Star level post play. When Delon passed up the 3 to feed him for that last shot and Serge collared him with affection.....nearly brought tears. I feel for the guy because so obviously his skill set is just so outmoded but he works hard, seems to be a great team guy and every once in awhile is really valuable no matter what the metrics say. As he won't bring much in a trade anyway I hope they keep him around and that he gets to appear in an NBA final or two before he's done. As a Raptor

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  I can't think of one person on these forums who thinks this.
                  For real, how many freaking years have we been talking about this? I'm burnt out on JV talk.

Comment

• JV, x-factor extraordinaire.

Comment

• Dat 3rd quarter... lawd

Comment

• last night was once again an example of how JV doesn't fit in the modern nba...

... in that he was a man among boys with those "modern" bigs in Milwaukee.

Anyways, besides the offensive explosion, i was pretty impressed with his defensive game considering milwaukee has been considered a pretty bad matchup for him. He was quick on his feet and making good decisions, challenging shots, etc.
                        Credit to the guards as well for stepping it up a notch on their PnR coverage.

JV will never be a guy who you want switching on PnR but you can have a lot of success dropping back when your guards are fighting over the screen hard (this is how San Antonio gets away with Gasol and Aldridge on the floor, for example).

As ever, I'd like to see more of that kind of effort on both ends from the big man.

Comment

• Mitch P wrote: View Post
                          Has anyone on the team had such drastic ups and downs as JV?! From total disappearance to being right in the heart of the best Raptor quarter I've ever seen. For 12 minutes we saw old school, 1970s All Star level post play. When Delon passed up the 3 to feed him for that last shot and Serge collared him with affection.....nearly brought tears. I feel for the guy because so obviously his skill set is just so outmoded but he works hard, seems to be a great team guy and every once in awhile is really valuable no matter what the metrics say. As he won't bring much in a trade anyway I hope they keep him around and that he gets to appear in an NBA final or two before he's done. As a Raptor
                          With OG, an engaged Ibaka, and Derozan showing a better effort on D JV is no longer a negative factor. He can afford to provide help D because he is getting enough help on his man. On O the modern, mobile bigs trying to defend him are going to get swept away. With the Raptors now showing movement, JV doesn't HAVE to make a play on the basket every time he receives the ball, he has options to pass out to. But when he is getting results like last night, "Release the hounds big fella."

Comment

• There was a play last night when JV got switched on to antenenkoumpo on D on the wing. He got in stance, did well and Giannis passed the ball away. Great stuff.

Comment

• That was a retro performance by JV. Reminded me of that Miami series before he got injured.

Comment

• JV by far is having his best season as a Raptor.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X