Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet Joe wrote: View Post
    ...Valanciunas recorded his team-leading 19th double-double of the season after totaling eight as a rookie a year ago....
    Was unaware of that. Oddly enough, just read an article that mentioned his "marginal" offensive improvement from his rookie year.

Comment

• A centers job isnt to score. Some do, and the best always do. But the real value in a center is how the can affect the game, on both sides of the ball. A quick witted, aware center is a guards best friend on offence and on defence.

A few of us here call JV a "stiff" all the time. He is a stiff right now. He is slow, mechanical, and predictable. For a while there, and when he took the most heat, he was clearly trying to do too many things, things he wasnt asked to, or frankly, things he could do. I love his buying in to this simplistic exercise. Its a great way to go about things.

In all walks of life, in all scenarios, the idea is the same..... reach for the stars, but set attainable goals along the way. The things listed on his locker wall are all very real, attainable goals for his season. If he puts 100% into these things, he will see a steep growth curve, and the rest will come. The rest of the team however, will benefit immensely.

JV is my favourite stiff in the NBA. If he's diligent, the word "stiff" will be shed for good..... fast.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
        Was unaware of that. Oddly enough, just read an article that mentioned his "marginal" offensive improvement from his rookie year.
        He's averaging about 1.5 more points per game and about 3 rebounds more. It's not the jump that many expected.

The biggest issue offensively is that he isn't finishing around the rim. Last year he shot 70% from 0-3 feet and this year he is at 64%. Move him out and from 10-16 feet he is off almost 7% year over year. Those are significant drops. If he was just making shots at last year's rate we'd be talking about what great strides he's made.....

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post

JV is my favourite stiff in the NBA. If he's diligent, the word "stiff" will be shed for good..... fast.
          LOL. JV is not a stiff. Not even close. Good grief.

Chris Dudley was a stiff. Yinka Dare. Will Perdue. Jon Koncak. Greg Kite. Those guys were stiffs.

Comment

• You dont know what a stiff is.

Comment

• I been singing and rapping I make a killin' in both If i had to choose a Jackson man I'm feelin' like Bo ~ king drizzy

Comment

• Jonas just had a great segment on nba action. Someone have a link to the clip?
                We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

• They finished off the episode with a BigV highlight reel. How sweet it is!! Hopefully coach Casey was watching lol :P
                  We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

• Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
                    They finished off the episode with a BigV highlight reel. How sweet it is!! Hopefully coach Casey was watching lol :P
                    I hope JV focuses strictly on strength this off season.

F*ck the bulk

Lean and mean

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post

F*ck the bulk

Lean and mean
                      +1 I think the added weight he put on helped preserve his durability. But I think he is most efficient when toned not leaned.

Comment

F*ck the bulk

Lean and mean
                        After reading that Mackechnie thread, I have alot of confidence that JV will get the body he needs to do his job well.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                          After reading that Mackechnie thread, I have alot of confidence that JV will get the body he needs to do his job well.
                          I was really confused at the start of this year.

McKechnie does not seem like the type to advocate just bulking up.

I wonder if the bulking up was the insistence of the Lithuanian National team?

It appeared the added bulk JV had this season was a total waste. It slowed him, he was less agile, less explosive. It really had a negative impact on his game.

Hopefully whatever JV does this summer it is under the guidance of McKechnie.

Comment

• I would loce to see JV stay the size he is, add a little more strength, but work a bunch on foot work/speed.
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I was really confused at the start of this year.

McKechnie does not seem like the type to advocate just bulking up.

I wonder if the bulking up was the insistence of the Lithuanian National team?

It appeared the added bulk JV had this season was a total waste. It slowed him, he was less agile, less explosive. It really had a negative impact on his game.

Hopefully whatever JV does this summer it is under the guidance of McKechnie.
                              There's no way Lithuanians wanted him to bulk up during the prep. camp. Bulking up just before big tournament is a big no, you want to be at best shape as possible before tournament starts.

It's more likely JV bulked up on his own before camp. Junk diet + weight lifting = strength with a lot fat.

Comment

• Jonas was already massive in the summer league, i.e. before the national camp. So he added the weight right after the season, May-June.

As far as the national team asking him to do that, we'll never know, but it seems unlikely that NT would ask a player to add lots of weight on his own in Toronto and the Toronto Raptors would have no clue about it and no input.

Comment

Working...
                                X