Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Yeah, those teams were also top 5 in defense. They had been known to make offences struggle. If you think we wouldn't of struggle to score just by changing the system than you obviously are not giving those teams enough credit. How did Steven's offence system do this post season?
    I'm not saying those series' should have been a cakewalk. But they shouldn't have gone seven games either.
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
      I'm not saying those series' should have been a cakewalk. But they shouldn't have gone seven games either.
      I disagree, with that. I personally think you can't make assumptions like that in playoffs. Especially when the the other team has the best player on the court. We all know that in Basketball one player can make all the difference.

Look at the 08 Boston Celtics. They had to play 3 game 7s to get out the East I believe. I dont see thier fanbase putting an asterisk next to that championship run just cause it took a couple more games. You either win or lose IMO, but like I said to each their own.
      Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Thu Sep 21, 2017, 09:57 AM.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I disagree, with that. I personally think you can't make assumptions like that in playoffs. Especially when the the other team has the best player on the court. We all know that in Basketball one player can make all the difference.

Look at the 08 Boston Celtics. They had to play 3 game 7s to get out the East I believe. I dont see thier fanbase putting an asterisk next to that championship run just cause it took a couple more games. You either win or lose IMO, but like I said to each their own.
        Great point about the team with the best player on the court having an advantage. This is very true. Although I'd argue that Miami didn't/shouldn't have had the best player in that series.

Also, I forgot about the Washington series. We lost 4-0 against a lower seed.

There's a three year history of this team underperforming against expectations in the playoffs. Part of this is that the opposition has stepped it up. But we've also seen poor series-specific coaching strategy, poor in-game coaching decision, poor individual performances, and an offensive philosophy that's too easy to defend in a playoff environment. Everything needs to be evaluated if you want to win big. It seems like management and coaching are doing this. We'll know for sure in the spring.
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Great point about the team with the best player on the court having an advantage. This is very true. Although I'd argue that Miami didn't/shouldn't have had the best player in that series.

Also, I forgot about the Washington series. We lost 4-0 against a lower seed.

There's a three year history of this team underperforming against expectations in the playoffs. Part of this is that the opposition has stepped it up. But we've also seen poor series-specific coaching strategy, poor in-game coaching decision, poor individual performances, and an offensive philosophy that's too easy to defend in a playoff environment. Everything needs to be evaluated if you want to win big. It seems like management and coaching are doing this. We'll know for sure in the spring.
          Missing my point. Point is that the fact that it took them longer to beat those teams shouldn't dismish what they've done over the years. Fact is even with those struggles they still have the 3rd most playoffs win after Cavs/Warriors. Not the Celtics, Wizards, Spurs but the Raptors. Winning is not easy in NBA. I really think a lot of you take it for granted. With the Raptors history I really don't understand how you can.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Missing my point. Point is that the fact that it took them longer to beat those teams shouldn't dismish what they've done over the years. Fact is even with those struggles they still have the 3rd most playoffs win after Cavs/Warriors. Not the Celtics, Wizards, Spurs but the Raptors. Winning is not easy in NBA. I really think a lot of you take it for granted. With the Raptors history I really don't understand how you can.

I agree, winning in the NBA isn't easy.

This doesn't mean that when you win, you don't take a hard look at what could have been done better.

Masai's done this. His conclusion seems to be that the team needs to change its offence.
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

'08 Celtics were incorporating a lot of new starters after the KG and Allen deals - they set some of record for winning it with so few returning players from previous season - so the chemistry factor might have been an impact there.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                '08 Celtics were incorporating a lot of new starters after the KG and Allen deals - they set some of record for winning it with so few returning players from previous season - so the chemistry factor might have been an impact there.
                Raps had 5 new players(Carroll, Biz, Scola, Norm and Cory) in the rotation when they went to the East finals.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

I agree, winning in the NBA isn't easy.

This doesn't mean that when you win, you don't take a hard look at what could have been done better.

Masai's done this. His conclusion seems to be that the team needs to change its offence.
                  I'm not saying they're satisfied. Just don't like the narritive on this forum that raps haven't had success just cause we played a couple more games.

They're not changing it though. Just playing a little faster and looking to pass a little more. Still going to see a lot of iso. Anyone expecting a dramatic change is in for a rude awakening.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Just wondering what the consensus is here that JV will come back showing some tangible improvement. Both JV and his agent/trainers/friends/ etch. must be aware of the conversation throughout the media, fantasy and league about him having plateaued and the consensus that he will have a lesser role. They must also know the Raptors were looking for trade partners. He's got only 2 (?) years left on his contract. If he has any desire for an improved contract he has to show something this season.

We've seen video that suggests he has been working to extend his range and to increase his mobility. He looks leaner in the video from his time with Lithuania this summer.

So, do we see any significant improvement? He's still just 25/26. He's watched DD improve every year. He's watched Norm grow. Come on JV. Show something more.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                      Just wondering what the consensus is here that JV will come back showing some tangible improvement. Both JV and his agent/trainers/friends/ etch. must be aware of the conversation throughout the media, fantasy and league about him having plateaued and the consensus that he will have a lesser role. They must also know the Raptors were looking for trade partners. He's got only 2 (?) years left on his contract. If he has any desire for an improved contract he has to show something this season.

We've seen video that suggests he has been working to extend his range and to increase his mobility. He looks leaner in the video from his time with Lithuania this summer.

So, do we see any significant improvement? He's still just 25/26. He's watched DD improve every year. He's watched Norm grow. Come on JV. Show something more.
                      I like the head hunting screens he sets, the rebounding on both ends of the floor, the 80 % FT shooting and that he doesn't get intimidated by anyone.

What he can reasonably do to improve his game this year is make that 12 foot jumper at a higher rate than last year and, its as subjective as it gets, but make better faster decisions on moving the ball back out when the double comes and cuts off a move to the basket. When he passes it back out either he quickly sets up for a repost or he catches the guy who leaked off his man to help with a bone rattling screen as he rotates back out for an open 3 point shot.
                      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                      - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                        ....What he can reasonably do to improve his game this year is make that 12 foot jumper at a higher rate than last year and, its as subjective as it gets, but make better faster decisions on moving the ball back out when the double comes and cuts off a move to the basket. When he passes it back out either he quickly sets up for a repost or he catches the guy who leaked off his man to help with a bone rattling screen as he rotates back out for an open 3 point shot.
                        To me, those things seem reasonably achievable. They don't require higher levels of athleticism, faster reflexes or anything other than practice. You would think that a coach would practice those things with him so that if he was posting up and had to reset, there would be guys moving to set positions to give him options. I think they call that running variations of plays.

Comment

Why do you keep making false statements? It takes one minute to look things up and get the facts.

The Spurs have as many playoff wins as we do the last two years. http://bkref.com/tiny/qH7LN

Over the past four years we've had with this core, 9 teams have as many or more playoff wins than us.

You're trying to spin it like were the third best team in the NBA and we all know that isn't remotely close to true.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                            Just wondering what the consensus is here that JV will come back showing some tangible improvement. Both JV and his agent/trainers/friends/ etch. must be aware of the conversation throughout the media, fantasy and league about him having plateaued and the consensus that he will have a lesser role. They must also know the Raptors were looking for trade partners. He's got only 2 (?) years left on his contract. If he has any desire for an improved contract he has to show something this season.

I think he will be better but it won't matter. Casey just doesn't trust him, and likely never will.

I just hope that if we trade him, Masai can somehow work a little magic and get a decent return for him, even though the best opportunity for trading him is long past.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                              Why do you keep making false statements? It takes one minute to look things up and get the facts.

The Spurs have as many playoff wins as we do the last two years. http://bkref.com/tiny/qH7LN

Over the past four years we've had with this core, 9 teams have as many or more playoff wins than us.

You're trying to spin it like were the third best team in the NBA and we all know that isn't remotely close to true.
                              Toronto has walked that line as well as anybody in recent years. Only three clubs have won more regular season games over the last 24 months (Golden State, San Antonio, Cleveland) and only two have won more playoff games (Golden State, Cleveland). Meanwhile, the bottom half of their roster has been made up of rookies, sophomores and third-year players, most of which have produced when called upon, both at the NBA level and in the D-League, where Raptors 905 is coming off a championship season. It’s an underappreciated feat.

http://www.tsn.ca/raptors-camp-quest...ep-up-1.859507

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Toronto has walked that line as well as anybody in recent years. Only three clubs have won more regular season games over the last 24 months (Golden State, San Antonio, Cleveland) and only two have won more playoff games (Golden State, Cleveland).
                                And all of this while trotting out a starting centre who's incompatible with today's NBA. How is this even possible?

(Just thought I'd try and get this thread back on topic )
                                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                                X