View Poll Results: Grade Valanciunas' Season

Voters
198. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

    51 25.76%
  • B

    106 53.54%
  • C

    37 18.69%
  • D

    1 0.51%
  • F

    3 1.52%
Page 582 of 583 FirstFirst ... 82 482 532 572 580 581 582 583 LastLast
Results 11,621 to 11,640 of 11658

Thread: Everything Valanciunas

  1. #11621
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9,511
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    last night was once again an example of how JV doesn't fit in the modern nba...


    ... in that he was a man among boys with those "modern" bigs in Milwaukee.


    Anyways, besides the offensive explosion, i was pretty impressed with his defensive game considering milwaukee has been considered a pretty bad matchup for him. He was quick on his feet and making good decisions, challenging shots, etc.
    Credit to the guards as well for stepping it up a notch on their PnR coverage.

    JV will never be a guy who you want switching on PnR but you can have a lot of success dropping back when your guards are fighting over the screen hard (this is how San Antonio gets away with Gasol and Aldridge on the floor, for example).


    As ever, I'd like to see more of that kind of effort on both ends from the big man.

  2. Like DanH, Puffer liked this post
  3. #11622
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,017
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mitch P wrote: View Post
    Has anyone on the team had such drastic ups and downs as JV?! From total disappearance to being right in the heart of the best Raptor quarter I've ever seen. For 12 minutes we saw old school, 1970s All Star level post play. When Delon passed up the 3 to feed him for that last shot and Serge collared him with affection.....nearly brought tears. I feel for the guy because so obviously his skill set is just so outmoded but he works hard, seems to be a great team guy and every once in awhile is really valuable no matter what the metrics say. As he won't bring much in a trade anyway I hope they keep him around and that he gets to appear in an NBA final or two before he's done. As a Raptor
    With OG, an engaged Ibaka, and Derozan showing a better effort on D JV is no longer a negative factor. He can afford to provide help D because he is getting enough help on his man. On O the modern, mobile bigs trying to defend him are going to get swept away. With the Raptors now showing movement, JV doesn't HAVE to make a play on the basket every time he receives the ball, he has options to pass out to. But when he is getting results like last night, "Release the hounds big fella."

  4. #11623
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    681
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There was a play last night when JV got switched on to antenenkoumpo on D on the wing. He got in stance, did well and Giannis passed the ball away. Great stuff.

  5. Like DanH, Puffer liked this post
  6. #11624
    Raptors Republic Veteran planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    7,423
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That was a retro performance by JV. Reminded me of that Miami series before he got injured.

  7. #11625
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    11,607
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    JV by far is having his best season as a Raptor.

  8. #11626
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,017
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Can we just have people admit, after the last four or five games, that JV is a valuable piece of the Raptors success so far this season? Maybe he shouldn't be traded force bag of used basketballs.

    Just sayin'.

  9. Like RaptorsVictim, SkywalkerAC, S.R. liked this post
  10. #11627
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9,511
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Can we just have people admit, after the last four or five games, that JV is a valuable piece of the Raptors success so far this season? Maybe he shouldn't be traded force bag of used basketballs.

    Just sayin'.
    he has been overall a pretty big positive (along with most of the team) since the end of november IMO.

  11. #11628
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,017
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KHD wrote: View Post
    last night was once again an example of how JV doesn't fit in the modern nba... in that he was a man among boys with those "modern" big...Anyways, besides the offensive explosion, i was pretty impressed with his defensive game...As ever, I'd like to see more of that kind of effort on both ends from the big man.
    No point posting a whole new effort after the 19 minute demonstration against Cleveland. I thought I would just use your old post.

  12. #11629
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    12,473
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Shameless self-reference:



  13. #11630
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    4,760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Shameless self-reference:


    You're a good man Dan!

  14. #11631
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    12,473
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Was just admiring DD's stats and noticed that JV has dragged himself above .200 WS/48 again after a pretty slow start to the season for him; he was down at his lowest number since his sophomore season a month ago. He's been incredible lately.

  15. #11632
    Raptors Republic Superstar S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,925
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Was just admiring DD's stats and noticed that JV has dragged himself above .200 WS/48 again after a pretty slow start to the season for him; he was down at his lowest number since his sophomore season a month ago. He's been incredible lately.
    I have never seen him this fired up over this extended a period of time through the regular season, maybe ever. He's bringing it whenever he's on the floor. That man has found peace.
    "Control DeRozan's catch-shoot game. He rarely passes. Defend the ball. Much of what they do reverses to 1 on 1 play." -- Visitor Locker Room Whiteboard, Air Canada Centre, Feb. 26, 2015

    "52/8/5/1/1" -- Jan. 1, 2018

  16. #11633
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9,511
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Was just admiring DD's stats and noticed that JV has dragged himself above .200 WS/48 again after a pretty slow start to the season for him; he was down at his lowest number since his sophomore season a month ago. He's been incredible lately.

    I am not sure how stats like DBPM and OBPM are calculated, and they seem to suggest otherwise, but for me he is having his best season, in spite of getting fewer minutes.

    For starters, he's putting up basically his career numbers in about 25% fewer minutes.

    Individually, his rate stats are all basically at career-highs and climbing by the month.

    Also, don't look twice but his DRTG according to NBA.com has dropped by the month and is sitting at 100 for the 6 games in January so far.

    And the big one, the team has been beating up on opponents with him out there, and the Net Rating reflects that. Swapping OG for Norm has turned the starters around big time. They are all able to do what they do best.
    Last edited by KHD; Fri Jan 12th, 2018 at 01:08 PM.

  17. #11634
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    12,473
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KHD wrote: View Post
    I am not sure how stats like DBPM and OBPM are calculated, and they seem to suggest otherwise, but for me he is having his best season, in spite of getting fewer minutes.

    For starters, he's putting up basically his career numbers in about 25% fewer minutes.

    Individually, his rate stats are all basically at career-highs and climbing by the month.

    Also, don't look twice but his DRTG according to NBA.com has dropped by the month and is sitting at 100 for the 6 games in January so far.

    And the big one, the team has been beating up on opponents with him out there, and the Net Rating reflects that. Swapping OG for Norm has turned the starters around big time. They are all able to do what they do best.
    BPM is pretty flawed. I saw a new version of it called PIPM that I read the methodology for and much prefer that to BPM.

  18. #11635
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9,511
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    BPM is pretty flawed. I saw a new version of it called PIPM that I read the methodology for and much prefer that to BPM.
    his MEME/36 rating is also off the charts


  19. Like S.R. liked this post
  20. #11636
    Raptors Republic Veteran 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    9,066
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think the biggest thing with JV the last few games is that he absolutely crushed both Cleveland and Milwaukee, two teams he struggled and was benched against in the playoffs last year.

    He forced Cleveland to try and match up with him, which is good sign. If we aren't the team that has to be reactionary, that idea well for th postseason

  21. #11637
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    13,597
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote 007 wrote: View Post
    I think the biggest thing with JV the last few games is that he absolutely crushed both Cleveland and Milwaukee, two teams he struggled and was benched against in the playoffs last year.

    He forced Cleveland to try and match up with him, which is good sign. If we aren't the team that has to be reactionary, that idea well for th postseason
    He struggled against Milwaukee a bit, but mostly he didn't get calls in the first couple of games then got benched because Ibaka was getting destroyed by Monroe.

    He played pretty well against Cleveland

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Jan 12th, 2018 at 02:50 PM.

  22. #11638
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Can we just have people admit, after the last four or five games, that JV is a valuable piece of the Raptors success so far this season? Maybe he shouldn't be traded force bag of used basketballs.

    Just sayin'.
    Funny readimg back through the thread and seeing how some were so irrationally negative on the guy

  23. #11639
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    He struggled against Milwaukee a bit, but mostly he didn't get calls in the first couple of games then got benched because Ibaka was getting destroyed by Monroe.

    He played pretty well against Cleveland

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Pretty well???

  24. #11640
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,017
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote G__Deane wrote: View Post
    Pretty well???
    He only got 15 points and 18 rebounds in 19 minutes. As Dan pointed out first NBA player to get 18 rebounds in 20 or less minutes since 1983. But he didn't break the record. Big White Stiff. Super Judge? Wasn't that your judgment? Or maybe I am wrong. So many have suggested that.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 9 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 9 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •