No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important for him to bottle and then bring this games mindset with him to every outing the rest of the season. He can't do anything about Casey's schemes or the minutes he gets. He can work to bring this energy every night. I know it's harder when the coach doesn't have confidence in you, but it seems like his teammates do. Even DD is looking for JV more this year. Jonas has to continue to play hard and play big.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
      Important for him to bottle and then bring this games mindset with him to every outing the rest of the season. He can't do anything about Casey's schemes or the minutes he gets. He can work to bring this energy every night. I know it's harder when the coach doesn't have confidence in you, but it seems like his teammates do. Even DD is looking for JV more this year. Jonas has to continue to play hard and play big.
      Are we watching the same team? To this point, I've seen less usage of JV this year than the previous 2 seasons. And Demar's USG is higher than ever. IMO, the only times you see an uptick in JV's usage is when DeMar is getting blitzed hard and other teams have a good scheme to trap him that he realizes he can't beat. When DeMar has no other options he starts passing the ball early.

DeMar does seem to respect Ibaka and is giving him the ball early and Serge is a willing passing to JV in the post when he's open. Fortunately, Serge's natural basketball instincts haven't been beaten out of him yet to the point where he rejects the easy basketball play, like finding the open man, and starts looking around for Kyle and DeMar. Similar situation with PJ. They have injected some common sense BBIQ on both sides of the ball, which is conducive to ball movement and defense which can help to maximize the whole team, instead of just Kyle and DeMar.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
        Are we watching the same team? To this point, I've seen less usage of JV this year than the previous 2 seasons. And Demar's USG is higher than ever. IMO, the only times you see an uptick in JV's usage is when DeMar is getting blitzed hard and other teams have a good scheme to trap him that he realizes he can't beat. When DeMar has no other options he starts passing the ball early.

DeMar does seem to respect Ibaka and is giving him the ball early and Serge is a willing passing to JV in the post when he's open. Fortunately, Serge's natural basketball instincts haven't been beaten out of him yet to the point where he rejects the easy basketball play, like finding the open man, and starts looking around for Kyle and DeMar. Similar situation with PJ. They have injected some common sense BBIQ on both sides of the ball, which is conducive to ball movement and defense which can help to maximize the whole team, instead of just Kyle and DeMar.
        I think DD-JV passing is about the same as last year.

Last year, DD passed to JV 4.3 times per game (21% of passes to JV) for 0.8 assists. This year, 4.6 (20%) for 0.7 assists. Considering JV's lower minutes, you could argue maybe a tiny increase in DD-to-JV passes, but overall pretty flat.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Last night looking like JVP.

Comment

• JV is like my Calloway Driver. I like my driver .. I need it .. its in my bag at all times and I have no desire to trade it for another driver or, after I shank one into the trees, just leave it at home ..but man it lets me down more often than not.

But when St. George is squared up and hits that damn little white ball on the screws... man I love that thing.

Same with JV... Just like I have 13 clubs in the bag and each one has a purpose Casey has 13 players on his bench and he is going to need them all, including our boy JV.

And when he is on .. and he is not going to be on or needed on every game or shot.... Its a thing of beauty just like my driver.

Can't wait till Kyle gets back and we go on a run that makes Shermans march to the Sea look tame.

and oh yeah FUCKBOSTON
            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Mar 9, 2017, 11:41 AM.
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
              JV is like my Calloway Driver. I like my driver .. I need it .. its in my bag at all times and I have no desire to trade it for another driver or after I shank one into the trees just leave it at home ..but man it lets me down more often than not.

But when St. George is squared up and hits that damn little white ball on the screws... man I love that thing.

Same with JV... Just like I have 13 clubs in the bag and each one has a purpose Casey has 13 players on his bench and he is going to need them all, including our boy JV.

And when he is on .. and he is not going to be on or needed on every game or shot.... Its a thing of beauty just like my driver.

Can't wait till Kyle gets back and we go on a run that makes Shermans march to the Sea look tame.

and oh yeah FUCKBOSTON
              Lol. Nice one, Demo.

And the moral of your story is........ the problem ain't your Calloway.

Comment

JV is like my Calloway Driver. I like my driver .. I need it .. its in my bag at all times and I have no desire to trade it for another driver or after I shank one into the trees just leave it at home ..but man it lets me down more often than not.

and oh yeah FUCKBOSTON

This is the thing, a guy like JV is needed less in the NBA in 2017 in general (though we can argue he should be getting used a bit more than he is by Casey), but take him off the Raptors and NOBODY on this roster replaces what he does. There is duplication of talent at other positions, Delon could step in for CoJo, Tucker could step in for Carroll, etc. but nobody can step in and do what JV does. If what he's needed for ends up swinging a playoff series, like it did last year, then it's all worth it regardless of how the regular season played out.

I'd still prefer to shed salary at other positions this summer than by dumping JV.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• the team is just straight up better when valanciunas gets touches.

Of course it'd be fantastic if he could play defence like he did last night every single game regardless of the offence.
                  But it seems that to get that level of effort you have to give the guy more than a token 2 post ups at the start of a game. That's "disappointing" if your Dwane Casey, i guess, but really not atypical in the league, especially for a guy who has been ostensibly developed to be a scoring big. Also it's not like you're sacrificing offensively, he's a force and has been for a long time.

Hit him in the PnR, hit him for that mid-range set shot when he's wide open, and hit him in the low post off of sets in motion (much deeper position will be had), he'll deliver more often than not, and his engagement on the other end of the floor is exponentially better.

Last night, look, Cousins isn't the fastest player, but he has the 3pt shot and has the ability to drive, but JV moved his feet extremely well and was able to more or less handle whatever Cousins wanted to do (with appropriate help, which is what you plan for anyway). I think that's the best "play with your feet" defence I have ever seen on the perimeter from Jonas.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                    Lol. Nice one, Demo.

And the moral of your story is........ the problem ain't your Calloway.

At times I ingore the truth... and lots of those times I am on the course
                    - TGO

Comment

• I think for JV he needs to get his touches to raise his play defensively. I don't think he'll ever be a legitimate defender but when he's engaged and hustles he passes the eye test (unless its a p&r with all-star PGs). We've seen this before though... next game Derozan will chuck up 40 shots over 3 defenders since he didn't get his 20-30 points yesterday... while JV has his hands up in the middle screaming for the ball lmao.

Comment

JV is like my Calloway Driver. I like my driver .. I need it .. its in my bag at all times and I have no desire to trade it for another driver or, after I shank one into the trees, just leave it at home ..but man it lets me down more often than not.

and oh yeah FUCKBOSTON
                        Nice analogy. Does this make kyle the putter? Ibaka a great hybrid? Pj tucker the sand wedge?

Im itching for golf season to return
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Deems wrote: View Post
                          I think for JV he needs to get his touches to raise his play defensively. I don't think he'll ever be a legitimate defender but when he's engaged and hustles he passes the eye test (unless its a p&r with all-star PGs). We've seen this before though... next game Derozan will chuck up 40 shots over 3 defenders since he didn't get his 20-30 points yesterday... while JV has his hands up in the middle screaming for the ball lmao.
                          The whole "give him 2-3 touches to start the 1st and 3rd quarters and ignore him for the rest of the game" thing is so blatant, it's irritating.

It's not just JV, it's been said here but the team as a whole is not great at deep post entry passes. Ibaka's gotten himself great position on a mismatch in transition several times already and the guards can't get him the ball in time, either.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                            The whole "give him 2-3 touches to start the 1st and 3rd quarters and ignore him for the rest of the game" thing is so blatant, it's irritating.

It's not just JV, it's been said here but the team as a whole is not great at deep post entry passes. Ibaka's gotten himself great position on a mismatch in transition several times already and the guards can't get him the ball in time, either.
                            Yeah definitely, I wouldn't even fault Casey for that it's up to the players to recognize these things.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Honestly, feeding the post is simply a matter of making it a priority. When DeMar kicks it to Ibaka it looks like he's got an easy entry pass to JV pretty much any time he wants it. And the only reason we're actually seeing that pass is because Ibaka isn't programmed to pass it back to DeMar. Ibaka sees JV open and he passes the ball to him. Simple play. Who knew? We could have been running that same type of indirect post feed with Patterson or Carroll. Yet, people justify it with stuff like: Kyle & DeMar aren't good at feeding the post, JV isn't getting deep enough position, etc..., etc... If nothing else, it gets the defense moving and collapsing more than normal.

It's hard to argue with Ride or Die because it's been relatively successful in the regular season, but we've seen what the ceiling for that type of offense looks like in the playoffs and it's downright unsightly.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                                Nice analogy. Does this make kyle the putter? Ibaka a great hybrid? Pj tucker the sand wedge?

Im itching for golf season to return
                                You drive for show but you putt for dough... Kyle is defintely the putter.
                                - TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X