Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SitnonDfence wrote: View Post
    Who is gonna bankroll a 19 year old kid 1.9 million dollars?
    Larry Tanenbaum's bankers. Likely interest free or at some nominal rate. In exchange for handling JV's business going forward. Also, as a favour to ol' Larry. That's how stuff like this usually works. I suspect other firms would also be happy to lend $1.9m to a person who is guaranteed, what, like $10mm dollars over the next 4 years? More? This isn't like lending money to 19-year old making $7/hour.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      From the SI.com Article:

And from the Original NBA.com article:

The future is now, Ladies & Gentlemen.
      That would look sick on a billboard. A huge Raptors billboard with JV, our pick(PJ3, Barnes or MKG), DeMar, and Andrea and then in huge letters it says "The Future is Now..." You gotta admit that would be epic

Comment

• wow you guys expect from JV way too much. i seen almost every game he played in LT national team and LRytas team. JV is not that good yet. he litterally got destroyed by Zalgiris centers (Javtokas and Rakovic) in LKL finals. Zalgiris completely dominated the board the whole series.

and that Bryan Colangelo interview was the funniest thing i heard in a long time - noone is praising Valanciunas in Lithuania. we see his potential - but we don't even expect him to contribute much to our national team in this year Olympics (if ofc we get there). he will probably get to play up to 10 minutes - not more - he is just not good enough yet. the only reason why JV had some highlights in last year European Championship - is that Sarunas Jasikevicius is an amazing point guard that can make any center look good. BTW some of us don't even think that JV deserves a place in national team this year - there are better and more expierenced players right now. the only reason why he will be in the team - it's the "potential" - too bad that "potential" doesn't win championships.

And you guys expect him to carry Raptors in the first year. I would say give him 2-4 years and he'll start putting decent numbers up - but i wouldn't bet on him being a STAR at all. For example, Darko Milicic at the same age was a far better player than JV is now. and look where Milicic is now.

Please guys HOLD YOUR HORSES - this is not Lebron James coming to your team. a big disappointment is very possible. but i do hope that JV succeeds in becoming a great player.

BTW that buy-out thing is very troublesome right now - this deal might not even happen. BC LRytas is in financial crisis right now - so they are looking to get every single possible penny out this JV deal - it's gonna be costly for the young player - if you take this money out of his contract - he will not have any left to live on. LRytas doesn't care at all about helping JV. keep that in mind
        Last edited by Skaloon; Thu May 31, 2012, 07:46 AM.

Comment

• Skaloon wrote: View Post
          wow you guys expect from JV way too much. i seen almost every game he played in LT national team and LRytas team. JV is not that good yet. he litterally got destroyed by Zalgiris centers (Javtokas and Rakovic) in LKL finals. Zalgiris completely dominated the board the whole series.

and that Bryan Colangelo interview was the funniest thing i heard in a long time - noone is praising Valanciunas in Lithuania. we see his potential - but we don't even expect him to contribute much to our national team in this year Olympics (if ofc we get there). he will probably get to play up to 10 minutes - not more - he is just not good enough yet.

And you guys expect him to carry Raptors in the first year. I would say give him 2-4 years and he'll start putting decent numbers up - but i wouldn't bet on him being a STAR at all. For example, Darko Milicic at the same age was a far better player than JV is now. and look where Milicic is now.

Please guys HOLD YOUR HORSES - this is not Lebron James coming to your team. a big disappointment is very possible. but i do hope that JV succeeds in becoming a great player.

BTW that buy-out thing is very troublesome right now - this deal might not even happen. BC LRytas is in financial crisis right now - so they are looking to get every single possible penny out this JV deal - it's gonna be costly for the young player - if you take this money out of his contract - he will not have any left to live on. LRytas doesn't care at all about helping JV. keep that in mind
          The buyout is already determined, there is a set amount and that will not, nor has, changed. I don't think there is one Raptor fan that thinks JV is going to come in and put up 20 and 10 playing 35 minutes a night. I think getting 20 plus minutes and working on consistency is what we all expect.

As for you assessment of his skills and potential, to say he is not that good yet confuses me.

On December 27, 2011 Jonas Valančiūnas was named Lithuania Basketball Player Of The Year.
          On February 13, 2012 Jonas Valančiūnas was named FIBA European Young Player of the Year. He also became that month's MVP in the VTB United League.
          On March 3, 2012, Valančiūnas participated in the LKL All-Star game. He led his team to victory, scoring 25 points including one three-pointer, grabbing 13 rebounds and dishing out 6 assists. He won the MVP award once again.
          In April, Valančiūnas won the Eurocup Rising Star award and was named in the All-Eurocup squad. He averaged 10.8 ppg, 7.6 rpg and 1.6 bpg while shooting 63.4% from the field, leading Lietuvos Rytas to third place.

He may not be a finished product, but I think it is safe to say he is pretty good.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
            The buyout is already determined, there is a set amount and that will not, nor has, changed. I don't think there is one Raptor fan that thinks JV is going to come in and put up 20 and 10 playing 35 minutes a night. I think getting 20 plus minutes and working on consistency is what we all expect.

As for you assessment of his skills and potential, to say he is not that good yet confuses me.

On December 27, 2011 Jonas Valančiūnas was named Lithuania Basketball Player Of The Year.
            On February 13, 2012 Jonas Valančiūnas was named FIBA European Young Player of the Year. He also became that month's MVP in the VTB United League.
            On March 3, 2012, Valančiūnas participated in the LKL All-Star game. He led his team to victory, scoring 25 points including one three-pointer, grabbing 13 rebounds and dishing out 6 assists. He won the MVP award once again.
            In April, Valančiūnas won the Eurocup Rising Star award and was named in the All-Eurocup squad. He averaged 10.8 ppg, 7.6 rpg and 1.6 bpg while shooting 63.4% from the field, leading Lietuvos Rytas to third place.

He may not be a finished product, but I think it is safe to say he is pretty good.
            dude i live here - i know the actual situation.

"On December 27, 2011 Jonas Valančiūnas was named Lithuania Basketball Player Of The Year"

stupid retarded thing - everyone laughed at this. it's pretty much the hype put out by media and young girls that find him sexy that led to this reward. i can name you at least 10 LT players that deserved this reward far more than him.

"On March 3, 2012, Valančiūnas participated in the LKL All-Star game. He led his team to victory, scoring 25 points including one three-pointer, grabbing 13 rebounds and dishing out 6 assists. He won the MVP award once again."

when did all-star games become serious? the game was a complete show with no defense.

"On February 13, 2012 Jonas Valančiūnas was named FIBA European Young Player of the Year. He also became that month's MVP in the VTB United League." and "In April, Valančiūnas won the Eurocup Rising Star award and was named in the All-Eurocup squad. He averaged 10.8 ppg, 7.6 rpg and 1.6 bpg while shooting 63.4% from the field, leading Lietuvos Rytas to third place."

awards praising his potential. however, when it comes to serious games - JV is nowhere to be found. it's easy to get decent stats when you play in a very bad team - LRytas was a horrible team this year. someone has to get those balls and some points. the problem is not that he has 10/7 stats. the problem is that in such a bad team he didn't managed to be 20/10.

i'm telling you - you might be up for a big dissapointment - cause i see the actual situation first hand and from what i see JV is not that good. i hope he becomes a GREAT player - but i wouldn't count on it.
            Last edited by Skaloon; Thu May 31, 2012, 07:58 AM.

Comment

• JV deserved all the awards he got and he will play more than 10 minutes a game in the national team, because he is the best offensive center of the team

Comment

• Vykis wrote: View Post
                JV deserved all the awards he got and he will play more than 10 minutes a game in the national team, because he is the best offensive center of the team
                i can bet that this year we gonna be running a small line-up with 2 PF most of the time in any serious game. Kleiza is back - world championship bronze medal winning team strats will be back.

Comment

• JV can run the floor really well, so he would thrive in that system. Plus the national team doesnt have long, athletic, quality PFs to play the 5

Comment

JV can run the floor really well, so he would thrive in that system. Plus the national team doesnt have long, athletic, quality PFs to play the 5
                    ain't gonna happen - you'll see

Comment

dude i live here - i know the actual situation.

"On December 27, 2011 Jonas Valančiūnas was named Lithuania Basketball Player Of The Year"

stupid retarded thing - everyone laughed at this. it's pretty much the hype put out by media and young girls that find him sexy that led to this reward. i can name you at least 10 LT players that deserved this reward far more than him.

"On March 3, 2012, Valančiūnas participated in the LKL All-Star game. He led his team to victory, scoring 25 points including one three-pointer, grabbing 13 rebounds and dishing out 6 assists. He won the MVP award once again."

when did all-star games become serious? the game was a complete show with no defense.

"On February 13, 2012 Jonas Valančiūnas was named FIBA European Young Player of the Year. He also became that month's MVP in the VTB United League." and "In April, Valančiūnas won the Eurocup Rising Star award and was named in the All-Eurocup squad. He averaged 10.8 ppg, 7.6 rpg and 1.6 bpg while shooting 63.4% from the field, leading Lietuvos Rytas to third place."

awards praising his potential. however, when it comes to serious games - JV is nowhere to be found. it's easy to get decent stats when you play in a very bad team - LRytas was a horrible team this year. someone has to get those balls and some points. the problem is not that he has 10/7 stats. the problem is that in such a bad team he didn't managed to be 20/10.

i'm telling you - you might be up for a big dissapointment - cause i see the actual situation first hand and from what i see JV is not that good. i hope he becomes a GREAT player - but i wouldn't count on it.
                      Did JV tap your sister, mother, or aunt? This is some serious hate going on.

JV is 19 years old going against grown MEN. Despite this he still held his own. Lets put Anthony Davis out there against grown men and see how he does - not saying Davis is an inferior talent, saying that Davis played against inferior competition.

Instead of throwing out vague statements like, "I can name you 10 LT players that deserved this reward far more than him." Well, how about naming them? Enlighten some ignorant NBA and Raptors fans, please.

As for LRytas, for such a crap team, they managed to compete very well in all the leagues they played. By this reasoning, anyone who does not finish 1st is garbage. In LKL they finished second at 18-4. In the EuroCup they finished 3rd out of 24 teams. In VTB they went 15-8. In the BBL they went 16-2.

Were they better than Zalgris? No. Were they a horrible team? Hardly.

Replying with "dude I live here - I know the actual situation" is is an empty statement intended to give a perceived advantage to the discussion when it actually means little when not backed by anything other than opinions.

Anyone expecting 20/10 from JV is delusional. 8-9 and 6-7 seems very reasonable given his shooting percentages and constant effort. Just by trying on every possession he is going to beat half the big men in the NBA, in my opinion.

Comment

wow you guys expect from JV way too much.

And you guys expect him to carry Raptors in the first year.
                        Can you give us three quotes of people on here who say that Valanciunas will be carrying us next year. Three, that's all I'm asking for...

Comment

• He's a Zalgiris fan, Rytas is a rival team, so some of the fans critique the oposing team and its players rather unfairly, I think that is the case in this situation.

Comment

• Considering that virtually ALL NBA scouts/insiders have nothing but positive things to say about Valanciunas, I'm pretty sure Skaloon is talking out of his/her ass.

Comment

He's a Zalgiris fan, Rytas is a rival team, so some of the fans critique the oposing team and its players rather unfairly, I think that is the case in this situation.
                              +1

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                Considering that virtually ALL NBA scouts/insiders have nothing but positive things to say about Valanciunas, I'm pretty sure Skaloon is talking out of his/her ass.
                                +1 exactly

Comment

Working...
                                X