Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vykis wrote: View Post
    He's a Zalgiris fan, Rytas is a rival team, so some of the fans critique the oposing team and its players rather unfairly, I think that is the case in this situation.
    i'm not a zalgiris fan. never was. i actually always sympathized with LRytas cause they were underdogs most of the time. however, i'm not a fan regarding any b-ball team. i'm all for good b-ball, that's all. i'm not even a fan of my national team. i actually more interested in NBA than in europe b-ball.

and no i have no hatred towards valanciunas. the only thing i see from you guys are too much expectations. i wish him to become a great basketball player, but right now i just don't see any grounds for this hype. he didn't managed to become a real leader of LRytas (which had a bad team this year) and he didn't dominate any of decent opponents in europe after the junior championships.

all i'm saying - do not expect too much from JV - he needs to improve A LOT - to become a decent player in NBA - not even talking about becoming a great player in NBA

again Darko Milicic example - the first time i saw that guy - i tought he gonna be 1 of the best centers ever. at JV age - Darko looked far better - but he didn't lived up to expectations at all. when you guys say that JV can have 10/10 stats the first year - it's seems way too optimistic for me

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Considering that virtually ALL NBA scouts/insiders have nothing but positive things to say about Valanciunas, I'm pretty sure Skaloon is talking out of his/her ass.
    considering that these NBA experts called him the best player in Europe - better than Kirilenko (for example) at this particular moment - which he clearly in no way is - i really doubt the sincerity of these experts.
    Last edited by Skaloon; Thu May 31, 2012, 04:20 PM.

Comment

• NBA scouts know more than you bro. Its their job they get payed a shit ton of money to track and analyze players. I'd listen to them over you

Comment

• Skaloon wrote: View Post
        when you guys say that JV can have 10/10 stats the first year - it's seems way too optimistic for me
        Find me ONE person, who said JV was going to average a Double-double as a rookie. Do it.

Until then, you're arguments are falling on deaf ears.

Of COURSE he has alot of improving to do before he's a great NBA player.
        He's 19!! And he's not even IN the NBA yet!

But you are, in fact, in the minority with your opinion in terms of the type of player he can become.
        Down the line, I see ZERO reason that shows me he CAN'T be a great player in the NBA.
        Whether or not he does, I have no idea. But the evidence proves he's a special player.

Darko and JV play two completely different games.
        Darko was more finesse, no brawn. Like MANY failed European Centers.
        JV is mostly Brawn, with a little finesse to his game. Like MANY successful Centers.
        Last edited by Joey; Thu May 31, 2012, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
          NBA scouts know more than you bro. Its their job they get payed a shit ton of money to track and analyze players. I'd listen to them over you
          yes they do know more - FAR more. but what they say - it's not sincere. my example, of naming Valanciunas the best basketball player in europe this year - shows how sincere NBA scouts are - when they make public statements
          Last edited by Skaloon; Thu May 31, 2012, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            find me one person, who said jv was going to average a double-double as a rookie. Do it.

Until then, you're arguments are falling on deaf ears.

Of course he has alot of improving to do before he's a great nba player.
            He's 19!! And he's not even in the nba yet!
            this:

thead wrote: View Post
            i don't think he is as much of a project as people are saying. His footwork is great he has an assortment of post moves, baby hook up and under, turn around jump shot. He is fantastic at creating a pocket of space. He may get called in the nba for hooking, all though he uses his elbows instead of his whole arm. He looks comfortable shooting from 10-15ft, isn't afraid of contact. I think his curve is going to be more about getting stronger and learning the tricks of the nba game. Alabi is a project...bigv is a contributor in his first year, maybe not 20/10 but i see 10/10 and 2 blocks as doable. Also he is already above 80% from the free throw line which if you are a prolific offensive rebounder is a fantastic combination to have. Get used to hearing hoop and harm or and1 quite a bit.
            i see 10/10 and 2 blocks as doable

Comment

this:

Damnit thead, You just made me look silly. Haha

Fine Skaloon ... find me another person saying that! ... hahaha

Regardless, I think the point is, that while there are those who's expectations are fairly optimistic, the majority of the fan base has maintained a fairly level head throughout the JV process.

Our enthusiasm has, for the most part, been curbed.
              Last edited by Joey; Thu May 31, 2012, 06:01 PM.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                Damnit thead, You just made me look silly. Haha
                well if you don't hold same convictions liek thead - then it's all good. i do think that JV gonna have like 10/6 at his second year - cause kid is working hard and he is really determined. but how much can he improve from decent bench player and can he be an actual star in NBA - i wouldn't bet on it.
                Last edited by Skaloon; Thu May 31, 2012, 06:03 PM.

Comment

yes they do know more - FAR more. but what they say - it's not sincere. my example, of naming Valanciunas the best basketball player in europe this year - shows how sincere NBA scouts are - when they make public statements
                  I think you are confusing the North Americans saying who is the best prospect in Europe vs. who is the best player playing in Europe.
                  Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

this:

I would hardly call 10 pts, 10 rebounds and 2 blocks stats worthy of fanbase expecting a rookie to be a superstar. Depending on minutes played, I'd be happy with 7/7/1 - 8/8/1 to start. Fans get pissed of when Bargnani only gets 5-6 rebounds a game in 30 mins, I sincerely hope for JV's sake that he can grab 7-9 RPG in 25-30 MPG. The 7-10 PPG shouldn't be that difficult if he gets that 25-30 MPG, just from garbage putback and free throws. If us fans were expecting Kevin Love type numbers, that would be unfair expectations, but 7/7 - 10/10 range I don't see as being too unrealistic, assuming he's playing at least 25-30 MPG.

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                      I think you are confusing the North Americans saying who is the best prospect in Europe vs. who is the best player playing in Europe.
                      http://www.nba.com/news/features/201...vey/index.html

general managers. however, i do not know exactly the structure of nba system and what general managers do. enlighten me if you can

Comment

well if you don't hold same convictions liek thead - than it's all good. i do think that JV gonna have like 10/6 at his second year.
                        I'd say 8/6 are are reasonable numbers to expect of him as a rookie.
                        And assuming he takes well to coaching, expecting an 'Andrew Bynum/Joakim Noah' type of outcome, is not completely out of the question, by the time he is 25 or 26 years old.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          I would hardly call 10 pts, 10 rebounds and 2 blocks stats worthy of fanbase expecting a rookie to be a superstar. Depending on minutes played, I'd be happy with 7/7/1 - 8/8/1 to start. Fans get pissed of when Bargnani only gets 5-6 rebounds a game in 30 mins, I sincerely hope for JV's sake that he can grab 7-9 RPG in 25-30 MPG. The 7-10 PPG shouldn't be that difficult if he gets that 25-30 MPG, just from garbage putback and free throws. If us fans were expecting Kevin Love type numbers, that would be unfair expectations, but 7/7 - 10/10 range I don't see as being too unrealistic, assuming he's playing at least 25-30 MPG.
                          i really doubt that JV gonna be in the starting five and imo he'll play not more than 20 MPG first year. but we'll see - enough speculations. hope for the best - prepare for the worst. hopefully no injuries...
                          Last edited by Skaloon; Thu May 31, 2012, 06:26 PM.

Comment

hope for the best - prepare for the worst. hopefully no injuries...
                            This would make a good toast before a night of drinking!!

But yes, I think we can all agree on this last line.

Comment

• Skaloon, 10/6 on his second year, really? I mean I get that you're not a fan of this huge hype surrounding JV, but... this just looks a little ignorant. I think 10/6 on his second season would be pretty close to worst case scenario. And no, I'm not biased, I'm a Zalgiris fan all the way, I just like looking at things objectively.

Comment

• Sorry Joey...although having watched a number of the games and with his MOTOR...10 pts is a couple of free throws, a couple of tip ins the odd oop and layup....seems doable in 20-25 minutes for him. I figured 10 boards as Davis could almost do that in his rookie season and doesn't have the motor or length of JV....I could be reaching on the swats though....let's go with 1.9....

well my expectations may be rosy I don't think they are without merit. 10/10/2 is certainly not all star calibre, nor do I expect that. I'm saving my 20/10/3 expectations for his second year...i kid i kid
                                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                                X