Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rocwell wrote: View Post
    http://forums.realgm.com/boards/view...1138#p35836523

Well, JV wants Casey to stay nice interview.
    Thanks for posting.

Comment

• Interesting paragraph from Bill Simmons look at Dwight Howard:
      "By Year 10, you are who you are as a big guy. Hakeem peaked the latest of anyone — Year 9 — and trust me, Dwight Howard ain't Hakeem. Kareem peaked in Year 2 and kept peaking all the way through Year 8. Shaq, Mourning and Moses peaked in Year 8. McHale peaked in Year 7. Ewing peaked in Year 6. Duncan, Robinson, Gilmore and Walton peaked in Year 5. Dwight Howard peaked from Year 5 through Year 7, and now he's here. "

I know everyone says big guys take a little longer, but the number of star centers that didn't reach their peak until 7th year or after is truly interesting. Just more reason that JV should be untouchable. I don's see any reason he shouldn't keep getting better for years.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-dwight-howard

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
        Interesting paragraph from Bill Simmons look at Dwight Howard:
        "By Year 10, you are who you are as a big guy. Hakeem peaked the latest of anyone — Year 9 — and trust me, Dwight Howard ain't Hakeem. Kareem peaked in Year 2 and kept peaking all the way through Year 8. Shaq, Mourning and Moses peaked in Year 8. McHale peaked in Year 7. Ewing peaked in Year 6. Duncan, Robinson, Gilmore and Walton peaked in Year 5. Dwight Howard peaked from Year 5 through Year 7, and now he's here. "

I know everyone says big guys take a little longer, but the number of star centers that didn't reach their peak until 7th year or after is truly interesting. Just more reason that JV should be untouchable. I don's see any reason he shouldn't keep getting better for years.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-dwight-howard
        The one thing the peak years do not take in to consideration is at what age guys came in to the league.

Robinson was 25.
        A lot of the older guys and Duncan played 4 years of college.
        Shaq played one year of college.
        Howard was high school.

I agree with the premise though: Howard has peaked and as his physical abilities decline, he will be useless because he does not have the fundamentals.

Comment

• Also the fact that peak is basically just talking about best year(s) in terms of production.

I mean, Duncan's "peak" year is pretty similar to his first 8 seasons. His point total was "noticeably" higher I guess, hitting 25 ppg, as opposed to low-20s in the other seasons. He only averaged under 20 points once in his first 10 seasons (and it wasn't his rookie year).

Anyway, all this just to say that "peak" isn't what interests me, it's "prime". How many prime years can a player have? And in this question, being a skilled, fundamentally sound player makes a big difference.

So guys like Duncan, Hakeem, Kareem, etc., that have solid skills, usually reach their prime faster, and stay in it longer. I mean, Duncan didn't win a ring in his "peak" year. He won in his rookie year, and then didn't win his second until the season after his "peak"...and then 2 more after that...because really, he hadn't started declining at all.

But for a guy like Howard, there are already doubts as to whether he's done with his "prime" years. Will he be able to contribute as a main guy to a championship run...5 years after his peak (Spurs won in '07, 5 years after TD's peak)? Or how about more than a decade later even at a near-elite level?...like Duncan is now.

Anyway, I'm really happy JV is a player who utilizes different fundamental skills and seems to have a strong ball IQ.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            The one thing the peak years do not take in to consideration is at what age guys came in to the league.

Robinson was 25.
            A lot of the older guys and Duncan played 4 years of college.
            Shaq played one year of college.
            Howard was high school....
            All the better. So add the extra college years and it is even more interesting. Age at first year of "peak":
            Hakeem 30
            Kareem 24
            Shaq 28
            Mourning 30
            Moses 27
            McHale 30
            Ewing 29
            Duncan 26
            Robinson 29
            Gilmore 27
            Walton 27

It could be 5 or more years before you really see what you have with JV, and he could keep improving for 9. Couldn't be more excited. Sign him to a 10 year contract right now, at 6 million per and reap the benefits for years. (If only they could)

Comment

• I'm so glad Bryan is no longer the one giving out new contracts/extensions.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                ...all this just to say that "peak" isn't what interests me, it's "prime". How many prime years can a player have? And in this question, being a skilled, fundamentally sound player makes a big difference...
                Absolutely agree. I just thought it was interesting how far down the road a big's peak year was, in the case of those outstanding players. Presumably you can reach your "prime" at the height of your physical development but your "peak' might be a couple of years along because if you are a smart player, you keep adding to your knowledge base and improving your game before the inevitable deterioration in physical skills. Just as obviously improved knowledge of how to play the game can compensate for diminishing physical skills.

JV seems to show the attitude, and his improvement over the first season shows an ability to learn and adapt. going to be fun watching him develop.

Comment

Absolutely agree. I just thought it was interesting how far down the road a big's peak year was, in the case of those outstanding players. Presumably you can reach your "prime" at the height of your physical development but your "peak' might be a couple of years along because if you are a smart player, you keep adding to your knowledge base and improving your game before the inevitable deterioration in physical skills. Just as obviously improved knowledge of how to play the game can compensate for diminishing physical skills.

JV seems to show the attitude, and his improvement over the first season shows an ability to learn and adapt. going to be fun watching him develop.
                  He is also coming from a place where basketball is a religion.

Comment

I still just really don't like the word.

Olajuwon for example....the first year of his "peak" according to this thing was actually the last year of his defensive "peak". After his 9th season, his defensive numbers would never stay as high as they were...his defensive "peak" started around his 4th season. Just a messy word....Hard to use and be precise.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      I still just really don't like the word...Just a messy word....Hard to use and be precise.
                      Ahhh well. It's not a science.

I agree that words are important. I like your reference to "prime." I think all "peak" speaks to (if it is 6-7 years after joining the league) is how long a player might have been in his "prime." If a player peaked at 28, he was probably rocking it for 24, 25, 26, and 27.

Comment

• I guess the era needs to be addressed here as well.
                        Those old guys played in the more competitive era.
                        Peaking during that time playing against some of the best players who ever played the game
                        can be different playing in this era where there is virtually no competition.
                        JV doesn't have to play against elite bigs every time.

Comment

• LateBoomer wrote: View Post
                          I guess the era needs to be addressed here as well.
                          Those old guys played in the more competitive era.
                          Peaking during that time playing against some of the best players who ever played the game
                          can be different playing in this era where there is virtually no competition.
                          JV doesn't have to play against elite bigs every time.
                          That is a good point.

The big men of today are not like the big men of 10+ years ago.

Comment

...The big men of today are not like the big men of 10+ years ago.
                            No, we're ten + years older.

Comment

That is a good point.

The big men of today are not like the big men of 10+ years ago.
                              Does that mean JV will dominate!?

Comment

• watch the new GM whoever it may be trade JV for Gasol and Bynum or something.... lol

Comment

Working...
                                X