Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SandmanFan wrote: View Post
    Where would JV rank is he was in the 2012 draft? Still a top 5 pick?
    It is hard to say. Looking at his stats the case could be made he has regressed (I don't agree though as he is not playing with a pass first PG). One could also say he is playing inferior competition this year in the EuroCup versus the EuroLeague.

Personally I think he would be top 5 (but I am biased). I would think top 10 for sure. Athletic 6'11"/7'0" with his skill set and motor are not common.

Comment

• SandmanFan wrote: View Post
      Where would JV rank is he was in the 2012 draft? Still a top 5 pick?
      If JV was in the 2012 draft, and the U19 tournament already happened, I could see him in the top 5. But just like Matt, I am biased too.

Good centers are rare, and everyone needs one. JV is possibly the second best center (next to Drummond) in the 2012 draft class. If the top 3 are Davis, Drummond and Barnes.. then JV could be 4th. However it also depends on what happens after the NCAA tournament where someone can get hot like Kidd-Gilchrist, Miller, Sullinger, Lamb, Jones, etc.

Comment

• Those last three games were against Lithuanian league bottom teams, so right, not strongest opponents. Next year they are starting with 3 games against really strong teams. And looking to a further schedule, it seems to be filled with high level VTB and Eurocup games for them, especially since Eurocup reached second stage, where bottom teams were removed.

So JV still has chance to up his value for an upcoming fantasy draft, or screw it down

Comment

• JV with another strong showing helping L. Rytas send Spartak of St. Petersberg, Russia home with their first loss of the season winning 72-61.

JV statline:

14 pts
          4/8 fg
          6/6 ft
          11 reb (4 offensive)
          2 asts
          0 stl
          4 blk
          3 to
          3 pf

27:50 minutes

Boxscore

Comment

• JV needs a little more lift in his jump. When he goes in for a dunk he's only a few inches off the floor.

What he needs are a pair of Jimmy's training shoes:

Comment

• I think Val will start off next year in a similar way to how Enes Kanter is progressing. Although, Kanter is struggling with his shot he's contributing in rebounds and other ways. He'll eventually get his offensive game back to his norm, I see Val doing the same. He'll struggle against stronger NBA centers at first but his length and athleticism will help him get rebounds and FT's.
              -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
              -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

• he'll start off slightly better than kanter IMO

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                  he'll start off slightly better than kanter IMO
                  I think Valanciunas will get force-fed minutes next year (unlike Kanter this year). That alone should give Valanciunas significantly better rookie numbers in comparison.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    I think Valanciunas will get force-fed minutes next year (unlike Kanter this year). That alone should give Valanciunas significantly better rookie numbers in comparison.
                    I wouldn't be so sure. Ed Davis is not getting any forced minutes atm.. Casey might have different vision. In his mind "Andrea is even really young guy", so he might not force JV start.

Comment

• irgigi wrote: View Post
                      I wouldn't be so sure. Ed Davis is not getting any forced minutes atm.. Casey might have different vision. In his mind "Andrea is even really young guy", so he might not force JV start.
                      True. The only possible difference I see are Andrea Bargnani and ED play the same position versus Valanciunas who might only face Jamaal Magloire and Solomon Alabi for competition for minutes (if you want to consider Amir a C then you could inclue him as well).

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        True. The only possible difference I see are Andrea Bargnani and ED play the same position versus Valanciunas who might only face Jamaal Magloire and Solomon Alabi for competition for minutes (if you want to consider Amir a C then you could inclue him as well).
                        +1. I really feel for Ed. Even in the last game, the guy was really forcing everything on the offensive end. If he continues to do his 10 and 10 every night (if given more than 20 minutes), he should have no problems getting his slice. As for JV, I think it will be slow as well (not because of his skill but his build - the kid needs another 30 lbs +).
                        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Exactly.

I don't think Amir, even with his added bulk, can be relied upon to man the middle for a full season. He'll plug the hole this year (along with Magloire), but those minutes have Valaciunas's name tattooed all over them next year.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            Exactly.

I don't think Amir, even with his added bulk, can be relied upon to man the middle for a full season. He'll plug the hole this year (along with Magloire), but those minutes have Valaciunas's name tattooed all over them next year.
                            Been thinking more about a big 4 rotation of Val, Bargs (if keeps up effort of this year, ED, and Amir with a 5th (Gray/Alabi/Magloire/George Costanza) could be quite solid.

Comment

• Maleko wrote: View Post
                              Been thinking more about a big 4 rotation of Val, Bargs (if keeps up effort of this year, ED, and Amir with a 5th (Gray/Alabi/Magloire/George Costanza) could be quite solid.
                              A 4 man Rotation at the 4-5 spot isn't really the best idea in my opinion.
                              I'd rather use one of the 4 guys to acquire and fill another hole we have.

With 96 minutes between the PF and C spots, you're looking at 24mpg each. And thats with 4 guys, not including a 5th (Gray/Alabi etc.)

Now assuming JV and AB need closer to 30+mpg, say 32? So 64 between those two, leaves 32 mins for Ed and Amir.
                              Neither is worth keeping if we're only playing them 16mpg each, so move one, give the other guy 25mpg, and leave 7mpg for Gray/Alabi/Magloire.

(Did all that math in my head. Impressive, eh? Hahah)
                              Last edited by Joey; Wed Jan 4, 2012, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                                A 4 man Rotation at the 4-5 spot isn't really the best idea in my opinion.
                                I'd rather use one of the 4 guys to acquire and fill another hole we have.

With 96 minutes between the PF and C spots, you're looking at 24mpg each. And thats with 4 guys, not including a 5th (Gray/Alabi etc.)

Now assuming JV and AB need closer to 30+mpg, say 32? So 64 between those two, leaves 32 mins for Ed and Amir.
                                Neither is worth keeping if we're only playing them 16mpg each, so move one, give the other guy 25mpg, and leave 7mpg for Gray/Alabi/Magloire.

(Did all that math in my head. Impressive, eh? Hahah)
                                I don't think JV will get 30+ mpg. That's a lot of minutes for a rookie, who can quickly hit that rookie wall. I'd say closer to 17/18 mpg, and even then that's a bit high in my opinion. Davis is only getting about 17 mpg this year, and he's a sophomore in the NBA.

So I think a 5 man rotation can work next year. 4 would be ideal, but that would be once JV gives us heavy minutes. And I'd think that would be in 2013/2014 not 2012/2013 - and who knows what our lineup will be like then. By then we could lose Amir, Bargs and Davis.

Comment

Working...
                                X