• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithuanian dude just sent me this:

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...CGaJXPRlDydEdA

Comment

• Craig wrote: View Post
      Im not quite sure how it works, but I don't think the Raps have any legal jurisdiction to say anything. Anyone know this stuff?
      He still is owned by MLSE Raptors, not Lithuania, so yes Raps should have any legal jurisdiction even if he plays for Lithuania.

Comment

• "owns him?"

I don't think so bud, he works for them, and he might have a contract with them, but they don't own him.

It's a contractual question. Is he allowed by contract, to play for his national squad? If the answer is yes, as long as he has insurance, then, yes he is allowed, and the National team and Jonas will do as they please, with Toronto having no grounds whatsoever to say a word.

I imagine it is very much the same as most other Pro sports.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
          He still is owned by MLSE Raptors, not Lithuania, so yes Raps should have any legal jurisdiction even if he plays for Lithuania.
          We's owned, massa?

Comment

I found this, from Tiago Splitter, explains it well;

“I told (Brazilian team officials) that of course there is a problem,” Splitter said. “Most important is the insurance. If the NBA is in lockout, I don’t have insurance to play with them. They have to figure out how to deal (with) that. If not, I’m not playing.”

Under the current CBA, teams can’t prohibit players from competing in FIBA events. However, NBA teams must be indemnified against injury incurred in international competition. The cost of insuring contracts worth millions is significant.

“We start in July, our camp with national team,” Splitter said. “I will be (in Brazil), waiting (for) what they can find. There are a lot of international players with the same issue. I don’t know who is going to take care of (insurance): FIBA or companies or even the federation. So everybody is waiting.

“It is going to be expensive, and it is going to cost more for guys with big contracts, so it is really going to cost a lot for Tony (Parker) and Manu (Ginobili) because they must insure the whole contract.

Comment

• CBA states:

"The NBA’s agreement with FIBA also requires NBA teams to allow their players to play for their national teams in major FIBA competitions, including the European Championships, the World Championships and the Olympics, as long as the competition does not conflict with an NBA game and the player is adequately insured. NBA teams can’t take any steps to dissuade their players from participating in such competitions, such as asking their players not to participate or making public statements suggesting they do not want their players to play in these competitions."

What I want to say, Raptors def. have legal grounds to do something with JV. Sure, not direct legal action, but still. Why? He played on unsafe conditions and it's more than likely breach of insurance terms. If you would be insurer I bet you would allow player worth millions play on unsafe conditions and if he gets injured pay the big money to NBA team. Unfortunately for the Raptors every insurance claim would be denied, like I said, playing on unsafe conditions is a breach of insurance contract. Plus Lithuania wrote articles about this stuff and there is even official apology from the arena. MLSE lawyers can easily fix this issue and JV could be back in Toronto. But, because every regular basketball fan have respect for Lithuania, there is no way they will try to take legal action against Lithuania national team, it would be disgusting and it would affect relationship between Raps and JV.

As a Raps fan, I really hope next time Lithuania will play in good arena I was there during 2011 Eurobasket and oh my, they have plenty of good arenas!

Comment

CBA states:

"The NBA’s agreement with FIBA also requires NBA teams to allow their players to play for their national teams in major FIBA competitions, including the European Championships, the World Championships and the Olympics, as long as the competition does not conflict with an NBA game and the player is adequately insured. NBA teams can’t take any steps to dissuade their players from participating in such competitions, such as asking their players not to participate or making public statements suggesting they do not want their players to play in these competitions."

What I want to say, Raptors def. have legal grounds to do something with JV. Sure, not direct legal action, but still. Why? He played on unsafe conditions and it's more than likely breach of insurance terms. If you would be insurer I bet you would allow player worth millions play on unsafe conditions and if he gets injured pay the big money to NBA team. Unfortunately for the Raptors every insurance claim would be denied, like I said, playing on unsafe conditions is a breach of insurance contract. Plus Lithuania wrote articles about this stuff and there is even official apology from the arena. MLSE lawyers can easily fix this issue and JV could be back in Toronto. But, because every regular basketball fan have respect for Lithuania, there is no way they will try to take legal action against Lithuania national team, it would be disgusting and it would affect relationship between Raps and JV.

As a Raps fan, I really hope next time Lithuania will play in good arena I was there during 2011 Eurobasket and oh my, they have plenty of good arenas!
                Yeah, it's the only crappy arena in Lithuania and they let them play in this shit-hole!!! I know the basketball federation in Lithuania took a lot of heat for this decision to let them play in this horribly old arena as they had multiple other choices of modern and nice arenas. It won't happen again neither this summer nor in the future, but things could have gone seriuosly wrong on this one occasion... it was so bad, the game was unwatchable as everybody was basically skating on ice without skates or ice... the ball was slipping out of hands all the time. Players couldn't even complete shots on multiple occasions (air balls) as the wet ball just slipped out of hands. Even free-throw shooting was tough for guys who normally shoot around 90%... I think a saw an airball on a free-throw from a guy who's shooting over 90% normally - it was that bad!

Comment

• When does JV play next in an exhibition?

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                    When does JV play next in an exhibition?
                    Tomorrow. Here's the complete schedule.

Comment

• Great, more JV action today and the day after tommorow

Comment

• Not the best resolution:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sportotv-lt

Comment

• Not sure if this Lithuania fast playing style fits them well..

JV 5 pts, 3 rebs.

Comment

• Alternative stream if the one above isn't working for you (pretty bad quality as well):

http://www.sportotv.lt/rungtynes/1450/lietuva-svedija-1

Comment

• What do his stats look like so far?

Comment

• Sam17 wrote: View Post
                                What do his stats look like so far?
                                9 pts, 4 rebs. 1 min to go 1st half. Seen only one postup for JV. plus JV defending center who shoots only threes

Comment

Working...
                                X