No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As has been noted numerous times, JV battles for position, gets it, and is looked off. And with DeMar and Rudy shooting whatever stupid % of the Raptors shots, how much opportunity does JV get?

I think the last few games, where the Raps make 6 trips down the floor, JV gets the ball 5 times and comes away with 8 points tells you what you need to know. As for rebounding, Amir does a good job, And Rudy and Lowry do pretty good jobs of rebounding as well. JV is doing just fine.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      Just browsing the general stats from some of the other young, up and coming centres in the league

pts/rebs/blks/per:

Anthony Davis - 21/11/3.1/29.83 (that's nuts by the way)
      Andre Drummond - 11/11/1.6/21.65 (outstanding)
      Enes Kanter - 16/7/0.8/17.45
      JV - 9/7/1.1/13.96

Is there anything to be concerned about with JV's seemingly slower development (College experience vs. Euroleague debate)?

Is he maybe not as good as the hype that surrounds him (Is JV more Noah than Dwight)?

Is he maybe not as athletic as thes other players (He seems to be plodding up and down the court, and doesn't exactly jump that high. He's not the athlete he looked like he was in his teens)?

Thoughts?
      You have to take into account that fact that JV's touching the ball a maximum of 5 times a game. There's zero offense oriented around him, which is surprising considering he's touted as the face of the franchise for years to come.
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• JV will never meet his expectations if we keep two highly-scoring wings.

Comment

• JV's doing fine. He's still just a 2nd year player and his going to have some bad games pretty frequently. He actually hasn't played badly in a lot of the games, and has definitely been underutilized...

In general Casey hasn't done a great job involving our bigs. I mean, when's the last time you saw Amir catching a pass on the roll for a dunk? I feel like he hasn't gotten to finish on one all year, but I really could be wrong...Still it feels that way. Same for Jonas where I don't think he's had more than 3 or 4. It's really sad that they don't run it more. Wonder if they'll try to work it in.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            JV's doing fine. He's still just a 2nd year player and his going to have some bad games pretty frequently. He actually hasn't played badly in a lot of the games, and has definitely been underutilized...

In general Casey hasn't done a great job involving our bigs. I mean, when's the last time you saw Amir catching a pass on the roll for a dunk? I feel like he hasn't gotten to finish on one all year, but I really could be wrong...Still it feels that way. Same for Jonas where I don't think he's had more than 3 or 4. It's really sad that they don't run it more. Wonder if they'll try to work it in.
            Probably not.

Remember Casey's desire? Shooters. He wanted shooters for his high school sets.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
              He wanted shooters for his high school sets.
              HAHAHA This made me laugh ... one of those "its funny because its completely true" situations.

The offensive plays Casey runs could literally be picked up at a Coaching Seminar at Humber College over a weekend.

Comment

• As long as we have both, DeMar and Gay, on this team, JV will never get enough touches and he'll never get into any kind of rhythm (season). For a developping player with JV's potential there's nothing more important than getting regular touches and a lot of playing time.

JV should be playing 35+ minutes a game and taking 15-20 shots a game. Even (and especially) when he plays against the big frontcourts like Memphis' or Indiana, etc. He has to get the opportunities to fail, learn and adapt/improve. Right now it's incredibly frustrating to watch him working the whole time setting those screens, rolling to the basket, posting up, presenting himself and never getting the ball.

He's been visibly frustrated over the last couple of games and in the game against Bulls he even seemed somewhat desinterested. And that is what I fear most. The guy is doing everything he should to get some touches, they never come and at some point he can't take it no more and loses interest in playing with his teammates who never share the ball...

I don't think we're there yet, I don't think JV is giving up, but he's visibly unhappy how the offense is run and he's unhappy with his role. Things need to change and fast. It's not like we're gonna win the championship with Gay and DeRozan leading the way. So why not put in the work into improving JV's game while we find a new home for Gay or whoever it is that Masai is gonna trade sooner or later?

I'm not a pro-tanker, but I see little sense in trying to win games with this current roster. I'm not against winning and making the playoffs this year, but if it comes at the expense of JV's, Ross's improvement by sticking to this kind of crap ISO ball (especially when it's obvious this roster will get blown up sooner or later) just doesn't make sense. I mean, if you don't develop your young players and at the same time you don't plan on keeping your "star" players (Gay, DeRozan, Lowry) what is it exactly that you're trying to accomplish?

Masai must make some moves and quick or I see us failing this season in every single way, even if we were to make the playoffs.

Comment

• BadDinosaur wrote: View Post
                  As long as we have both, DeMar and Gay, on this team, JV will never get enough touches and he'll never get into any kind of rhythm (season). For a developping player with JV's potential there's nothing more important than getting regular touches and a lot of playing time.

JV should be playing 35+ minutes a game and taking 15-20 shots a game. Even (and especially) when he plays against the big frontcourts like Memphis' or Indiana, etc. He has to get the opportunities to fail, learn and adapt/improve. Right now it's incredibly frustrating to watch him working the whole time setting those screens, rolling to the basket, posting up, presenting himself and never getting the ball.

He's been visibly frustrated over the last couple of games and in the game against Bulls he even seemed somewhat desinterested. And that is what I fear most. The guy is doing everything he should to get some touches, they never come and at some point he can't take it no more and loses interest in playing with his teammates who never share the ball...

I don't think we're there yet, I don't think JV is giving up, but he's visibly unhappy how the offense is run and he's unhappy with his role. Things need to change and fast. It's not like we're gonna win the championship with Gay and DeRozan leading the way. So why not put in the work into improving JV's game while we find a new home for Gay or whoever it is that Masai is gonna trade sooner or later?

I'm not a pro-tanker, but I see little sense in trying to win games with this current roster. I'm not against winning and making the playoffs this year, but if it comes at the expense of JV's, Ross's improvement by sticking to this kind of crap ISO ball (especially when it's obvious this roster will get blown up sooner or later) just doesn't make sense. I mean, if you don't develop your young players and at the same time you don't plan on keeping your "star" players (Gay, DeRozan, Lowry) what is it exactly that you're trying to accomplish?

Masai must make some moves and quick or I see us failing this season in every single way, even if we were to make the playoffs.
                  I agree with your points.

Luckily still 72 games to be played and hopefully there will be about 55-60 when it is finally blown to smithereens.

Comment

I agree with your points.

Luckily still 72 games to be played and hopefully there will be about 55-60 when it is finally blown to smithereens.
                    But it needs to get done like right NOW. Not 50-60 games into the season.

Comment

• BadDinosaur wrote: View Post
                      But it needs to get done like right NOW. Not 50-60 games into the season.
                      I meant there will be 55-60 games left in the season; 25-30 games in; late December.

I agree with your sense of urgency but not much can be done until December 15th when free agents can be traded.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        HAHAHA This made me laugh ... one of those "its funny because its completely true" situations.

The offensive plays Casey runs could literally be picked up at a Coaching Seminar at Humber College over a weekend.
                        Oh I don't know, can you tell me, for CERTAIN, that you know exactly what he runs, how its supposed to go, etc? You know they made the term "Coach Killer" for a reason. Toronto has a few on the roster.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          JV's doing fine. He's still just a 2nd year player and his going to have some bad games pretty frequently. He actually hasn't played badly in a lot of the games, and has definitely been underutilized...

I think that's more a function of Jose having been brilliant on the pick and roll, while our current guards are brutal at it.
                          "Stop eating your sushi."
                          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I meant there will be 55-60 games left in the season; 25-30 games in; late December.

I agree with your sense of urgency but not much can be done until December 15th when free agents can be traded.
                            Alright, my bad, got it now!

Yeah, I wish we had a no nonsense coach like Popovic that would sit Gay and DeRozan after a couple bonehead shots, it would make this whole waiting thing much more interesting Can you imagine Popovich coaching our team? What a clash that would be!!! :O ...OMG...

Comment

• I do think that MU is going to blow it up after December 15th... if he trades DD/RG/KL then there is hope for JV to get some more touches but it's not a guarantee when you have a coach like Casey. What I'd prefer to see is a blow up but with Casey getting replaced by someone else who is told to develop first and win later. What if the guys we get back for Rudy and Lowry are veterans like Gordon or Butler? Would you expect Casey to feed JV when Butler/Gordon would love to have the ball in their hands (using those two as examples)?

Even Bosh who was a goal post when he came into the league averaged 9.5 FGA's a game as a rookie. JV averaged 5.9 attempts last year and is averaging 7.7 this year. That's pretty pathetic for the guy that's supposed to be the franchise.

I hope MU finds a coach that is willing to give JV the ball more often, or if he trades RG/KL or DD that shots open up for him or else when he hits RFA status it will be a big question of whether he would be worth his extension or not.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                                I do think that MU is going to blow it up after December 15th... if he trades DD/RG/KL then there is hope for JV to get some more touches but it's not a guarantee when you have a coach like Casey. What I'd prefer to see is a blow up but with Casey getting replaced by someone else who is told to develop first and win later. What if the guys we get back for Rudy and Lowry are veterans like Gordon or Butler? Would you expect Casey to feed JV when Butler/Gordon would love to have the ball in their hands (using those two as examples)?

Even Bosh who was a goal post when he came into the league averaged 9.5 FGA's a game as a rookie. JV averaged 5.9 attempts last year and is averaging 7.7 this year. That's pretty pathetic for the guy that's supposed to be the franchise.

I hope MU finds a coach that is willing to give JV the ball more often, or if he trades RG/KL or DD that shots open up for him or else when he hits RFA status it will be a big question of whether he would be worth his extension or not.
                                You waive them before March 1st so they can play with a playoff team and use the last month and a half to sign minimum deals or 10 day contracts.

Comment

Working...
                                X