Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    That $2.4M buyout is obscene. The Raps can only contribute $500K. JV is paying $1.9M to come to Toronto next year.
    I don't think there is something especially obscene about it. I'll explain it from a football perspective (soccer that is) in Europe because I know more about the salaries and transfer system, but I assume basketball in Europe is pretty much the same or at least somewhat similar.

If a club wants a player under contract with another club they need to negotiate a transfer fee; there isn't a trade system comparable to the nba system (even though sometimes a trade is part of the deal). In general the player also has to agree to the trade. You could see the transfer fee as a buy-out, but paid for by the club. (For fun: In 2009 Ronaldo changed clubs for aobut 100 million dollars; the asking price for Messi is set at about 330 million dollar (meaning they don't want to sell him...)).

It's a lot because the Raptors can only pay for 500k of it; but that's a choice of the nba, not the Lithuanian club.

In football, in Europe, a club who develops a player gets a percentage of every transfer of this player later on. This is to stop the big clubs from parasitizing (?) on the smaller clubs by letting them pay for the development from youth player to senior player and picking up all the talent without rewardings for the club which has paid for the development of this player. In Europe, unlike nba teams, (almost) all the teams, in basketbal and football, have youth training programs. These programs of course cost (a lot of) money. If all players would just leave after completing their training, a lot of those clubs would not be able to sustain these training programs. They need to profit either from the talent by having (some of) these self-trained players play in their senior team or they need to get compensation for the investments they made.

Also: this isn't anywhere near as obscene as e.g. being able to franchise tag a player meaning he can never leave on his own accord for another nba club. 2.4 million won't do the trick with that kind of rules instituted.
    Last edited by Soft Euro; Tue Mar 13, 2012, 06:20 PM.

Comment

That $2.4M buyout is obscene. The Raps can only contribute $500K. JV is paying $1.9M to come to Toronto next year.
      He looks like a simple guy, he'll get about $ 3.4M. first year so, $1.5M for him may be enoug. I'm sure his salary in Lithuania is less than a quarter of what he'll get here at the start ($1.5M).
      Last edited by japetas; Tue Mar 13, 2012, 06:22 PM.
      (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

• japetas wrote: View Post
        He looks like a simple guy, he'll get about $ 3.4M. first year so, $1.5M for him may be enoug. I'm sure his salary in Lithuania is less than a quarter of what he'll get here at the start ($1.5M).
        The buget of Lietuvos Rytas is somewhere up of 10 million I believe; I think he renegotiated his contract last year, so he might not be a lot under 1,5 now; but I'm not too sure about this as a lot of clubs don't make their salaries public (as far as I know). Probably our Lithuanian posters know more about this.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
          My guess is that Larry Tannenbaum introduces Mr Valanciunas to a prominent investment bank that perhaps Mr Tannenbaum uses, which bank will happily front Mr Valanciunas an indefinite interest free $1.9mm loan which bank will also be selected by Mr Valanciunas to manage his significant financial portfolio going forward. Something like that....
          +1

Comment

• Amortization of that sum over say a ten yr. period is about 200k/. No big deal for someone who should be a high end player/earner going forward. Besides the financial consultant anecdote mentioned above I am sure his agent/s can put their heads together and work out some form of creative payback scheme for who will be a lucrative client. And lets not forget endorsements. All in all we need not feel too badly for JV.

Comment

• Im going JVcrazy. WHY CANT NEXT SEASON START ALREADY?!
              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                Biyombo is a larger stronger Pops Mensah Bonsou
                Oh how I miss PMB )':
                The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• The buyout is virtually nothing for a guy who is poised to have huge paydays in the NBA down the road. Getting over here ASAP, even with the buyout, starts that rookie deal and allows him to be more likely to cash in big twice in North America with veteran contracts. Then you have endorsement deals. He'll be more than fine.

Comment

• japetas wrote: View Post
                    Don't forget taxes on that $3.4M. He is automatically down to $1.8M.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                      The buyout is virtually nothing for a guy who is poised to have huge paydays in the NBA down the road. Getting over here ASAP, even with the buyout, starts that rookie deal and allows him to be more likely to cash in big twice in North America with veteran contracts. Then you have endorsement deals. He'll be more than fine.
                      He'll be fine eventually I'm sure.

I am sure BC is lining up every major Canadian corporation to pimp out big V.

Comment

• With such a diverse population as Toronto there should be lots of opportunities for him the recoup some of that buyout money. I posted comments by JYD in a thread last year. Basically the idea he was expressing was all these American players seem to think that their endorsement opportunities in Toronto are limited but on the contrary, being in Toronto is an advantage, especially to those who aren't top tier stars. He went on to say that in Toronto you really have a whole country besides the U.S. to work with, as opposed to players in the U.S. mainly having strong marketing campaigns in their local city but not nationwide unless they're superstars. Basically if you're not a superstar you'll be hard pressed to find a better market for big endorsements than Toronto. Carter obviously had huge endorsement deals in Canada and everywhere but role players like JYD himself would never get the kind of off the court coin he made in Canada if he were playing for say the Pistons.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                          As Matt said many much more intelligent and informed people have said that JV is a FRANCHISE CENTER. I haven't heard anything close to that about biyombo. Biyombo is a more athletic Reggie Evans with longer arms
                          1) That is an appeal to authority

2) Bismack is proving in NBA that he is a franchise C...

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                            1) That is an appeal to authority

2) Bismack is proving in NBA that he is a franchise C...
                            What is your definition of a franchise C?

Comment

What is your definition of a franchise C?
                              Game changing C. Doesn't really have to be offensive. Unless you can say Ben Wallace wasn't a franchise C...

He has been solid for the Bobcats, too bad their team is so whack right now.

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                                Game changing C. Doesn't really have to be offensive. Unless you can say Ben Wallace wasn't a franchise C...

He has been solid for the Bobcats, too bad their team is so whack right now.
                                OK.

For me, when the tag 'franchise' is applied to any position, I think one of the elite at that position throughout the entire league.

Time will tell if either JV or Biyombo are 'franchise' anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X