2-4 FT
    8 rebounds
    1 assist
    1 block
    2 turnovers
    2 fouls
    4 fouls drawn
    Write up from L. Rytas website:

VENTSPILS, Latvia – Lietuvos Rytas have made a strong statement in moving into the Final Four, defeating Ventspils 79-69 on Monday night, to be the only team to move into the Final Four with a clean sweep record in the quarter finals.

Running out to a 13-point lead by the end of the opening quarter on the back of some wayward shooting from their hosts, the red and blacks were able to do enough to hold on over the remaining 30 minutes in a less-than-perfect performance.

Jonas Valanciunas and Mindaugas Katelynas lead the guests with 14 points apiece.

The game could not have started any worse for the hosts who hit just one-of-14 shots from the floor in the first 10 minutes with Arturs Berzins picking up their solitary five points in the opening frame.

Berzins finished the night with 11 points, just one of two Ventspils players to make it into double figures.

Gundars Vetra's team found their offensive rhythm in the second quarter but it was not enough to see them make a dent in their visitors' lead as Valanciunas' used his height under the hoop to pick up six points and two rebounds in the frame, despite sharing his time on court with Predrag Samardziski.

Going point-for-point with Lietuvos Rytas after the break, Ventspils season was going to need a late miracle if it was going to remain alive.

A pair of Jahmar Young free-throws with three-and-a-half minutes to play gave Ventspils a slight glimmer of hope as the lead was cut to eight points.

However, time was working against Ventspils as their tactic to foul heavily in the dying stages proved fruitless with Lietuvos Rytas' shooters retaining cool heads at the free-throw line.
    Box score from this game.

Video Highlights:

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Thanks for posting!

A few snips that caught my eye:
      This was the snip (or slip) that caught my eye

"The 19-year-old center has put together a tremendous season for his club, controlling the paint on both ends of the floor to help Rytas reach the 2012 Eurocup Finals. The Eurocup Rising Star Trophy recognizes the most outstanding player in the competition who was younger than 22 on July 1 of the summer before the season started. Motiejunas, who will turn 20 years on May 6, has shown maturity beyond his years, changing games on defense, while posting quite productive numbers on offense"

Is this a result of Lithuanian auto correct?

http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/eur...s/i/95958/3735

Comment

• Can someone give me a link or tell me the stats of JV in his previous seasons in the LKL? Couldn't find more than this page: http://www.lkl.lt/en/player/jonas-valanciunas/

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
          This was the snip (or slip) that caught my eye

"The 19-year-old center has put together a tremendous season for his club, controlling the paint on both ends of the floor to help Rytas reach the 2012 Eurocup Finals. The Eurocup Rising Star Trophy recognizes the most outstanding player in the competition who was younger than 22 on July 1 of the summer before the season started. Motiejunas, who will turn 20 years on May 6, has shown maturity beyond his years, changing games on defense, while posting quite productive numbers on offense"

Is this a result of Lithuanian auto correct?

http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/eur...s/i/95958/3735
          Odd mistake. You know what would be an inredible Lithuanian autocorrect function? If it could actually make Montiejunas change games on defense. We should buy that autocorrect software.

Comment

• I cant take it anymore, all this hype is freaking killing me, and its not even summer!!! Right now with everything Ive read Im convinced JV is some sort of hall-of-fame material.
            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• LKL League

L. Rytas lose to Zalgiris (minus Weems), 86-81.

JV stat line:

12 points
              5/10
              2/3
              6 rebs
              2 blk
              2 turnovers

Box score

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                L. Rytas lose to Zalgiris (minus Weems), 86-81.

JV stat line:

12 points
                5/10
                2/3
                6 rebs
                2 blk
                2 turnovers
                They downhill slide has started. I just hate it that he is starting to 'settle" for mediocre games.

:-)

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                  They downhill slide has started. I just hate it that he is starting to 'settle" for mediocre games.
                  I wouldn't go as far as to say such things... You have to look at the opponent as well which was the best Lithuanian team (champions) - Zalgiris even though they've lost Weems & Collins for good. JV's direct opponents were starting Lithuanian national team players Javtokas (C) and Jankunas (PF/C) who have literally TONS of more experience than him and are more of defensive minded players. I think the stupid stupid coach's Dzikic decision to bench him for an absurd amount of time and lack of experience made him get flustered and lose his game after a great first half (I believe 10pts & 6reb).

It's only natural that players stats might drop into the end of the season where the opponents get tougher (finals, playoffs etc.) and the team is more focused on winning and not individual performances. I'm just happy that Jonas doesn't really have BAD games. He either plays good or veryyy good. Such consistency for a 19 year old kid says a lot.

Comment

• omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
                    I wouldn't go as far as to say such things... You have to look at the opponent as well which was the best Lithuanian team (champions) - Zalgiris even though they've lost Weems & Collins for good. JV's direct opponents were starting Lithuanian national team players Javtokas (C) and Jankunas (PF/C) who have literally TONS of more experience than him and are more of defensive minded players. I think the stupid stupid coach's Dzikic decision to bench him for an absurd amount of time and lack of experience made him get flustered and lose his game after a great first half (I believe 10pts & 6reb).

It's only natural that players stats might drop into the end of the season where the opponents get tougher (finals, playoffs etc.) and the team is more focused on winning and not individual performances. I'm just happy that Jonas doesn't really have BAD games. He either plays good or veryyy good. Such consistency for a 19 year old kid says a lot.
                    Thanks, man.

Regardless of good information or bad information, it is nice to have a Lithuanian perspective. These types of comments are not available through a boxscore, write up by the team, or highlights.

Comment

• omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
                      I wouldn't go as far as to say such things...

Whoa, sorry. I thought it was obvious I was making a joke. I don't think JV is the kind of player who could dissappoint me. I believe if he has a bad game, he will only learn from it and come back stronger. I would have put a smiley in there but I believed is was so obvious I was joking I didn't need to. That's the problem with forums. Can't get conversational tone across.

Go JV

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

:-)
                        I interpreted it as a joke - the smiley face at the bottom was key, lol. Need to have a /joke function on ze forums.

Is this Rytas' first loss of the season? Seems like they've been winning everything, +1 on aggregate.

Comment

• Absinthe wrote: View Post
                          Is this Rytas' first loss of the season? Seems like they've been winning everything, +1 on aggregate.
                          Lithuanian basketball league standings so far:

REGULAR SEASON
                          1. Žalgiris 20W 1L
                          2. Lietuvos rytas 18W 4L
                          3. Rūdupis 15W 6L
                          4. Šiauliai 14W 6L

As you can see this was Rytas' 4th loss in national league this season, they've lost both times to Žalgiris, once to Rūdupis and once to Kėdainiai Triobet.

Comment

• JV finishes 3rd in MVP voting in VTB League

How was the MVP of regular season determined

Fans’ version*:
                            1. Jonas Valanciunas (Lietuvos Rytas) - 8 points (36%)
                            2. Kresimir Loncar (Khimki) - 7 points (22%)
                            3. Andrey Kirilenko (CSKA) - 6 points (14%)
                            4. Paulius Jankunas (Zalgiris) - 5 points (12%)
                            5. Semen Antonov (Nizhniy Novgorod) - 4 points (6%)
                            6. Jeremiah Massey (Lokomotiv-Kuban) - 3 points (5%)
                            7. Patrick Beverley (Spartak) - 2 points (4%)
                            8. Henry Domercant (UNICS) - 1 point (1%)

* - For the players selected by the expert council of the League from eight clubs which made their way to the playoffs of the championship.

Rating of effectiveness*:
                            1. Kresimir Loncar (Khimki) - 5 points (efficacy per game - 18.1)
                            2. Jonas Valanciunas (Lietuvos Rytas) - 4 points (16.5)
                            3. Patrick Beverley (Spartak) - 3 points (15.6)
                            4. Andrey Kirilenko (CSKA) - 2 points (15.1)
                            5. Jeremiah Massey (Lokomotiv-Kuban) - 1 point (14.8)

*- For players whose clubs made their way to the playoffs of the championship.

MVP and symbolic five of the month*:
                            1. Andrey Kirilenko (CSKA) - 4 points (4 times in the top five)
                            2. Chester Simmons (Nymburk) - 3 points (MVP 1 time + 1 in the top five)
                            3. Jonas Valanciunas (Lietuvos Rytas), Patrick Beverley (Spartak), Rawle Marshall (Astana), Michal Ignerski (Nizhniy Novgorod), Vladimir Veremeenko (UNICS) - 2 points (MVP 1 time), Kresimir Loncar (Khimki), Vitaliy Fridzon (Khimki) - 2 points (2 times in the top five).
                            4. Paulius Jankunas (Zalgiris), Jeremiah Massey (Lokomotiv-Kuban), Henry Domercant (UNICS), Adrian Abrams (Nymburk), Sandis Valters (VEF), Andrey Vorontsevich (CSKA), Yotam Halperin (Spartak), Lynn Greer (UNICS), Nenad Krstic (CSKA), Jack McClinton (Budivelnik), Oleksiy Pecherov (Azovmash), Lonniel Rush (Krasnye Krylia), Petr Samoilenko (UNICS), Courtney Sims (VEF) , Kristaps Janicenoks (VEF) - 1 point (1 in the top five).

*- For the title of MVP player gets 2 points, for getting into the symbolic five - 1 point.

Experts of VTB United League:
                            1. Andrey Kirilenko (CSKA) - 3 points
                            2. Jonas Valanciunas (Lietuvos Rytas) - 2 points
                            3. Kresimir Loncar (Khimki) - 1 point

Experts of «Sport-Express»:
                            1. Andrey Kirilenko (CSKA) - 3 points
                            2. Kresimir Loncar (Khimki) - 2 points
                            3. Patrick Beverley (Spartak) - 1 point

Results:
                            1. Andrey Kirilenko (CSKA) - 18 points
                            2. Kresimir Loncar (Khimki) - 17 points
                            3. Jonas Valanciunas (Lietuvos Rytas) - 16 points
                            4. Patrick Beverley (Spartak) - 8 points
                            5. Paulius Jankunas (Zalgiris) - 6 points
                            6. Jeremiah Massey (Lokomotiv-Kuban) - 5 points
                            7. Semen Antonov (Nizhniy Novgorod) - 4 points
                            8. Chester Simmons (Nymburk) - 3 points
                            9-13. Henry Domercant (UNICS), Vladimir Veremeenko (UNICS), Michal Ignerski (Nizhniy Novgorod/Lokomotiv-Kuban), Rawle Marshall (Astana), Vitaliy Fridzon (Khimki) - 2 points.
                            14-25. Adrian Abrams (Nymburk), Sandis Valters (VEF), Andrey Vorontsevich (CSKA), Yotam Halperin (Spartak), Lynn Greer (UNICS), Nenad Krstic (CSKA), Jack McClinton (Budivelnik), Oleksiy Pecherov (Azovmash), Lonniel Rush (Krasnye Krylia), Petr Samoilenko (UNICS), Courtney Sims (VEF) , Kristaps Janicenoks (VEF) - 1 point.

http://www.vtb-league.com/en/news/an...lar-season.htm
                            The Experts of Sport-Express rigged it!

Comment

• It was subjective imo, Russian voted for Russians, that's all.
                              Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                                It was subjective imo, Russian voted for Russians, that's all.
                                +++

It just couldn't have gone the other way. Kirilenko playing for CSKA is a really really BIG thing in Russia, a LOT of hype. So they just wanted to give him the MVP since it's probably the last time Andrey is playing for CSKA. I have no doubt it was rigged and it's bull shit. Sport Express votes are ridiculous, JV isn't even in the top3, but all the players that are play for mother fuckin' Russia. Well, it's no big deal anyway. I'm thinking Valanciunas will crush Kirilenko in the amount of NBA rings / NBA MVPs won.

Comment

Working...
                                X