Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barolt wrote: View Post

Post defenders ranked by opponent's points per possession.

But hey, let's keep believing JV is a bad defender.
    This also shows Millsap is a terrible defender, although he's actually a very good defender.

Post S is one part of defensive play only.

I'm not saying JV is a bad defender, he isn't, but he's not as good as some here try to make him out to be.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
      This also shows Millsap is a terrible defender, although he's actually a very good defender.

Post S is one part of defensive play only.

I'm not saying JV is a bad defender, he isn't, but he's not as good as some here try to make him out to be.
      Absolutely, post D is only one aspect. But it is worth pointing out that we have the best (results-wise) post defender in the league, right?
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• It's JV's PnR and help side D that he really struggles with. Most teams run PnR at the end of games.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          It's JV's PnR and help side D that he really struggles with. Most teams run PnR at the end of games.
          In 48 clutch minutes this year, JV's on-court DRTG is the best on the team at 93.4. I think he's doing OK.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            In 48 clutch minutes this year, JV's on-court DRTG is the best on the team at 93.4. I think he's doing OK.
            Pretty small sample size. Still doesn't change that he struggles with those two things. Opposing teams know it as well.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• "JV struggles on the p'n'r" is so last season. Now that he can stay at home in/near the paint, he's not nearly as exposed as he was last year when he was asked to hedge so hard, so far out on the perimeter.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• I don't think it's fair to say he "really struggles" with PnR or help defence anymore.

He's not exceptional but he has become quite passable since coming back from injury. The new system is more conservative and consistent which helps him a lot, and he's made pretty good progress in knowing where to be to deny the dump-pass while offering some resistance on the drive. Pair that with excellent post defence and it's getting hard to call him a bad defender.

What is bad on defence is leaving him out there with Scola, but that's a recurring theme with our Argentine...

Comment

Pretty small sample size. Still doesn't change that he struggles with those two things. Opposing teams know it as well.
                  What are his numbers on PnR this year? I'd like to see what they are compared to last year. Largely the defense seems much better in the PnR thanks to improved Jonas and improved perimeter D. The shots that opposing teams get are usually mid range jumpers and I can live with that.

His help side doesn't seem as bad as you make it out to be either. If anything its his guy who gets the ball and scores because there's no rotation in time, and even that's improved this year.

He doesn't play pretty defense like Biz but it sure seems effective

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                    "JV struggles on the p'n'r" is so last season. Now that he can stay at home in/near the paint, he's not nearly as exposed as he was last year when he was asked to hedge so hard, so far out on the perimeter.
                    It's not even that. It's our whole scheme and also better perimeter defending.

But has anyone noticed how BB also frequently gets exposed on the p'n'r? It's just a tough thing for a C to guard. BB is not exactly locking down the p'n'r because if you don't have secondary help coming, it matters little. A C can't singlehandedly stop a p'n'r. Need the whole team prepared to rotate.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                      "JV struggles on the p'n'r" is so last season. Now that he can stay at home in/near the paint, he's not nearly as exposed as he was last year when he was asked to hedge so hard, so far out on the perimeter.
                      His one of the worse PnR defenders in the league this year. Someone posted a stat last month. When talking about Love's D
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

It's JV's PnR and help side D that he really struggles with. Most teams run PnR at the end of games.
                        Wish Raptors were on the list of "most teams".

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          It's not even that. It's our whole scheme and also better perimeter defending.

But has anyone noticed how BB also frequently gets exposed on the p'n'r? It's just a tough thing for a C to guard. BB is not exactly locking down the p'n'r because if you don't have secondary help coming, it matters little. A C can't singlehandedly stop a p'n'r. Need the whole team prepared to rotate.
                          It'd be nice if people would actually pay attention to what happens to defences as a whole on a PnR rather than trying to pin the blame on the big man at all times. But that's my bias since I play the 5, lol.

Comment

• Jangles wrote: View Post
                            Wish Raptors were on the list of "most teams".
                            Most teams also run ISO whenever the discussion is about how bad it is for us to go ISO late in games.

Really "most teams" run whatever makes sense to defend the Raps strategy and/or throw JV under the bus.

Comment

• Bandit wrote: View Post
                              What are his numbers on PnR this year? I'd like to see what they are compared to last year. Largely the defense seems much better in the PnR thanks to improved Jonas and improved perimeter D. The shots that opposing teams get are usually mid range jumpers and I can live with that.

His help side doesn't seem as bad as you make it out to be either. If anything its his guy who gets the ball and scores because there's no rotation in time, and even that's improved this year.

He doesn't play pretty defense like Biz but it sure seems effective
                              Part of that is his size. Jonas is a fair bit bigger and occupies more space than BB. When he rotates and goes straight up, he's damn hard for the dribble penetration to shoot over/around.

I do wish JV had a more explosive vertical. When he gets the ball in traffic under the rim, it's tough for him to gather and dunk it through contact - usually tries to lay it in and loses the ball sometimes. BB can't finish very well in those situations either, too small and bad hands.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                                Most teams also run ISO whenever the discussion is about how bad it is for us to go ISO late in games.

Really "most teams" run whatever makes sense to defend the Raps strategy and/or throw JV under the bus.
                                Haha that is very true

Comment

Working...
                                X