Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KHD wrote: View Post
    ah yes, the "bulking up" discussion again.

Well, we don't really have a great history as a team as far as that's concerned.
    Our injury record is still great with McKechnie though.

Comment

• Just a guess but I think there's a correlation between JV's wrong bulk, his minutes played and effort (from staff or JV).

Has anyone ever said anything about JV being gassed/tired and that's why he doesn't get that many MPG? His minutes went down during the second season when he bulked right? And I believe he didn't have to play that many minutes for Lithuania and the Olympic team.

Is it possible he has a medical condition but staff don't want to say/hide it?

Comment

• Honestly, I feel like jv's biggest strength is his weight. Like he literally looks like a man among boys out there until Casey inevitably benches him for no reason

Like rookie Jonas was getting bullied in the post, getting bumped around on d and o, and he didn't have the strength to post up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Simplicity wrote: View Post
          Just a guess but I think there's a correlation between JV's wrong bulk, his minutes played and effort (from staff or JV).

Has anyone ever said anything about JV being gassed/tired and that's why he doesn't get that many MPG? His minutes went down during the second season when he bulked right? And I believe he didn't have to play that many minutes for Lithuania and the Olympic team.

he played 27.5 mins/game in Eurobasket. More minutes in shorter games.

So, no, i wouldn't jump to that conclusion based on no evidence.

He doesn't play because of Casey.

Comment

• yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
            Honestly, I feel like jv's biggest strength is his weight. Like he literally looks like a man among boys out there until Casey inevitably benches him for no reason

Like rookie Jonas was getting bullied in the post, getting bumped around on d and o, and he didn't have the strength to post up.

I do agree that he plays like a strong-man out there and I like it.

Comment

• Simplicity wrote: View Post
              Just a guess but I think there's a correlation between JV's wrong bulk, his minutes played and effort (from staff or JV).

It's simple. Casey doesn't trust him, and that's all it comes down to.
              "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• while we'd all love for valanciunas to be some kind of superhuman specimen who can back down anyone and contest 3s like anthony davis, that just isn't real.

Personally I like what we're seeing from his time with Jack Sikma. If he can play a little bit of that game offensively he wouldn't need so much size.

but, there are lots of ways to win in basketball and I maintain that having the biggest guy on the floor who's an excellent low post scorer can absolutely be used as a focal point to winning.

Skill-wise, JV has developed nicely IMO. He's a much more technically proficient player this year than last year. We'll see how it goes. I am not going to worry about it too much.

Comment

• Yep

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                    while we'd all love for valanciunas to be some kind of superhuman specimen who can back down anyone and contest 3s like anthony davis, that just isn't real.

Personally I like what we're seeing from his time with Jack Sikma. If he can play a little bit of that game offensively he wouldn't need so much size.

but, there are lots of ways to win in basketball and I maintain that having the biggest guy on the floor who's an excellent low post scorer can absolutely be used as a focal point to winning.

Skill-wise, JV has developed nicely IMO. He's a much more technically proficient player this year than last year. We'll see how it goes. I am not going to worry about it too much.
                    He has added some more stuff this year. On Sully he knew he had size and just did a nice pivot rocker step with a jumper. Missed it but thats a good sign.

He has shown the ability to add so many skills in such a short time that im not sorried about his work ethic

Comment

• I'm not worried either, I just dont think he has one.

Comment

Honestly, I feel like jv's biggest strength is his weight. Like he literally looks like a man among boys out there until Casey inevitably benches him for no reason

But adding strength and adding bulk are not necessarily one and the same. As has been pointed out, JV could have just added muscle, but stayed trim, like he used to be. But instead, he just added weight, which has taken away from his explosiveness, and slowed him down a lot. It would also do some good for his long term health, for his knees, ankles and feet, to lose a bit of weight.

I agree that him maintaining his "strength" is critical, but he could certainly do that while still losing weight. He doesn't need to look like 35 year old Sabonis out there to be able to hold his ground. Lol
                        Last edited by Joey; Fri Mar 25, 2016, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                          But adding strength and adding bulk are not necessarily one and the same. As has been pointed out, JV could have just added muscle, but stayed trim, like he used to be. But instead, he just added weight, which has taken away from his explosiveness, and slowed him down a lot. I agree that him maintaining his "strength" would be critical, and he could certainly do while still losing weight.
                          Yea, but jv doesn't have the body type to just be ripped, like biyombo is. It's all genetics on how some one gains muscle, and I just think jv gains size, instead of bulk.

And honestly, he's fine on the defensive end, he's not a defensive stopper, but he's at least average. And he more than makes up for it on the offensive end, but of coarse, only when he's given the chance

Comment

Yea, but jv doesn't have the body type to just be ripped, like biyombo is. It's all genetics on how some one gains muscle, and I just think jv gains size, instead of bulk.

And honestly, he's fine on the defensive end, he's not a defensive stopper, but he's at least average. And he more than makes up for it on the offensive end, but of coarse, only when he's given the chance
                            But how can you say that? He used to be slim and cut.

Work out a lot and you get muscles. Eat a lot, and get fat.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                              But adding strength and adding bulk are not necessarily one and the same. As has been pointed out, JV could have just added muscle, but stayed trim, like he used to be. But instead, he just added weight, which has taken away from his explosiveness, and slowed him down a lot.

I agree that him maintaining his "strength" is critical, but he could certainly do that while still losing weight.
                              This. Strength doesn't come from fat lol, it comes from muscle. I suppose the fat gives you extra padding but it doesn't make you a stronger player.

Anyway it's not like he can't continue to work on his body. Marc Gasol was kinda chubby initially and put in work on his body to get slimmer but maintain his strength and become more agile. Which allowed him to add some new stuff to his game like taking guys off the dribble, working from the perimeter and being more mobile defensively.

I'm a big JV supporter, but I feel like this is something he really should work on. Not only would it help his game, but it'd help him stay on the court too. Casey's main issue with him is foot speed (not his age like some people think, otherwise why is he giving Biyombo, who's the same age 42 minutes in a game). If he can improve his agility and be more mobile on defense it'll really help him earn more minutes. I'm not justifying what Casey is doing, but suggesting a way JV can just hit the override button on it.

Comment

• Everything Valanciunas

Joey wrote: View Post
                                But how can you say that? He used to be slim and cut.

Work out a lot and you get muscles. Eat a lot, and get fat.
                                I disagree on that. He used to be skinny quick. Now he's just huge, and is not fat.

And trust me, gaining muscle/fat is not that simple

Comment

Working...
                                X