Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mess wrote: View Post
    I think they hesitate because they've learned that if they don't, JV's defender will likely get around him and deflect the pass. He needs to hone his technique so there's more than a split second where the passing lane is open. But yeah, it's definitely on the passers too.
    while posting down low simply there is no such a thing as staying open for 3-4 seconds. basically ball handler must be ready to pass at the moment big guy starts taking position. as soon as big has established himself - that split second ought to be utilized.

Comment

• JV looks so much quicker and agile than before. I'm looking forward to JV vs. Whiteside in the second round, that will be the true test in how much JV has grown and if his play in the first round is just him on a hot streak.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
        JV looks so much quicker and agile than before. I'm looking forward to JV vs. Whiteside in the second round, that will be the true test in how much JV has grown and if his play in the first round is just him on a hot streak.
        Me too, but I think he can handle him. Isn't Whiteside's defensive strengths come more from help situations? I'm not sure but I think he may lack in post and one on one D. Lowry, Demar, and Cojo may have more to be concerned about with Hassan than JV will.

But JV has been so impressive lately, he looks like a very different player. Nonetheless I wouldn't expect him to dominate as much as this series, Indy is just so weak up front.

Comment

JV looks so much quicker and agile than before. I'm looking forward to JV vs. Whiteside in the second round, that will be the true test in how much JV has grown and if his play in the first round is just him on a hot streak.
          I agree, it looks like he's trimmed some of the fat, but kept a lot of the muscle, which is allowing him to just man handle those guys, and also beat them to the ball and out jump them even.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
            Me too, but I think he can handle him. Isn't Whiteside's defensive strengths come more from help situations? I'm not sure but I think he may lack in post and one on one D. Lowry, Demar, and Cojo may have more to be concerned about with Hassan than JV will.

But JV has been so impressive lately, he looks like a very different player. Nonetheless I wouldn't expect him to dominate as much as this series, Indy is just so weak up front.
            Yeah, Whiteside gives up about a point per possession in the post, in the 25th percentile (ie 75% of the league is better in post up defence than him). Meanwhile JV scores about 0.9 PPP, in the 60th percentile offensively.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              Yeah, Whiteside gives up about a point per possession in the post, in the 25th percentile (ie 75% of the league is better in post up defence than him). Meanwhile JV scores about 0.9 PPP, in the 60th percentile offensively.
              Against Miami, I'm way more concerned about our end of the floor than whether we can score. If we start Scola in that series, it's going to be a mess with him against Deng.(and, by extension, DeMar on either JJ or Wade)
              twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                Against Miami, I'm way more concerned about our end of the floor than whether we can score. If we start Scola in that series, it's going to be a mess with him against Deng.(and, by extension, DeMar on either JJ or Wade)
                Well, sure, Scola would be a disaster against them. We've been lucky with Vogel trotting out Allen this series.

But at least there's an easy counter if Casey is smart enough to use it. Carroll and Powell defending JJ and Wade, DD hiding on Deng. Easy peasy.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  Well, sure, Scola would be a disaster against them. We've been lucky with Vogel trotting out Allen this series.

But at least there's an easy counter if Casey is smart enough to use it. Carroll and Powell defending JJ and Wade, DD hiding on Deng. Easy peasy.
                  Yeah. The two keys to that series have to be Casey taking Scola out of the rotation, and then Powell/Ross giving us big minutes, because we'll need both of them.

Comment

• From David Thorpe:

For many NBA greats, the postseason is what really matters. We rank the best players so far in the playoffs: ESPN Insider's Postseason MVPs
                    The only Top 10 Raptor:

6. Jonas Valanciunas
                    Indiana clubbed Toronto in Game 1, and all of the usual doubt about the Raptors surfaced quickly. Two straight horrid postseasons will do that.

Then the Toronto center came to the rescue. He has been the most dominant rebounder in the playoffs, ever-present at the rim. His strong rolls to the basket have hurt the Pacers, as have his bruising paint plays off passes and rebounds. Valanciunas has put his stamp on the series after three games, including two straight Toronto wins.
                    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Casey needs to play Powell on Wade against the Heat. Both of them are a similar height and at this stage Powell is quicker.

Comment

Casey needs to play Powell on Wade against the Heat. Both of them are a similar height and at this stage Powell is quicker.
                        Let's not get ahead of ourselves ......

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Casey needs to play Powell on Wade against the Heat. Both of them are a similar height and at this stage Powell is quicker.
                          Eh... Powell's still a rookie, and Wade's made a fool of some of the best veteran defenders in the NBA.

Comment

Eh... Powell's still a rookie, and Wade's made a fool of some of the best veteran defenders in the NBA.
                            Powell seemed quite capable of playing great D on PG. Of course I would expect Wade to be craftier, since he doesn't have George's height advantage. But Powell should have a definite speed advantage over Wade, especially laterally.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                              Powell seemed quite capable of playing great D on PG. Of course I would expect Wade to be craftier, since he doesn't have George's height advantage. But Powell should have a definite speed advantage over Wade, especially laterally.
                              I certainly agree that it's the 'right' matchup. Lets us go Carroll on JJ and DeMar on Deng.

And all of this is pointless if Casey starts Scola in that series, because then we can't really defend anyone.

Comment

danno wrote: View Post
                                Let's not get ahead of ourselves ......

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
                                Just saying I'd rather Powell on him and Carroll on Johnson or Deng.

Powell did do a great job guarding PG who has the height advantage on him. Wade is definitely more experienced but a lot older. Wade is Wade, he'll find ways to score, but Powell at this stage of their careers has the quickness advantage. Either way I'd rather Powell guarding Wade than Carroll.
                                Last edited by A.I; Sat Apr 23, 2016, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X