Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
    Yep. An aggressive/energy center with a great free throw percentage is pretty awesome.

Anyway, what I gathered from postgame interviews, apparently coach was really dissatisfied with JV's game performance at locker room after the match. Seemed pretty odd. It probably had something to do with quick fouls and 4 turnovers.
    Aren't offensive fouls considered turnovers? If that is the case then that is where he gathered the at least 2 of his turnovers.

The coach was visibly angry after his moving screen and threw his arms at him in disgust... the only thing that makes sense is that he felt JV was being lazy and not holding the screen (he seemed to be slipping them and running over the guard a few times) or this is something that they specifically worked on with him. If this is not the case, that is some old school coaching and I hope JV doesn't lose confidence over it.

On the other hand, he did have JV out there is the last 3 minutes and he was a key factor in the win... a basket to tie the game and a huge block to stop the Brits from pulling ahead. I agree OMG, I thought he had 5 blocks as well.

I am also surprised to see the 12 point total... watching the game it looked like he had about 6 points. The 6/6 free throw shooting is a quiet way to gather points.
    Last edited by The Coach; Sun Jun 24, 2012, 10:55 AM.
    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden

Comment

• Just posting related stuff.
      The song is getting annoying though.
      Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• Jonas Valanciunas

Jonas has been the source of much angst and anticipation in Toronto for a year now and it seems his arival is finally imminent. The question is; how good is he really? Can he assume the starting C role at some point this season? Where is his ceiling as a player?

I am of the school of thought that staying in Lithuania to compete on a team full of grown men while being coached by one of Casey's former assistants was the best way for him to develop for the past 12 months. Also, he appeared to be dominant last week in Houston, as usual. Can we project him to be a future star C in this league? Casey was quoted saying he would end up being a Joakim Noah type in the worst case. Based on his motor, mobility give his size, and his excellent rebounding ability he appears to be a Tyson Chandler with a much more polished offensive game. If thrown into a starting role right now I could see him averaging 10ppg 8rpg and 1.5bpg in 27 minutes or so. And this is at 20. Imagine at 25 or 26.

Thoughts???

Comment

• jimmyhunter wrote: View Post
          Jonas has been the source of much angst and anticipation in Toronto for a year now and it seems his arival is finally imminent. The question is; how good is he really? Can he assume the starting C role at some point this season? Where is his ceiling as a player?

I am of the school of thought that staying in Lithuania to compete on a team full of grown men while being coached by one of Casey's former assistants was the best way for him to develop for the past 12 months. Also, he appeared to be dominant last week in Houston, as usual. Can we project him to be a future star C in this league? Casey was quoted saying he would end up being a Joakim Noah type in the worst case. Based on his motor, mobility give his size, and his excellent rebounding ability he appears to be a Tyson Chandler with a much more polished offensive game. If thrown into a starting role right now I could see him averaging 10ppg 8rpg and 1.5bpg in 27 minutes or so. And this is at 20. Imagine at 25 or 26.

Thoughts???
          See the very large Jonas thread already started.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Thoughts???
            To be honest, he'll definitely assume the starting C role eventually next season considering we don't really another starting center that is any better than Jonas. I think Aaron Gray (Assuming we resign him) would probably start as center for the first month or so just to ease Jonas into the NBA and then Jonas will eventually take over as the starting center. Aaron Gray would make a good back-up center. As for how he'll do, I hope he could be a 12 PPG, 9 RPG and 1.5 BPG in 25 - 30 minutes, but that might be asking for a bit too much. I'll be happy if he can put up 10 PPG, 7 RPG, and 1 BP. Although, I feel like some people might be disappointed in his performance early on because of the overhype!

Comment

• I would be happy if he avgs 10/7/1.5 blocks. People just need to chill and let the kid play. I remember people going all ape-shit when we drafted him and people really wanted knight or walker. Just try not to expect too much, he might end up
              Surpising everyone.

Comment

• Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                To be honest, he'll definitely assume the starting C role eventually next season considering we don't really another starting center that is any better than Jonas. I think Aaron Gray (Assuming we resign him) would probably start as center for the first month or so just to ease Jonas into the NBA and then Jonas will eventually take over as the starting center. Aaron Gray would make a good back-up center. As for how he'll do, I hope he could be a 12 PPG, 9 RPG and 1.5 BPG in 25 - 30 minutes, but that might be asking for a bit too much. I'll be happy if he can put up 10 PPG, 7 RPG, and 1 BP. Although, I feel like some people might be disappointed in his performance early on because of the overhype!
                Whoa, You're first hope is out to lunch man! 12/9/1.5 in 25-30 mins? Shoot, I might be happy with that in year 3! Only 16 players averaged 9 boards a game last year...

Comment

...I could see him averaging 10ppg 8rpg and 1.5bpg in 27 minutes or so. And this is at 20. Imagine at 25 or 26.

Thoughts???
                  I see him averaging 11.37 ppg, 7.7 rpg, and 1.23 bpg in 28 minutes and 24 seconds, give or take. By 26 I believe he will improve on all those numbers by exactly 81.6% +/- 2.9% 9 times out of 10.

:-)

Comment

• He's going to be awesome!! Will avg 13ppg and 8 boards in 30 mins. That's shooting over 65% from the field and 85% from the line. JV is the real deal. He will need a couple years to gain more strength and become accustomed to the league but he will be a perennial all-star in the league. Maybe starting next year? This Raptor's squad finally has a legitimate franchise player. It's been a long time coming but I can't wait to get it started!! Go Raptors!!

Comment

• Usagi_yo_Jimbo wrote: View Post
                      I would be happy if he avgs 10/7/1.5 blocks. People just need to chill and let the kid play. I remember people going all ape-shit when we drafted him and people really wanted knight or walker. Just try not to expect too much, he might end up
                      Surpising everyone.

I have to agree with you. I was one of those who wanted to draft kemba or knight but im very glad bc decided to go with JV. I think the pressure on this kid is unbelievable, everyone needs to seriously calm down about the "perennial allstar" talk he hasn't even stepped foot on a nba floor yet. Sheesh..
                      We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

• The Future has arrived

Jonas spotted in Toronto!

Anas Aziz ‏@AnasAziz_
                        Me and future @Raptors all-star, Jonas Valanciunas! I'm probably the first brown guy he met in Toronto LOL http://pic.twitter.com/kds0MGxQ
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                          Whoa, You're first hope is out to lunch man! 12/9/1.5 in 25-30 mins? Shoot, I might be happy with that in year 3! Only 16 players averaged 9 boards a game last year...
                          Just being a bit optimistic. Maybe I'm just getting too excited to see him next season

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            Jonas spotted in Toronto!
                            How did you even find that? It's awesome

Comment

• Tesla wrote: View Post
                              How did you even find that? It's awesome
                              It was retweeted to me. I'd actually like to follow a lot people on this forum @Chr1s1anL
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...as-valanciunas
                                TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Working...
                                X