Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Good point. I still don't think it's the case. At least I hope not because this wont be the last time he plays for his national team and hopefully his heathy enough to play through a full playoffs run. JV minutes mostly will go up next year. His going to be seeing a lot less rest in the upcoming years.
    Yes whatever the causes are, hopefully he learned something here and makes him a better player in the future.

Comments from his teammate and coach about taking basketball more seriously are certainly troubling, but not something we've ever heard before so it kind of adds to the air of confusion.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Jangles wrote: View Post
      Not saying jv has been good. When jv sucks, I say he sucks. I watched the second half of his game vs Spain. He wasn't good. The stats also say the rest of his Olympics were bad. Demar was also bad. What I dislike is when 1 particular poster praises Demar for good games, disappears for bad games and shits on jv for bad games and disappears for good ones.

I'm taking about both guys so it was a toss up between which thread.
      Man, Jangles I didn't know my opinion meant so much to you.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
        Yes whatever the causes are, hopefully he learned something here and makes him a better player in the future.

Comments from his teammate and coach about taking basketball more seriously are certainly troubling, but not something we've ever heard before so it kind of adds to the air of confusion.
        If were going to agree on the fact that it was a conditioning issue than wouldn't that go a long with what his coach is saying?
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

If were going to agree on the fact that it was a conditioning issue than wouldn't that go a long with what his coach is saying?
          What evidence is there that it was a conditioning issue? Everything seems to support the idea that it was a mental issue - the coach's comments, JV's comments, just watching how he was ineffective, his body language, the idea that it was burnout from a long season...
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            What evidence is there that it was a conditioning issue? Everything seems to support the idea that it was a mental issue - the coach's comments, JV's comments, just watching how he was ineffective, his body language, the idea that it was burnout from a long season...
            I don't believe the burn out story. JV is 24, missed 20 games in season and missed half of the playoffs. Where as Bogut played all the way to the finals and is much older. If this was the most games his played in a calender year than I'd believe it but, I don't think it is.
            Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Fri Aug 19, 2016, 11:52 AM.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I don't believe the burn out story. JV is 24, missed 20 games in season and missed half of the playoffs. Where as Bogut played all the way to the finals and is much older. If this was the most games his played in calender year than I'd believe but, I don't think it is.
              Burn out is a state of mind, not just physically over worked. emotionally drained.
              Last edited by BobLoblaw; Fri Aug 19, 2016, 01:01 PM. Reason: i read it later, and i wrote way too much and too complicated

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Why aren't we giving Australia and other teams more credit for how they defended JV and Lithuania, in general? It's right there in black and white....

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2016/0...as-pretty-bad/

“He and [point guard Mantas] Kalnietis were our focuses,” Australia assistant coach Luc Longley said. “We managed to get a lot of pressure on the ball early and a lot of Valanciunas’ looks come off Kalnietis. If he’s not rolling, it’s hard for Valanciunas to get rolling.”
                After hearing a quote like this from the Australian side, methinks the LIT coaching staff should also be getting a bit of heat for not making the proper adjustments. Man this sounds eerily like what happened to the Raps against the Wizards in last year's playoffs. LIT simply weren't prepared for the opposition adjustments to their style of play. Like Christian says, not having better guards, like Lowry and DD also hurts JV, if LIT wants to be successful at that style of play.

I'd love to hear how Kaslauskas would respond to being questioned on tactical adjustments, other than simply getting defensive and shifting blame to his players. Is Kaslauskas the Lithuanian Dwane Casey? lol.
                Last edited by golden; Fri Aug 19, 2016, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                  Why aren't we giving Australia and other teams more credit for how they defended JV and Lithuania, in general? It's right there in black and white....

After hearing a quote like this from the Australian side, methinks the LIT coaching staff should also be getting a bit of heat for not making the proper adjustments. Man this sounds eerily like what happened to the Raps against the Wizards in last year's playoffs. LIT simply weren't prepared for the opposition adjustments to their style of play. Like Christian says, not having better guards, like Lowry and DD also hurts JV, if LIT wants to be successful at that style of play.

I'd love to hear how Kaslauskas would respond to being questioned on tactical adjustments, other than simply getting defensive and shifting blame to his players. Is Kaslauskas the Lithuanian Dwane Casey? lol.
                  +1
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I don't believe the burn out story. JV is 24, missed 20 games in season and missed half of the playoffs. Where as Bogut played all the way to the finals and is much older. If this was the most games his played in a calender year than I'd believe it but, I don't think it is.
                    Bogut played a lot more sparingly in GSW's run and was out to prove he still was a good player. Burn out is mostly mental(physical fatigue can contribute though) and Bogut had no reason to feel burnt out riding the bench to another finals appearance (including that his body should've felt relatively good to end the season regardless of age difference) and every reason to have a fire under his ass after being traded off that team.

Just love how the fanboy who excused an entire season of shit play from Demar on a torn groin is now shitting on JV for a small stretch of bad games where his team also played like hot garbage in general, with roughly 2 months to recover physically and mentally from a very long season. And JV didn't miss half the playoffs. He carried us for half the playoffs, missed a chunk of games and came back clearly far from healthy (couldn't have been better than 60%) for the last couple of games.

Hopefully with the way qualifying has changed, NBA players will skip more summers.

Just to add on the physical side of burn out, it's not the physical fatigue, it's the mental element of being like "shit I only have a few weeks to get right before I have to go play another tournament"...it makes you mentally drained.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Aug 19, 2016, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      Bogut played a lot more sparingly in GSW's run and was out to prove he still was a good player. Burn out is mostly mental(physical fatigue can contribute though) and Bogut had no reason to feel burnt out riding the bench to another finals appearance (including that his body should've felt relatively good to end the season regardless of age difference) and every reason to have a fire under his ass after being traded off that team.

Just love how the fanboy who excused an entire season of shit play from Demar on a torn groin is now shitting on JV for a small stretch of bad games where his team also played like hot garbage in general, with roughly 2 months to recover physically and mentally from a very long season. And JV didn't miss half the playoffs. He carried us for half the playoffs, missed a chunk of games and came back clearly far from healthy (couldn't have been better than 60%) for the last couple of games.

Hopefully with the way qualifying has changed, NBA players will skip more summers.

Just to add on the physical side of burn out, it's not the physical fatigue, it's the mental element of being like "shit I only have a few weeks to get right before I have to go play another tournament"...it makes you mentally drained.

How am I criticizing JV? I said his play here will have no effect on his play in the NBA. JV just had a tough couple weeks of basketball. Just cause I don't believe in this "burn out" theory doesn't mean I'm hating on him. JV is allowed to struggle it's part of the game. You guys don't need to make an excuse for every single situation.

Also a torn groin is way worse than anything JV went through during this long grueling season where he only played 72 games in total and Bogut played 92.
                      Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Fri Aug 19, 2016, 12:51 PM.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Jangles wrote: View Post
                        Neither have I. Barolt posted a stat where every US player had a +10 net rating and Demar was at -30.
                        wasnt that based on literally 25 minutes of play or something? meh. anyway, COME ON JV WAKE UP!

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I'd like to know if Jonas' minutes and touches were down right from game 1 on as a reaction to other teams or was that LIT's strategy going into the tournament? Either way it doesn't look very good. I agree fully, no way LIT should be playing such guard-heavy ball when multiple teams in the tournament have (much) more talented guards than they do.

Did other teams not adjust and focus on Jonas last year at Eurobasket? I never watched but I would expect so.

Anyway, overall I'm not really concerned. Nearly 2.5 months before the NBA season starts & international ball doesn't really correlate to the NBA at all.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

How am I criticizing JV? I said his play here will have no effect on his play in the NBA. JV just had a tough couple weeks of basketball. Just cause I don't believe in this "burn out" theory doesn't mean I'm hating on him. JV is allowed to struggle it's part of the game. You guys don't need to make an excuse for every single situation.

Also a torn groin is way worse than anything JV went through during this long grueling season where he only played 72 games in total and Bogut played 92.
                            Yadayadayada "Jv is a bum"....blah blah blah "demar is God"

And btw, JV played 1878 minutes this year, and Bogut 1816.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              Yadayadayada "Jv is a bum"....blah blah blah "demar is God"

And btw, JV played 1878 minutes this year, and Bogut 1816.

Very mature response. Yet the player that is 8 years younger is the one burning out from playing too much basketball.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Sounds like Y'all forgot that the main reason of "burning out" is stress. + Jonas said it himself it's a mental issue. Maybe LIT's coach is banging his mom.

Everything will be okay.
                                Last edited by rocwell; Fri Aug 19, 2016, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X