No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder if we're overvaluing Kleiza's role as Jonas's "mentor". Jonas seems to have a good grasp of English already, and seems to be somewhat familiar with the ritzy lifestyle (based on Colangelo's anecdotes). Does Jonas really need a Lithuanian confidant?

Maybe Kleiza really is a trade/amnesty option?

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      isn't LK and JJ on the same level defensively despite the flashy stl/blk numbers from JJ?
      No. I'm not sure its even close. But maybe thats just me.
      Johnson has a chance to be a Top 5 Wing Defender in the League in my opinion.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        No. I'm not sure its even close. But maybe thats just me.
        Johnson has a chance to be a Top 5 Wing Defender in the League in my opinion.
        I'm talking strictly numbers.

oppPER edge goes to Kleiza at 12.4 to JJ's 14.2 and net on/off court.

82games.com

Can you be objective here with JJ a part of your fantasy roster? jk

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
          I'm talking strictly numbers.

oppPER edge goes to Kleiza at 12.4 to JJ's 14.2 and net on/off court.
          But thats only ONE number. haha I think if you look at their entire repertoire, James Johnson has far more of a chance to be impact player on the Defensive End than Kleiza. One could argue that JJ already is an impact player on that end. I would.

And you can't really say 'forget JJs fancy Blocks/Steals', because those are where-in his impact lies.
          His Steals were, for the most part, not taken to the detriment of the Team ie. straying from his man, playing lanes he shouldn't be; and Blocks are NEVER detrimental to the Team.
          On top of those numbers, he's a far better help defender.

And his shot is improving.

Can you be objective here with JJ a part of your fantasy roster? jk
          NEVER! He's a potential Keeper! haha

Comment

• JV just played 9 minutes tonight? 5 points. onwards and upwards (but between him and Kleiza combined...33 points!)

Comment

• Jclaw
              JV just played 9 minutes tonight? 5 points. onwards and upwards (but between him and Kleiza combined...33 points!)
              Yeah he had 4 fouls pretty quick. I thought at least two were good fouls where the guards blew by the defenders and he wrapped them up. 1 was a solid block attempt -- can't remember the other. He looked alright, but if you're the kid on a team where Darius Songalia(m/s?) is the third C off the bench...You are just not going to get fed the ball. Maybe against Nigeria if they can rest their key guys He'll get more burn/looks.

Kleiza was killing it in the first half. If he can keep healthy our bench just got a lot stronger.

Comment

• I think Kleiza is slowly getting back to his pre-injury shape. Naturally, he might never be completely the same, but most of it is coming back with time and practice, in my opinion.
                Last edited by omgsomuchpotential; Tue Jul 3, 2012, 10:30 PM.

Comment

• In international play Kleiza is among the very best in the world. The NBA is a different story as we know.

I feel that expectations for Valanciunas' rookie NBA year are unrealistic and to a certain extent, unfair to JV. I hope that Raptors fans will have some patience as he develops his NBA game and realizes his potential. He will struggle at times.
                  Last edited by stretch; Wed Jul 4, 2012, 12:26 AM.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    I wonder if we're overvaluing Kleiza's role as Jonas's "mentor". Jonas seems to have a good grasp of English already, and seems to be somewhat familiar with the ritzy lifestyle (based on Colangelo's anecdotes). Does Jonas really need a Lithuanian confidant?

Maybe Kleiza really is a trade/amnesty option?
                    I'd rather keep him, I like him

Comment

• yo guys last night game (prolly not night for you ) 1 quarter (uploading the rest as i write this - so check back later for the end):

Last edited by Skaloon; Wed Jul 4, 2012, 08:25 AM.

Comment

• I don't have time to watch the clips of the game, but the first to baskets by Linas are great examples of why I like him as a player.First bucket the guy is chasing him around the perimeter so Linas takes him in the post, defender tries to front him, no chance Linas just to Strong, pass over the top, 2 points. His second bucket the defender plays behind him as Linas get the ball between the wing and mid post with his back to the basket, reverse pivot, jab step, jumper, 2 more points. Great foot work and showing he can score form all over the floor.
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Thank you for posting the game clips!
                          “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• A few things from watching the game.

Linas Kleiza is a perfect hired gunner from the bench. He can score in bunches although he could be inconsistent. Having him off the bench allows him to excel at what he does best; chuck and score. His defense is not the greatest. Often times, when Venezuela ran a pick and roll and Lithuania would switch, Kleiza is left on the perimeter to guard Venezuela's ball handler (usually Vasquez). Kleiza cannot cover a quick guy & he will get blown by. Grievis Vasquez isn't the fastest athlete, but he is crafty enough to shake his man with adapt ball handling and hesitation. With that said, Kleiza's mobility has not come back fully from the injury and I really do not expect him to recover fully -- mobility, athleticism. Therefore, I see some 3's really exposing him in the perimeter. His role will be best suited as a bench spark plug. *But when his shot is on, Kleiza can put up 25.

Jonas ..... Jonas is perfect for Steve Nash. I am hoping, wishing, praying for Nash to come to Toronto. Jonas really runs down the paint after setting a screen. He attracts the defense & sucks them in, allowing for shooters in the corner / slot to get open. A point guard like Nash would be perfect, since he has the ability to make tight passes, especially the bounce pass. A one dribble bounce pass to the running Jonas for a wide open layup is more than feasible.

That is about everything Jonas did well in the game. Defensively, he shows too hard, allowing guards to split the hedge. Although he is long and mobile enough to stop a drive, by showing too hard, he allows his man to get open on the roll. When Lithuania's guards get blown by, Jonas is late and out of position to help. He does not go straight up and leaves his feet on the challenge. I guess this is where Dwane Casey comes in. Jonas needs to learn these things, understand help side rotation and learn to challenge without fouling.

Also, Jonas needs to add strength. Offensively, when he rolls to the basket and a defender meets him, Jonas loses position and gets pushed out of the box. Granted, Jonas can hold his own more than Ed Davis. But it is imperative for Jonas to add more strength and I understand it will come along as he gets older.

Offensively, Jonas didn't show much in the game. His form is good and he has a nice touch. I would think that added strength especially upper body strength will allow him to finish better around the rim. The game reminded me just how young Jonas really is. However, I like his competitiveness and enthusiasm on the court. Also, Lithuania did not really look at giving him touches in the post. Their offense mainly relied on shooting, which I expected.
                            “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• torch19 wrote: View Post
                              A few things from watching the game.

Linas Kleiza is a perfect hired gunner from the bench. He can score in bunches although he could be inconsistent. Having him off the bench allows him to excel at what he does best; chuck and score. His defense is not the greatest. Often times, when Venezuela ran a pick and roll and Lithuania would switch, Kleiza is left on the perimeter to guard Venezuela's ball handler (usually Vasquez). Kleiza cannot cover a quick guy & he will get blown by. Grievis Vasquez isn't the fastest athlete, but he is crafty enough to shake his man with adapt ball handling and hesitation. With that said, Kleiza's mobility has not come back fully from the injury and I really do not expect him to recover fully -- mobility, athleticism. Therefore, I see some 3's really exposing him in the perimeter. His role will be best suited as a bench spark plug. *But when his shot is on, Kleiza can put up 25.

Jonas ..... Jonas is perfect for Steve Nash. I am hoping, wishing, praying for Nash to come to Toronto. Jonas really runs down the paint after setting a screen. He attracts the defense & sucks them in, allowing for shooters in the corner / slot to get open. A point guard like Nash would be perfect, since he has the ability to make tight passes, especially the bounce pass. A one dribble bounce pass to the running Jonas for a wide open layup is more than feasible.

That is about everything Jonas did well in the game. Defensively, he shows too hard, allowing guards to split the hedge. Although he is long and mobile enough to stop a drive, by showing too hard, he allows his man to get open on the roll. When Lithuania's guards get blown by, Jonas is late and out of position to help. He does not go straight up and leaves his feet on the challenge. I guess this is where Dwane Casey comes in. Jonas needs to learn these things, understand help side rotation and learn to challenge without fouling.

Also, Jonas needs to add strength. Offensively, when he rolls to the basket and a defender meets him, Jonas loses position and gets pushed out of the box. Granted, Jonas can hold his own more than Ed Davis. But it is imperative for Jonas to add more strength and I understand it will come along as he gets older.

Offensively, Jonas didn't show much in the game. His form is good and he has a nice touch. I would think that added strength especially upper body strength will allow him to finish better around the rim. The game reminded me just how young Jonas really is. However, I like his competitiveness and enthusiasm on the court. Also, Lithuania did not really look at giving him touches in the post. Their offense mainly relied on shooting, which I expected.
                              Jonas should get more time next game vs Nigeria, cause that game should be easy for LT (expecting +20 win over Nigeria easily). BTW our main center Javtokas have fucked up legs (horrible motorcycle crash when he was young - shattered both of his femurs - pretty much metal instead of thigh-bones). so Javtokas get's tired quickly - Jonas should get at least 20 mins majority of the games. when he get's more comfortable with our guards - it's gonna be way better

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                                Stats?
                                FIBA page has all the stats

http://london2012.fiba.com/pages/eng...sid//game.html

Comment

Working...
                                X