Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8

Anyone got their hands on the beta yet?

Metro UI seems pretty cool and intuitive but it looks like like it's designed for tablets. Also, a sh*tload of glitches and bugs. Obv not as bad as Vista when it was still RC but honestly I can't even get Chrome tabs working properly.

I'll pass. When I moved from XP to Vista I was kicking myself the whole time I had that darn PC. I almost flattened the hard drive and installed XP back on there... Eventually, years later, I instead elected to give that laptop to my parents and went and got a new one with Windows 7. Windows 7 works well and I like it. In terms of smooth functionality, I'm not sure if it's better than XP but it's modern and XP now is prehistoric. I will not be getting Windows 8. I don't see how it will add more value to my laptop than Windows 7 and I don't see how it would improve my overall experience. I am of the opinion that Microsoft releases far too many O/S. It's all a cash grab. Thanks but no thanks. If I decide to purchase a new machine next year(my current is two years old) then I'll probably end up with Windows 8 but who knows, my current laptop is still chugging along excellently and I don't play PC games so maybe i won't need to buy one for another couple years.

I'm curious to see where tablets are going. I hate the limitations they place on them but I understand why they do the things they do. The day they offer a setup that rivals the power and storage of a quality laptop is the day I'll consider one. For now, give me a laptop any day. If I want a fancy screen to touch and browse the internet on then I have a smart phone.

Comment

havent tried it... but have been reading up on it... i generally assume MS is going to F#$& something up before they get it right (ie/ without vista, there is no win7)

all the programmer mumbo jumbo that i would never understand aside.... i dont like it.

seems really dumbed down. like an iphone version of windows. i like things simplified, but not stupified.. i can accept the stupification for a small device that fits in my pocket, but not on my PC

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
        havent tried it... but have been reading up on it... i generally assume MS is going to F#$& something up before they get it right (ie/ without vista, there is no win7)

all the programmer mumbo jumbo that i would never understand aside.... i dont like it.

seems really dumbed down. like an iphone version of windows. i like things simplified, but not stupified.. i can accept the stupification for a small device that fits in my pocket, but not on my PC
        I thought that as well, but apparently you have a choice between Classic Windows or 'Stupid' Windows.
        You can switch between the "iPhone looking desktop" and just regular "Windows 7 Classic".

Still .. I was curious about the BETA, but I can't imagine I'll bother with it. Unless I get a tablet or something.

Comment

I never mentioned Window ME. Got burned on that flaming lump a crap too.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            I never mentioned Window ME. Got burned on that flaming lump a crap too.
            Bahaha.

Ya they are pretty hit and miss.
            -95 was Epic.
            -98 was Even Better.
            -2000 was Meh.
            -ME was BRUTAL.
            -XP was Legendary.
            -Vista was BRUTAL.
            -7 is Fantastic.

Going off the up and down history, I'm guessing Windows 8 is on the 'Down'. haha

Comment

It should be brutal. I'd take Windows 3.1 over Windows ME by the way. It was that bad.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                Bahaha.

Ya they are pretty hit and miss.
                -95 was Epic.
                -98 was Even Better.
                -2000 was Meh.
                -ME was BRUTAL.
                -XP was Legendary.
                -Vista was BRUTAL.
                -7 is Fantastic.

Going off the up and down history, I'm guessing Windows 8 is on the 'Down'. haha
                Windows historically has a star trek movie track record... at best, only every other OS they release is worthwhile.

XP was a work of genius though... i feel like i was rocking it for like a good 8-9 yrs

Comment

Working...
                X