The Video Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fallout 4: First Impressions

So I made sometime for this today. I played the opening two missions and now I am in a place which allows me to start customizing a village. Here are my thoughts on the PC version so far:
    • The story, acting & presentation: An interesting idea to start off the main story. The story is good enough so far and the voice acting is much better than past entries. Interacting with characters hasn't changed at all really, but there are better voice actors now. The main character having a personality and a voice is a welcomed addition. I sometimes get a Commander Sheppard vibe from him.

I love the intro videos explaining VATS when you launch the game.

Pip boy hasn't changed. No improvements.

• Gameplay: I am still getting used to the controls of a mouse & keyboard but I am sticking with this over the controller because it feels like it was designed for it.

VATS are different now because it doesn't pause the action to let you think it over, it only slows it down. My play to date makes me wonder if I'll abandon VATS except for close quarters, high enemy count situations; the gunplay outside VATS has vastly improved.

Power armour is so much fun. Pro tip, when you get the mini gun it might be wise to hold off using it immediately. You'll be thankful you saved it for a couple minutes, trust me.

There have been a few glitches. When I entered a vault a ladies skirt blew up for a second (no complaints ). I got temporarily stuck a couple times for a split second. That's it though. No broken mechanics and the minor things I experienced can be patched and don't take away. The game is really fun and smooth to play on my PC.

• Customization: Wow this is going to be a time eater. Where to start? How about the game doesn't give you much help? It's not rocket science though. The customization is totally awesome when you think ahead to what is possible.

You get to construct your own basecamp(s)/village(s). You can collect furniture, and other items on you travels to either reuse in your village or to scrap for materials to make new things. You can even take down whole buildings, trees, mail boxes, etc and use the materials for projects.

My first need was beds for my inhabitants. I gutted a house and dedicated a room for sleeping bags for now but latter I will upgrade and perhaps give them their own places. What I do there affects their happiness which in turn affects the whole dynamic of the place. Inhabitants ask me for things and it's my choice grant it to them and where I place it. It's cool and I'm only scratching the surface. It feels like something you could invest 50 hours in alone if you have a creative side to you.

Weapon mods and armour mods are great as well. You might have five mods you can do to a weapon and within those five there might be up to five or six options. These changes affect performance. You can fine tune gear and weapons to fit your play style.

I could go on because you can also work on your power armour and cook and I'm probably forgetting other things. Basically all that stuff that you thought was junk in past FO and ES games and you didn't bother to pick up will have a use in this game. I think I'm going to loot the nearby abandoned town a few times to build up my place before I proceed with the story.

• Graphic and performance: I'm using ultra settings and the graphics are good but not top in class. You won't notice or miss it though. I have a pretty good machine I guess and I've experienced zero performance issues so far. I am satisfied so far.

Load times are minimal. From the time I launch via Steam to the point where I am controlling the character we're talking 30 seconds at the max. There aren't many instances where you load in game but when you do we're talking max 10 seconds off a SSD.

If you liked #3 and New Vegas I think you'll love this. It doesn't reinvent the wheel but it does build tremendously on the past. The customization is almost a whole game in itself. I agree with IGN, 9.5 out of 10. Maybe higher after patching, mods and DLC.

Comment

• Refusing to read the above just yet .. haven't had a chance to get in a play yet. Tonight is the night though. Lol

Apparently Codsworth (your flying Robot in the game) can pronounce something like 930 names that can choose for your player .. including Joey. He can also say things like "F*ck", "F*cker" and "Boob". Lol

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fal.../1100-6432190/

Comment

• Don't forget "F*ckface" and well known barn animal the "Cock".

Messed around with base customization some more last night. It's deep. I need to set up a fence perimeter I think. I read somewhere that raiders do attack settlements. I think the fencing could have been better as it seems tedious filling in gaps unless I'm missing something.

Comment

• Fallout 4 Continued...

Here's a GIF to give you an idea of the Fallout 4 map size:

Skyrim>Fallout 4>Fallout 3

Factor out all the unusable space in Skyrim and you're looking at a map that's around the same size.
          I messed around some more last night with my settlement. I created generators, wired three houses with electricity, setup automated turrets at my two entrances, guard posts around the walls, setup a farm and then ran out of resources do to anything else for a bit. I also dressed my settlers in raider gear I picked up in battles. I think the place is ready and now I'm going back to the story while I eagerly awaiting the eventual first attack on my place. Anyone else into the game as far as me so far?

Oh and by the way, I noticed the frames drop a little during a really hot battle. We're talking eight active raiders, my dog and me going at it with bullets flying everywhere. It didnt affect the game play.

Comment

• LOL 9 Pages of Mods already for Fallout 4 on Nexus. Love it.
            http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/searchresults/?

Nice graphic for the Map. I'm not too far at all. Played about 2 hours last night. Hoping to get some serious play this weekend.

Comment

• So I was playing last night and realized I had picked up some Molotov cocktails during a gun fight. Only thing is I can't figure out how I toss them. In fact I can't even figure out how to get to the animation where my guy would be holding it. Noobie question I know but how do you toss grenades with the keyboard and mouse?

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                So I was playing last night and realized I had picked up some Molotov cocktails during a gun fight. Only thing is I can't figure out how I toss them. In fact I can't even figure out how to get to the animation where my guy would be holding it. Noobie question I know but how do you toss grenades with the keyboard and mouse?
                On ps4 you hold the melee button, im
                assuming it's the same concept for PC?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

• So, I picked up Fallout on Wednesday and got to play some over the weekend. First impressions are good. My dog got me this kickass cryolator gun from the vault that freezes shit, which is pretty cool. Not sure how much time I'll be able to devote to it but having fun with it so far.....

Only early beef is the settlement stuff. Way too tedious. It may get better as I work with it more but having to place items and stuff. Ugh.

Comment

• fallout is so good, loving it. took work off on monday for it

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                      So, I picked up Fallout on Wednesday and got to play some over the weekend. First impressions are good. My dog got me this kickass cryolator gun from the vault that freezes shit, which is pretty cool. Not sure how much time I'll be able to devote to it but having fun with it so far.....

Only early beef is the settlement stuff. Way too tedious. It may get better as I work with it more but having to place items and stuff. Ugh.
                      i spent some time tearing everything down and clearing away fences. built watch towers all around with turrets completely surrounding the village.

i feel it was added into the game because it would have been modded in later so they gave us more tools to start with.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                        So, I picked up Fallout on Wednesday and got to play some over the weekend. First impressions are good. My dog got me this kickass cryolator gun from the vault that freezes shit, which is pretty cool. Not sure how much time I'll be able to devote to it but having fun with it so far.....

There is an exploit which allows you to generate enough caps in stores to buy all their junk which is considerable. You could use it to buy all their stuff but I only use it to purchase junk because anything else would be game breaking for me. You're right, collecting junk is tedious. Cheating to get it is a better option and doesn't impact the rest of the game.

Something I didn't initially realize, you don't need to manually break down junk. The game does it for you as you need ingredients if you place it all in your work bench.

Before I started cheating for junk I had a full fence surrounding my settlement along with water, crops and a generator. Now I have guard posts, turrets, power in most houses, a recruitment beacon and a lookout tower/guard house. My settlement now has ten people and I will add stores once I have enough caps and the right perk level.

Comment

• finally got a chance to play last night, it's definitely a big improvement over fallout 3 (never played NV) and i really dig the music. i wish the gameplay had better feel though, if that makes sense. not even necessarily the gun play, but just in general.

companions are still only good as loot mules. the UI is absolutely terrible.

but overall i'm digging it. the first bit is pretty overwhelming.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• I only use dogmeat as a companion. The little guy has blown my cover multiple times. I've gotten into the habit of "dogmeat, stay here" before busting into a close confines confrontation and "dogmeat, go there" when I want him to run a diversion route so I can snipe in the open when I have no choice but to get closer than I'd like. If I leave the little bastard to his own devices the AI is so stupid it always blows up a fight into something bigger than I'd like to face all at one time. Once he screwed me over when I was about to stealth a minigun holder and another time a raider with power armor; if you steal their power cores they exit the armor.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                              I only use dogmeat as a companion. The little guy has blown my cover multiple times. I've gotten into the habit of "dogmeat, stay here" before busting into a close confines confrontation and "dogmeat, go there" when I want him to run a diversion route so I can snipe in the open when I have no choice but to get closer than I'd like. If I leave the little bastard to his own devices the AI is so stupid it always blows up a fight into something bigger than I'd like to face all at one time. Once he screwed me over when I was about to stealth a minigun holder and another time a raider with power armor; if you steal their power cores they exit the armor.
                              Yeah, that's why I ride solo now. Much better when you don't have to worry about anyone other than who you're shooting at. Sneaking is much better

Comment

• wallz wrote: View Post
                                Yeah, that's why I ride solo now. Much better when you don't have to worry about anyone other than who you're shooting at. Sneaking is much better

me too combined with the str and chr perks for carry weight

Comment

Working...
                                X