The Video Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post
    Really? Because I just watched one and the Order is visually stunning, and they go on about how the voice acting is top notch, and the story, while poorly paced, has some great potential and really cool features. And for $10? I'd probably try it out if I had a PS4.

And with GoT, he never even says graphics "are everything" ... just that they are bad. Lol
    Like I said, I probably won't be playing, as those games aren't really my thing.
    Sure but those things have nothing to do with the gameplay. I guess it's similar to telltale games with all the QTE

Comment

• Also I agree for $10 it probably is great. Tough to rave about it and make comparisons to arguably the best ps4 franchise out

Comment

• FoxMachine wrote: View Post
        Sure but those things have nothing to do with the gameplay. I guess it's similar to telltale games with all the QTE
        Exactly. I much prefer (or I would think) the Order gameplay vs. the QTE style games of TellTale.

And the acting seems pretty good in TellTales GoT, so we'll call that a draw.

And the storytelling seems about the same .. both boring games, but neat interactive stories?

So again, if one is looking for immersion in their stories, I would think the Orders graphics and presentation get the upper hand there.

On a pure comparison of games I've never played, I'd rather try the Order. Lol

Comment

Exactly. I much prefer (or I would think) the Order gameplay vs. the QTE style games of TellTale.

And the acting seems pretty good in TellTales GoT, so we'll call that a draw.

And the storytelling seems about the same .. both boring games, but neat interactive stories?

So again, if one is looking for immersion in their stories, I would think the Orders graphics and presentation get the upper hand there.

On a pure comparison of games I've never played, I'd rather try the Order. Lol
          The order has a ton of QTE.

Well the fact that we're seriously comparing a AAA exclusive to an extremely low budget indy game says it all I guess. I actually really enjoyed the first season of the walking dead. Season two fell off a bit to me tho.

The immersion in telltale games is what makes them so good BTW. I doubt the order comes close to what they accomplish in those games.

Comment

Weird indeed right Apollo?

Don't see what you like in the order. The game looks pretty crappy to me from videos and streams I watched. The AI is terrible and it all looks pretty boring. Not one reviewer I saw stated the positives you did aside from graphics. Most seem to agree it was the biggest AAA flop of next gen so far. I believe that telltale game of thrones game is actually rated higher with its garbage graphics and basic mechanics. Whaddaya know, graphics isn't everything.
            Hey, we know you hate anything that doesn't have an Xbox logo on it. It's cool, you've established that already. We get it.
            Joey wrote: View Post
            Really? Because I just watched one and the Order is visually stunning, and they go on about how the voice acting is top notch, and the story, while poorly paced, has some great potential and really cool features. And for $10? I'd probably try it out if I had a PS4.

And with GoT, he never even says graphics "are everything" ... just that they are bad. Lol
            Like I said, I probably won't be playing, as those games aren't really my thing.
            I thought the story was paced well. It felt like a really good game, it looked like an excellent game. It was engrossing and captivating. It was great besides the campaign time. This is why it really got nailed by a lot of people, they expected more play for their $80 CAD. Honestly, the game wasn't really on my priority list but on sale for $10 who could resist? What I found was that it was a really fun ride right to the end. Oddly enough it sold really well despite the reviews so there ya go, we're getting a sequel.

The gun play is great as well. Joey, you'd love the weapons. In the story a young Tesla works for The Order designing high tech. You enter his lab and review weapons with him before heading out on your second mission and it reminded me of a Bond & Q scene. It's worth looking up the Thermite Gun. I wish there was a Fallout 4 mod for it.

Finally, here's a little snippet from an article discussing an unusual divide between the critics and the gamer scores:
            In conclusion, and to answer Mark Serrels’s question, rather than just some, the majority of people seem to be enjoying The Order: 1886, it appears to be an underrated game with significantly more gamers rating the game positively than critics. It should be noted that these cases are exceptions to the norm, most of the time critics and Users rate games similarly. However, metascores from metacritic are the weighted average score from a relatively small number of people, if you find yourself questioning a review score I would advise reading widely and gathering a reasonable number of opinions before deciding to purchase a game. You may save yourself from missing a game that you love or buying a game that disappoints.
            http://www.fromascientist.com/gaming...is-underrated/

Comment

Thanks for pointing this out. You're right, I didn't say that but the graphics are really bad in that one. It was another game I got on sale and I'm in episode two now and starting to accept those muddy graphics.

I would have never given a Telltale game a chance if not for the fact that I received Walking Dead 1 & 2 for free via PS+ membership. They're essentially point and click adventures reminiscent of the 90's on PC. The comic strip graphics work well in those and I enjoyed both games and enjoyed seeing how my actions influence what came next. Still, the only reason I bought GOT was because of a really good sale and the fact that I like the GOT HBO series.

And Fox, no one compared GOT to The Order. I mentioned both in the same post because those were the last two games I've played. You jump to conclusions rather fast, no? Those two games are nothing alike but it's clear The Order is the better experience and it's not close.

Comment

• Not true at all I just think you're overhyping a crappy game is all. I'm actually looking for reasons to buy the ps4. I'm a gamer. I'm definitely jealous of the Nathan drake collection, been wanting to play that for a long time. But there just isn't enough else that interests me enough to buy the console. I'm sure eventually there will be tho and I will buy it.

Comment

Not true at all I just think you're overhyping a crappy game is all. I'm actually looking for reasons to buy the ps4. I'm a gamer. I'm definitely jealous of the Nathan drake collection, been wanting to play that for a long time. But there just isn't enough else that interests me enough to buy the console. I'm sure eventually there will be tho and I will buy it.
                  Sorry this was supposed to be quoting your comment about the Xbox logo lol

Comment

• I'm not hyping anything. I'm using the video game thread to share my actual experience playing a video game. That's what this thread is for and I should know seeing how I started the thing.

If I were to get a PS4 now it would be because of PSVR. That's the big draw coming up beyond all the exclusives slated for this year. If not for that I'd hold tight and see what this Nintendo NX is going to be. Who knows maybe they have something in development as original and fun as the Wii was long ago.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                      I'm not hyping anything. I'm using the video game thread to share my actual experience playing a video game. That's what this thread is for and I should know seeing how I started the thing.

If I were to get a PS4 now it would be because of PSVR. That's the big draw coming up beyond all the exclusives slated for this year. If not for that I'd hold tight and see what this Nintendo NX is going to be. Who knows maybe they have something in development as original and fun as the Wii was long ago.
                      Yeah I've heard pros and cons about all of the different VR sets coming out. This is not something I'm gonna be getting right outta the gate. I'm gonna wait it out till the kinks get worked out and see which one has the best content and works well

Comment

• I'm waiting until next year. With new tech typically the defining games don't launch until later. Plus I want to see who has the better offering Sony or Valve(HTC's Steam supported rig). Oculus seems dead on arrival by my assessment because they've priced themselves outside what most are willing to spend on what is viewed as an accessory. Finally I want to try one and make sure it works for me.

Comment

I'm waiting until next year. With new tech typically the defining games don't launch until later. Plus I want to see who has the better offering Sony or Valve(HTC's Steam supported rig). Oculus seems dead on arrival by my assessment because they've priced themselves outside what most are willing to spend on what is viewed as an accessory. Finally I want to try one and make sure it works for me.
                          Yeah I agree the price is ridiculous but alot of people are saying it will have the most content and the tech is best. Will have to find where I read that, been a while. I read that valve is nice but will have the least content. And Sony no doubt will have a ton of content but I read the tech isn't the same quality as the others but it does have some unique features.

Comment

• Lesser tech probably means lower price. If they can undercut Oculus by $200 that will be a death blow. Also keep in mind the other two are for PC and thus do not face the same hardware limitations.

Comment

Lesser tech probably means lower price. If they can undercut Oculus by $200 that will be a death blow. Also keep in mind the other two are for PC and thus do not face the same hardware limitations.
                              True, just have to wait and see.

Comment

• the order is hilariously terrible and boring
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X