No announcement yet.

The Video Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting. i'm only interested in it if you can play strictly solo.

how was the gunplay/controls? i always find ubisoft games kind of hollow.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
      interesting. i'm only interested in it if you can play strictly solo.

how was the gunplay/controls? i always find ubisoft games kind of hollow.
      The controls worked great in my opinion aside from a couple instances where I was taking cover from a raised position and trying to shoot someone down below and the camera angle had me shooting into the cover. It wasn't common but extremely annoying when it happened.

When I started the game I hated the guns. But I quickly realized there's a ton of customization's for the guns and once u beef them up they are pretty badass. Even the attachments have multiple levels and different benefits. So not only are u trying find higher level guns but also higher level attachments with the specific benefits u want.

I played the dark zone with one teammate and also many hours solo. We only played the low level dark zone areas in the beta and while it was beneficial to have a teammate I was still able to do what I wanted to do to get loot solo. I just avoided rogue teams of 4. You can take down the pve groups in the dark zone solo still. Just takes longer obviously.

One of my concerns before the beta was that there would be super high-level players waiting by extraction zones to rob low level people but that's not how it works. There are server brackets that only allow u to enter a dark zone against other players that are at or near your level. So a level 5 can't play with a level 20 for example unless a lower level player is playing with a friend who is high level. Also there are multiple extraction zones all over so if u go to one and see rogue players or suspicious players then go to another extraction zone.

Comment

• Also the game is a lot of fun even without the dark zone. It has a full story and interesting open world. I only played two missions in the beta but I spent an entire day exploring the small open world section they allowed us to play in the beta before even stepping into the dark zone. I had alot of fun playing solo but I will say the game is great coop and probably has more value if u have friends to play with.

Comment

• awesome. the multiplayer leveling makes a ton of sense and i never really understood why other games didn't feature it in some shape or form. i'm pretty well sold on it now. thanks for the info man.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Wow we thought the oculus was expensive at $600. The HTC valve will retail for $800.

Comment

• FoxMachine wrote: View Post
              Wow we thought the oculus was expensive at $600. The HTC valve will retail for $800.
              Vive

Comment

• That's small time. HoloLens launches in March and retails for $3000 USD. It sounds like Microsoft's offering is more advanced than the rest though its still courting devs with stuff like this:

Fragments puts gamers in the middle of an augmented reality crime drama that unfolds in their living room. Players are able to investigate clues and solve crimes by interacting with characters that sit on their couch and talk directly to them.

“As a holographic platform highlight, Fragments demonstrates how creators can build characters and storylines that drive a higher level of emotional engagement and attachment than you can with any other medium,” Tsunoda wrote. “Fragments blends the line between the digital world and the real world more than any other experience we built. When your living room has been used as the set for a story, it generates memories for you of what digitally happened in your space like it was real. It is an experience that bridges the uncanny valley of your mind and delivers a new form of storytelling like never before.”
                Young Conker takes the popular squirrel created by Microsoft-owned developer Rare off platform gaming and and into the real world. Developed by Asobo Studios (which also worked with Microsoft on Fragments), the game changes based on what environment the gamer is playing in.

“This means every person gets a unique gameplay experience, since each gamer’s real world environment is unique,” Tsunoda wrote. “It is amazing how different the play experience feels based on playing the game in your living room versus your kitchen or your bedroom. Even starting the game from a different position in a single room creates an entirely new gameplay dynamic.”
                RoboRaid is a first-person shooter that has invading aliens literally ripping through the walls of the room you’re in. You use the Clicker to shoot at the waves of alien robots as they fly into the room shooting lasers.

RoboRaid uses spatial sound as a gameplay feature, alerting gamers which direction to turn when they hear the wall crumbling. Tsunoda wrote that this game highlights how to use gaze, gesture, and voice input in a fast and frenetic gameplay experience. RoboRaid was created by a team of eight people over the course of 12 weeks at Microsoft.
                Several non-gaming apps included with HoloLens will help developers, including HoloStudio, which Tsunoda wrote will allow developers to easily create 3D in 3D—at real-world scale. This app also teaches developers how to use the HoloLens interaction model of gaze, gesture, and voice within games and other applications.

The Development Edition also runs an enhanced version of Skype, which allows people running Skype on any Windows device to interact in the holographic world. Tsunoda wrote that this application shows how holograms can be used for remote collaboration and training in a way previously impossible.
                Rounding out the non-gaming apps is HoloTour, which offers users 360-degree panoramic displays of places like Rome and Machu Picchu. HoloTour allows users to actually walk around locations like Rome’s city streets complete with 3D sound to create the illusion that one’s there.
                http://fortune.com/2016/02/29/micros...ns-games-apps/

The minute 2k or EA can release a compelling sports title in VR is the moment I sign on to on of these headgears. So probably a couple years.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                  That's small time. HoloLens launches in March and retails for $3000 USD. It sounds like Microsoft's offering is more advanced than the rest though its still courting devs with stuff like this:

http://fortune.com/2016/02/29/micros...ns-games-apps/

The minute 2k or EA can release a compelling sports title in VR is the moment I sign on to on of these headgears. So probably a couple years.
                  Yeah I'm not sure how the holo lens will turn out tho anyone who's used it have great things to say. It's still a mystery to me. I'm sure it will have some great advantages unrelated to gaming as well but that is difficult to market. Well, anything at that price is difficult to market lol.

Gonna be a long while before I ever consider buying headgear as well but would be cool to try them out somewhere sometime.

Comment

• That's the commercial unit though, pretty much the Dev kit. When it comes to the masses it will be much more affordable I'd imagine.

I think HoloLens has more of a traditional PC vibe about it (ie: designed to be utilized by enterprise, and additionally it's powerful enough to deliver some great gaming experiences. I'd wager to guess Microsoft is banking on one day you'll have your keyboard, your mouse, your monitor and your HoloLens which can render the other three obsolete at times.

I could see gaming Developers utilizing HoloLens to make games for other platforms as well for example. Pretty cool stuff.

Comment

• xcom 2 is great. really enjoying it

Comment

• Are you in a race to beat the clock like #1? I loved the first one but my only complaint was you were pushed forward too fast and if you didn't follow that urgency countries started dropping out, like they could defend a alien invasion threat on their own... They only called in my kick ass squad because they were feeling lazy on that particular day.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                          Are you in a race to beat the clock like #1? I loved the first one but my only complaint was you were pushed forward too fast and if you didn't follow that urgency countries started dropping out, like they could defend a alien invasion threat on their own... They only called in my kick ass squad because they were feeling lazy on that particular day.
                          there are some timed by turns missions. but not really. the advent have counter offensives that usually finish in a particular amount of days and if you want to fight them you can or you can ignore them and there is a minor penalty. for example the last one i did was that the advent were attacking our communications stations and if i didn't defend them i would have a one month penalty of double time to unlock other stations. in the story the aliens won the first war and we are basically terrorists now trying to win back the world.

youtube xcom 2 part 1. that guy is really good at the game and can show everything better than i could explain it. very challenging, thoughtful and enjoyable.

Comment

• The new hitman game looks quite good

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              The new hitman game looks quite good
                              Love the hitman games. Kinda weary about them releasing the game episodically tho...

Comment

• I hate episodic games. If I'm interested in something like that I just wait for the complete edition and probably also save a few bucks along the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X