No announcement yet.

The Video Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The products are out, the reviews are in, so we now ask, who's the winner?

Well, here at CNET, the answer today is the PlayStation 4, though not by much. Both products received 3.5 stars from our reviewer Jeff Bakalar. However, the PS4 received the higher overall score, beating the Xbox One 7.5 to 7.0 in our expanded ratings system (if you didn't know we had an expanded ratings system, roll your cursor over the stars and you'll see what I mean).

That 3.5 stars is a pretty good score -- and we think both systems have a lot of commendable features and strong specs -- but it also reflects a feeling around the office that there isn't a tremendous urgency to run out and buy either console in their current unfinished states.

Still, we didn't arbitrarily award the PS4 an edge in the ratings. We had our reasons and for those of you who don't have the time -- or the attention span -- to read through a couple of very long reviews, here's a more condensed version of why the PS4 ended up with the higher marks.
    http://m.cnet.com/news/ps4-vs-xbox-o.../57613055?ds=1

Comment

• PS4 vs. Xbox One: Which console is faster?
      So, you’ve watched the video and seen the figures. Unfortunately, there’s no clear answer on which console is faster. It is clear that the PS4 boots up considerably faster than the Xbox One, both from standby and from complete power-down. Beyond that, there isn’t a huge difference either way. The PS4 appears to install games more quickly than the Xbox One (a finding borne out by by figures published by other publications), and the Xbox appears to load games more quickly, but it’s hard to give a definitive answer without further comparative testing.

It’s cliched, but the the consoles are so close overall that your best bet is probably to buy whichever console has the games or features that you most want. If you turn your console off a lot (for some reason), the PS4 will save you a lot of time in the long run. If it turns out that the Xbox One is about 20% faster at loading games across the board, then that’s obviously a huge time saving over a few years of use. But in general, go for the console with the most desirable games and features.
      http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/17...s-faster-video

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
        Lol the Xbox turns on and is at the dashboard before my tv is even finished turning on so that is kind of null, plus the Xbox turns my tv on for me lol. I'm on my phone right now and too lazy to find all the articles that I've read that state the clear winner as far as games go is Xbox but I feel like the majority of sites say that so it shouldn't be hard to find. Aside from games already mentioned, who doesn't want to check out titanfall or quantum break?? There's literally no exclusive on PS that entices me aside from infamous and uncharted. However, that's a preference thing and people like the games they like so it's all good.

Comment

• Meh, when I plan to buy (when bundles are offered in 2014) there will be a bunch more games out there for the PS4. Some of their launch games got delayed.

I'm a happy Vita owner, I also have family and so sharing the TV with my wife is a daily thing. I will be able to play all my PS4 games on my Vita from day one. That appeals to me a great deal, even more so than the 100 or so games Sony gives me every year as a PS+ member.

The Vita will also be able to be used as a second controller if I'm not mistaken. They're even going to bundle a Vita with a PS4 in the future. Looks like Sony plans to bite into Nintendo's gameplan as well.

Comment

• FoxMachine wrote: View Post
            Lol the Xbox turns on and is at the dashboard before my tv is even finished turning on so that is kind of null, plus the Xbox turns my tv on for me lol. I'm on my phone right now and too lazy to find all the articles that I've read that state the clear winner as far as games go is Xbox but I feel like the majority of sites say that so it shouldn't be hard to find. Aside from games already mentioned, who doesn't want to check out titanfall or quantum break?? There's literally no exclusive on PS that entices me aside from infamous and uncharted. However, that's a preference thing and people like the games they like so it's all good.
            No offense man but you're completely talking out of your ass here. The PS4 boots up considerably faster than the xbox one. Xbox one isn't even really a gaming console, its an all in one entertainment system. Microsoft doesn't give a crap about its customers they only want your money, remember when they said they were putting a trade lock on the games? so you can't lend your games to a friend or trade them. They had to remove that because they were getting shitted on by everyone and they were losing customers. Playstation has always had better exclusives than xbox, there may be more now but Playstation will come out with way more. Plus, all the Xbone exclusives are new franchises while the PS4 has tons of already established franchises that have produced many ground breaking games. Also as Apollo said, a few of the PS4 exclusives have been delayed.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              Its getting exclusive content now that PS4 has come in.

Anyway, I don't think either side is that much stronger than the other when it comes to Exclusive Games. Microsoft has Gears of War, Halo, Forza (which IS a fantastic series), Fable for the RPG lovers, L4D, Ninja Gaiden etc. Those games are no slouch. Plus all of the Kinect games which were quite successful for Microsoft if I'm not mistaken.

I think it has to come down to Hardware, and XBox has some pretty impressive hardware in the XBone.

This all coming from a guy with a PS3 and never owned an Xbox.
              It doesn't compare to Gran Turismo, like at all. Its not even close

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                No offense man but you're completely talking out of your ass here. The PS4 boots up considerably faster than the xbox one. Xbox one isn't even really a gaming console, its an all in one entertainment system. Microsoft doesn't give a crap about its customers they only want your money, remember when they said they were putting a trade lock on the games? so you can't lend your games to a friend or trade them. They had to remove that because they were getting shitted on by everyone and they were losing customers. Playstation has always had better exclusives than xbox, there may be more now but Playstation will come out with way more. Plus, all the Xbone exclusives are new franchises while the PS4 has tons of already established franchises that have produced many ground breaking games. Also as Apollo said, a few of the PS4 exclusives have been delayed.
                Lol No one is talking out of their ass here. Fox made a very educated argument, and backed everything up with facts.
                Please don't dismiss it with "you're completely talking out of your ass". Bad form.
                It feels like you're a little too "fanboy" about PS4...just saying.

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                It doesn't compare to Gran Turismo, like at all. Its not even close
                Completely disagree. Forza is a great franchise.
                GT is obviously fantastic, and I've played them all alot, but you can't say Forza doesn't compare, when it obviously does. Graphically, Forza for XBone looks amazing.

Comment

no offense taken. I hope you don't take offense when I point out that you are talking out of your ass either. First of all, I didn't say anything about how fast the PS4 boots up. All I said was the Xbox boots up faster than my TV, its literally only a few seconds, so you're not saving any time as the above article tries to imply.

The Xbox one is first and foremost a gaming console and handles games much better than PS does. You cant even deny that online gameplay is a hundred percent better on xbox. PS still cant even play certain games online while the xbox is having no issues. And as I pointed out before, the frame rate and lag is considerably worse on playstation. the fact that the xbox can do considerably more than the PS on top of that is gravy and kind of funny to hear people putting it down.

As far as MS not giving a crap about customers, how about we talk about how when PS4's were having problems and Sony came out and said to their customers that they have no idea what the problem is but they will work to fix it. When Xbox ones reported problems, MS came out right away and said they will immediately send replacement Xbox's to the customers having problems.

Also, they actually WERE allowing people to lend games to friends and they were making it EASIER, u could select 10 people on your friends list to lend the game to digitally so you wouldn't even have to give them a disk and they could just download it. They were and are still planning to provide a service so that you can trade in digital games for money that you can put towards new games just like eb games. People were afraid of the idea so MS LISTENED to their customers and changed it back to the way it was.. Clearly they care about their customers.

New franchises are what people want!!! I don't know about you but im sick and tired of regurgitated games coming out every year like AC and COD. Xbox one has more new franchises and more exclusives, and imo better exclusives.

sorry man but you're talking out of your ass here.
                  Last edited by Machine; Sun Nov 24, 2013, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• Right, when Microsoft has a problem they can't fix they give their customers the run around for years, making them send it back for repairs multiple times for the exact same problem(RROD).

I can tell you I spent many hours messing around with Microsoft on the phone and all they ever offered me was a cheap bargain bin game (once) for my troubles. Fast forward to now, maybe you should be concerned that they're immediately admitting hardware problems? That's what it must be because they're not going to write off $500 consoles if a software update will resolve the issue.

Launches have bugs, that's life, but from what I read it doesn't sound like Sony is dealing with hardware problems but instead a software problem. That can be fixed with firmware update. It would make no sense to swap out a unit because of a bug in the software, the next one could end up causing the same issue.

Comment

no offense taken. I hope you don't take offense when I point out that you are talking out of your ass either. First of all, I didn't say anything about how fast the PS4 boots up. All I said was the Xbox boots up faster than my TV, its literally only a few seconds, so you're not saving any time as the above article tries to imply.

The Xbox one is first and foremost a gaming console and handles games much better than PS does. You cant even deny that online gameplay is a hundred percent better on xbox. PS still cant even play certain games online while the xbox is having no issues. And as I pointed out before, the frame rate and lag is considerably worse on playstation. the fact that the xbox can do considerably more than the PS on top of that is gravy and kind of funny to hear people putting it down.

As far as MS not giving a crap about customers, how about we talk about how when PS4's were having problems and Sony came out and said to their customers that they have no idea what the problem is but they will work to fix it. When Xbox ones reported problems, MS came out right away and said they will immediately send replacement Xbox's to the customers having problems.

Also, they actually WERE allowing people to lend games to friends and they were making it EASIER, u could select 10 people on your friends list to lend the game to digitally so you wouldn't even have to give them a disk and they could just download it. They were and are still planning to provide a service so that you can trade in digital games for money that you can put towards new games just like eb games. People were afraid of the idea so MS LISTENED to their customers and changed it back to the way it was.. Clearly they care about their customers.

New franchises are what people want!!! I don't know about you but im sick and tired of regurgitated games coming out every year like AC and COD. Xbox one has more new franchises and more exclusives, and imo better exclusives.

sorry man but you're talking out of your ass here.
                      Xbox one runs games about the same at PS4. The PS4 exclusives run very well as a matter of fact, especially Killzone: Shadow fall.
                      Killzone is by far the best-looking on either platform running at a silky smooth 60fps
                      http://ca.eonline.com/news/484259/co...-playstation-4

Also Microsoft obviously had to change their ways for the customers or else they wouldn't make money lol. Do you really think they care about customers? they did it to save their ass's.

Anyway, this is all based off opinion. IMO the PS4 will be the better GAMING console at the end of the day. XBone is being advertised as an "all in one entertainment system"
                      Last edited by NoPropsneeded; Sun Nov 24, 2013, 10:48 PM.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Right, when Microsoft has a problem they can't fix they give their customers the run around for years, making them send it back for repairs multiple times for the exact same problem(RROD).

I can tell you I spent many hours messing around with Microsoft on the phone and all they ever offered me was a cheap bargain bin game (once) for my troubles. Fast forward to now, maybe you should be concerned that they're immediately admitting hardware problems? That's what it must be because they're not going to write off $500 consoles if a software update will resolve the issue.

Launches have bugs, that's life, but from what I read it doesn't sound like Sony is dealing with hardware problems but instead a software problem. That can be fixed with firmware update. It would make no sense to swap out a unit because of a bug in the software, the next one could end up causing the same issue.

A faulty hdmi port sounds like a ps4 hardware problem and that was clear from the night of the launch, plus apparently something was wrong with blueray drives too but not sure if that was hardware or not, but yes they are known to have bugs in their software so all in all not so good.

I hear you about the RROD, thankfully my 360 never had that problem, I still have one of the old big white 360's and it still runs like new. But MS learned from their mistakes, this xbox doesn't even get warm, its actually cool on the sides and ive been running it non-stop. Microsoft built it big for a reason and have a ton of vents and massive fans so it will never overheat. Sony, on the other hand, built their power brick inside the machine, built it small with barely any vents, so there's definitely a concern that it will have overheating issues.
                        Last edited by Machine; Sun Nov 24, 2013, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Xbox one runs games about the same at PS4. The PS4 exclusives run very well as a matter of fact, especially Killzone: Shadow fall.

http://ca.eonline.com/news/484259/co...-playstation-4

Also Microsoft obviously had to change their ways for the customers or else they wouldn't make money lol. Do you really think they care about customers? they did it to save their ass's.

Anyway, this is all based off opinion. IMO the PS4 will be the better GAMING console at the end of the day. XBone is being advertised as an "all in one entertainment system"
                          Didn't kill zone get the worst gameplay ratings out of any AAA launch release aside from Knack, their other big launch game which got even worse ratings? Killzone looks great but is a crappy game, even ryse turned out to be a fun game to play and probably has better graphics.. the highest rated PS4 game was a game called "Flower" which is some indy game that could have been on PS3
                          Last edited by Machine; Sun Nov 24, 2013, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Didn't kill zone get the worst gameplay ratings out of any AAA launch release aside from Knack, their other big launch game which got even worse ratings? Killzone looks great but is a crappy game, even ryse turned out to be a fun game to play and probably has better graphics.. the highest rated PS4 game was a game called "Flower" which is some indy game that could have been on PS3
                            Where are you getting all these ratings from? Killzone got an average rating of like 7.5/10 which isn't bad for a launch title on a brand new console. Forza has around the same rating and same with Dead Rising 3. Ryse on the other hand has a rating of like 6/10...

Comment

A faulty hdmi port sounds like a ps4 hardware problem and that was clear from the night of the launch, plus apparently something was wrong with blueray drives too but not sure if that was hardware or not, but yes they are known to have bugs in their software so all in all not so good.

I hear you about the RROD, thankfully my 360 never had that problem, I still have one of the old big white 360's and it still runs like new. But MS learned from their mistakes, this xbox doesn't even get warm, its actually cool on the sides and ive been running it non-stop. Microsoft built it big for a reason and have a ton of vents and massive fans so it will never overheat. Sony, on the other hand, built their power brick inside the machine, built it small with barely any vents, so there's definitely a concern that it will have overheating issues.
                              Xbox one has disk drive issues as well. So Its not only the PS4 that has hardware problems. Its expected with most new consoles, like i said before. It happened with last gen (RROD, YLOD) and its happening now.

Comment

Where are you getting all these ratings from? Killzone got an average rating of like 7.5/10 which isn't bad for a launch title on a brand new console. Forza has around the same rating and same with Dead Rising 3. Ryse on the other hand has a rating of like 6/10...
                                Well, a quick three minute investigation reveals the game has an average rating of 73%. That would rank it third place if it were an Xbone game(it's ranked 8th best for the PS4); all based on gamerankings.com.

That said, it's early. You guys are trying to have a console pissing contest and you haven't even touched your belts yet ha, ha... The games are coming for both. This is why I don't own either yet. No incentive.

Comment

Working...
                                X