Happy iPhone Upgrade Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy iPhone Upgrade Day!

Not sure how many of you guys are iPhone users, but today is a big day. iOS5 comes out, and it's going to change the iPhone completely. Very excited.

Cruise one over to Apple.ca for a full list of the 250+ features they're adding.

I'm going to pass. My iphone 4 does everything I need.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      Pass on a free Upgrade? Fair enough.
      I mean, my 4 does everything I need as well .. but it will now be able to do everything I need even easier.

I mostly just love being able to use the Volume-Up button to snap pictures like a real camera.
      And the new notification screen.
      Annd the Wireless PC-Free Syncing.

There's a few others. I'm pumped.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        He's talking about the software upgrade, not the hardware.

I actually JUST upgraded to 4.3... lol.. a little behind the times..

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          Pass on a free Upgrade? Fair enough.
          I mean, my 4 does everything I need as well .. but it will now be able to do everything I need even easier.

I mostly just love being able to use the Volume-Up button to snap pictures like a real camera.
          And the new notification screen.
          Annd the Wireless PC-Free Syncing.

There's a few others. I'm pumped.
          No, I'm passing on the iPhone 5. I thought that would be clear seeing how you said in your first post that the iPhone 5 is coming out... Unless I'm missing something here. Are they upgrading iPhone 4's to 5's somehow through a software upgrade? Help me get in the loop here Joey.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
            He's talking about the software upgrade, not the hardware.

I actually JUST upgraded to 4.3... lol.. a little behind the times..
            Ah true enough, I didn't realize how that could have been misinterpreted. Thanks Heinz.

Annd ya me too! I didn't know they released 4.3.5 until a couple days ago.
            Still 5.0.0 will be a nice change. It's like getting a new phone! (if you haven't already Jailbroken your phone. Pretty sure all of the new features were available by jailbreaking anyway.)

Comment

Ah true enough, I didn't realize how that could have been misinterpreted. Thanks Heinz.

Annd ya me too! I didn't know they released 4.3.5 until a couple days ago.
              Still 5.0.0 will be a nice change. It's like getting a new phone! (if you haven't already Jailbroken your phone. Pretty sure all of the new features were available by jailbreaking anyway.)
              i jailbroke ages ago... back on iOS 3.. but found that for all the good it did, the bad far outweighed it.. when jailbroken, my phone was crashing at least once a week... since i went back to factory default, it's happened ONCE... and that was yesterday, thanks to the awful new facebook app update

but i do miss free apps... downloading torrents directly to my phone... accessing my home computer through VPN.. accessing CCTV cameras all around the world.........

frig... i should probably jailbreak again

Comment

so i upgraded last night..

at first i was horribly underwhelmed... it looked the same plus a few extra bells and whistles..

but after playing around with it for a day... im extremely impressed.. the small improvements and tweaks are what did it..

everyone is talking up iMessage like its the new BBM.... but its NOT... not at all... its integrated into the already existing messages.app and basically what it does is when you send a text, it scans the phone number/apple id of the person to see if they'tre on iOS 5, and if they are... its sent via 3g or wifi instead of as a text message... its alot smaller deal than people make it out to be, but pretty awesome anyways

the tweaks to the camera are awesome.. accessing it from the lock screen, on screen grid, using the volume button to take a pic, minor image editing... all little things, but make the process of using the phone so much more friendly

the notification centre is awesome.... but clearly an android rip-off... so im not giving them any credit

wireless syncing... makes life so much easier....

twitter integration in damn near everything

going to screw around with iCloud tonight... im not completely sold on it yet

the 3-4 hour upgrade time because of the slow ass apple servers was friggin painful though
                Last edited by heinz57; Thu Oct 13, 2011, 04:44 PM.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                  so i upgraded last night..

at first i was horribly underwhelmed... it looked the same plus a few extra bells and whistles..

but after playing around with it for a day... im extremely impressed.. the small improvements and tweaks are what did it..

everyone is talking up iMessage like its the new BBM.... but its NOT... not at all... its integrated into the already existing messages.app and basically what it does is when you send a text, it scans the phone number/apple id of the person to see if they'tre on iOS 5, and if they are... its sent via 3g or wifi instead of as a text message... its alot smaller deal than people make it out to be, but pretty awesome anyways

the tweaks to the camera are awesome.. accessing it from the lock screen, on screen grid, using the volume button to take a pic, minor image editing... all little things, but make the process of using the phone so much more friendly

the notification centre is awesome.... but clearly an android rip-off... so im not giving them any credit

wireless syncing... makes life so much easier....

twitter integration in damn near everything

going to screw around with iCloud tonight... im not completely sold on it yet

the 3-4 hour upgrade time because of the slow ass apple servers was friggin painful though
                  Indeed. I felt the same way.
                  I like it after a days use though.

I just found the Pull-down window not to long ago. Slide down from the very top of the screen, and you'll get another Notifications type screen with tons more info.

Or how now in the text message screen, if you scroll down the keyboard automatically goes down with it. Little things make a big difference.

Going to try out the reminders a bit more. See what I make of it.

OO and you can now create and edit Seperate Albums for Photos. That ones HUUGE.

Comment

I just found the Pull-down window not to long ago. Slide down from the very top of the screen, and you'll get another Notifications type screen with tons more info.

Or how now in the text message screen, if you scroll down the keyboard automatically goes down with it. Little things make a big difference.

Going to try out the reminders a bit more. See what I make of it.

OO and you can now create and edit Seperate Albums for Photos. That ones HUUGE.
                    ya, but be careful with the multiple albums... i thought i could move things there, then delete them from the main "camera roll".... yaaaaa.. NO... tons of pictures of my baby niece and my puppy all gone... thank god i've been annoying people with them on facebook/twitter for months.. so they're backed up online..

the reminders thing seems cool... im old school though... i still put post it notes in my pocket, or write down what i need to do on my wrist.. lol

i'm avoiding the "where are my friend" app.. or whatever its called.... i REALLY dont like the sound of that app... sometimes i like to not be found

the seperation of music and video into seperate apps i like too.. really minor thing, but clears up a ton of clutter

it took me AGES to figure out how to get to the notification center... would be nice if it was integrated into the lock screen

Comment

This has been in Android since like, forever.

Comment

Ok so I got the new 4S about a week ago. This is my first iPhone (first smart phone for that matter). Tbh I am just a little overwhelmed with the phone. I've been playing around with it, figuring out what it can do, how it works etc.

I didn't realize there was so much involved. Like I had to set up an itunes account to listen music. I thought I could just upload my music/vids to a sim card like before. Haha yeah right.

I mean the phone is capable of so many things I kinda just don't know where to start. I'm hoping you guys who have experience with the iphone can help me out some. I wanna get the most out of this phone. Any tips, hints cool, apps etc. would be greatly appreciated-I iz noob. Thanks.

Comment

ive had iphones for years... so, alot of it is just sort of automatic for me at this point... but i'll throw some things out

you can drag your app icons on top of each other, and it will group them tgether.. sorta like folders.. saves homescreen space... organizes your apps... and you dont have to riflle through multiple pages..

play with the Settings app.... sounds boring, but all the little personalizing tweaks for almost everything is in there

the maps app is AMAZING... and its google maps... so you know what that means? you can look up an address, and STREETVIEW it

The Score's app is actually pretty bad ass... and my favourite of all the score tracking apps

If you're a public transit taker... you want to go to Nextbus.com on your iphone browser... and bookmark it to your homescreen... by bookmarking it, you make it a webapp.. and its a MUST... it GPS tracks EVERY bus and streetcar to the minute

your bank mot likely has an app... i do all my banking from my phone these days

The weathereye app is a thousand times better than the generic weather app built into the phone

in the Settings/Accessibility... or Setting/General/Accessibility... cant remember.... there are a few neat tweaks... ie/ you can customize your vibrations

google how to create your own ringtones... its actually REALLY easy..

There are a some really cool lifestyle apps... Lose It! for tracking your caloric intake and exercise.. Nike+ GPS for tracking your running.. Allrecipes when you want to pretend you're a much better cook than you really are.. The Pizza Pizza app is AWESOME... and you win free stuff for your next order everytime you order on the app

Photoshop Express is a must... Camerabag too (but i dont think that's free)

if i think up more, ill post them..

i've actually fnally decided to turn my back on Big Brother Apple... and just placed a reservation for the Motorola Droid RAZR... but the years on the iPhone were awesome... its a great phone

Comment

Thanks for the input Heinz. Yeah I'm slowly getting the hang of the iphone. Figured out how to group apps, played around with the settings, notifications, etc.

I just figured out how to access the camera from the lock screen! I still can't figure out how to use Siri without holding the home button??? Any suggestions?

I agree the google maps app is AWESOME! The Score app is one of the first things I downloaded, I gotta get my sports fix.

Comment

.40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
                              Thanks for the input Heinz. Yeah I'm slowly getting the hang of the iphone. Figured out how to group apps, played around with the settings, notifications, etc.

I just figured out how to access the camera from the lock screen! I still can't figure out how to use Siri without holding the home button??? Any suggestions?

I agree the google maps app is AWESOME! The Score app is one of the first things I downloaded, I gotta get my sports fix.
                              For Siri, I'm pretty sure if you just hold the phone up to your ear and talk, it enables Siri. Probably have to have it unlocked though? Try it out.
                              The phone has a sensor, that when covered (by your ear) triggers the screen to turn off. So I'm guessing it's maybe tied to that?

Heinz covered most of the stuff you should know, but a couple other things you might care for:
                              -Make sure you Double tap the Home Screen and clear out your "Running Apps" every once in a while.
                              -There's a couple programs called "Free Video to iPhone Converter" and "CloneDVD 5", that you can put on your PC, and they do exactly as advertised. Put any of your DVDs on your phone, and convert any Video files you have to iPhone format. I did this for my plane ride, and was great for killing time.

And some Cool Apps to try out:
                              -"iTorch4" turns the Flash-bulb from the camera into a Flashlight. Very handy sometimes.
                              -"Dropbox" has a great app, and you get 2 gigs free Cloud Storage. Very good for backing up your pictures you take on the fly.
                              -"Remote" allows you to control your Computer based iTunes from your Phone. Very cool app.
                              -"TuneIn Radio" allows for Real-Time FM/AM radio for ANY station in the world. Incredible App.
                              -"Evernote" is a much more advanced Note taking Tool. Very handy if you're a working man.
                              -"Microsoft Photosynth" is THE BEST panorama App I've ever seen. Hands down.
                              -"Guitar Toolkit" is $10, but if you're a guitar player, it pays for itself alone by being the best Tuner I've ever used. It has like 50 other Amazing tools as well. Best App I've ever bought.

Comment

Working...
                              X