Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howard leaving Orlando? Chance for the Raps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
    I highly doubt Howard would sign in Toronto. But if he did, Bargnani suddenly makes sense and Derozan no longer does (unless he can suddenly hit a 3 ofcourse).
    I don't think it will happen BUT I've always thought Bargnani paired with Howard would make a lot of sense, always wondered if a trade could be swung with Orlando to get some interesting pieces back for Bargs (Redick and Anderson, maybe?).

Anyways, I wouldn't cash out on Derozan. I think his 3-point shot will develop, and then he will mesh with Howard all the more.

Comment

Howard to the Lakers makes the most sense, because he says he wants to play somewhere warm, and in a big market, and for a winning, contending team. The Lakers could trade Bynum for him, giving Orlando a good return, or at least better than they got for Shaq. I think Howard has actually said he wants to play for the Lakers.

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
        Howard to the Lakers makes the most sense, because he says he wants to play somewhere warm, and in a big market, and for a winning, contending team. The Lakers could trade Bynum for him, giving Orlando a good return, or at least better than they got for Shaq. I think Howard has actually said he wants to play for the Lakers.
        It definitely might happen, but i hoping it wouldnt. Im really getting sick and tired of these high-profile teams always getting elite players and being constant contenders. Hopefully with the hard cap (if it is agreed upon) brings these teams down.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
          It definitely might happen, but i hoping it wouldnt. Im really getting sick and tired of these high-profile teams always getting elite players and being constant contenders. Hopefully with the hard cap (if it is agreed upon) brings these teams down.
          A hard cap would bring the players down and reward the league for its lack of revenue sharing, while allowing teams like the Lakers and Knicks to get away with pure banditry (They both earn at least $150 million per year in local TV money). There's no revenue sharing in ticket money or local TV money, so some teams, the Pacers for example, barely scrape by, and others earn tens of millions no matter how high their payroll.

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
            A hard cap would bring the players down and reward the league for its lack of revenue sharing, while allowing teams like the Lakers and Knicks to get away with pure banditry (They both earn at least $150 million per year in local TV money). There's no revenue sharing in ticket money or local TV money, so some teams, the Pacers for example, barely scrape by, and others earn tens of millions no matter how high their payroll.
            Thanks for the info. My knowledge on cap space is that it only limits teams with less money bargaining power, so teams with more money usually get the better players.

Comment

I'd trade the entire Raptors team if it were possible to get Howard. But the chance of him landing in TO is nothing short of a miracle.

Comment

jlongs wrote: View Post
                I'd trade the entire Raptors team if it were possible to get Howard. But the chance of him landing in TO is nothing short of a miracle.
                Agreed. The Raptors players are all 100% fungible, but a top 10 players is not.

Comment

no.

Comment

will a sign and trade work?

i guess they would have to take another player....

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=43lz8oy

Comment

Orlando will use Utah as an example of what to do right with Howard. They will play the season out. If Orlando is not doing well, and Howard wants to leave, they will pull a trade to a team that has assets. If I was Orlando I would want the best chance to rebuild and unload some of my dead weight. That would include both Hedo and Gilbert.

I don't see Orlando taking Amir and Barbosa for Howard.. that's not enough. If you used JV, and our top pick in 2012 or 2013 then I can see it. If they needed to include Turk then that would be a NO. If they included Arenas then we won't have the assets to help make that deal happen - unless we introduce a 3rd team which makes this exponentially more difficult.

This is why I don't see this ever happening. I don't think Howard would want to play for a team like Toronto (not necessarily because of the location, and more so because we suck). I don't see Orlando wanting any of our assets and they would have a problem unloading Turk and/or Arenas. My guess is that LA will be front runner. They have the assets to swing a deal, and take on either Turk or Arenas.

NO may be able to take him as well...

Here is a potential NO/Orlando trade:
                      http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3as9xaj

This way Howard can play with Paul. NO has some good draft prospects that they could use as well (eg, 2012 and 2013 picks).

Don't get me wrong though - I would love to see Howard in a Raptors uniform. I just don't see it happening. Plus in a new CBA they might get rid of the sign and trade. So any GM trading with Orlando would have be certain that Howard resigns as a FA or else that would be a stupid deal.

To put an optimistic spin on this though.. if the new CBA provides an amnesty clause, and Orlando is able to wipe out Arena's contract without much of a cap hit, then they wouldn't need to get rid of Arenas or Turk when trading Howard. This will give the Raptors a greater chance at the Howard sweepstakes, but I'm not convinced that he would want to come here. Orlando is a better team then the Raptors, and he seems to like it there.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                        Orlando will use Utah as an example of what to do right with Howard. They will play the season out. If Orlando is not doing well, and Howard wants to leave, they will pull a trade to a team that has assets. If I was Orlando I would want the best chance to rebuild and unload some of my dead weight. That would include both Hedo and Gilbert.

I don't see Orlando taking Amir and Barbosa for Howard.. that's not enough. If you used JV, and our top pick in 2012 or 2013 then I can see it. If they needed to include Turk then that would be a NO. If they included Arenas then we won't have the assets to help make that deal happen - unless we introduce a 3rd team which makes this exponentially more difficult.

This is why I don't see this ever happening. I don't think Howard would want to play for a team like Toronto (not necessarily because of the location, and more so because we suck). I don't see Orlando wanting any of our assets and they would have a problem unloading Turk and/or Arenas. My guess is that LA will be front runner. They have the assets to swing a deal, and take on either Turk or Arenas.

NO may be able to take him as well...

Here is a potential NO/Orlando trade:
                        http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3as9xaj

This way Howard can play with Paul. NO has some good draft prospects that they could use as well (eg, 2012 and 2013 picks).

Don't get me wrong though - I would love to see Howard in a Raptors uniform. I just don't see it happening. Plus in a new CBA they might get rid of the sign and trade. So any GM trading with Orlando would have be certain that Howard resigns as a FA or else that would be a stupid deal.

To put an optimistic spin on this though.. if the new CBA provides an amnesty clause, and Orlando is able to wipe out Arena's contract without much of a cap hit, then they wouldn't need to get rid of Arenas or Turk when trading Howard. This will give the Raptors a greater chance at the Howard sweepstakes, but I'm not convinced that he would want to come here. Orlando is a better team then the Raptors, and he seems to like it there.
                        i guess youre right, specially not after this - http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-news-an...a-and-montreal

Comment

Working...
                        X