Clear All

• Phoenix/Toronto

Option #1:

To Phoenix:
    -Andrea Bargnani

To Toronto:
    -Robin Lopez
    -Mickael Pietrus
    -2012 First Round pick (top 10 protected)

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=66qf4mw

Why for Phoenix:

Bargnani would be an improvement over anything they have at PF (Frye, Warrick) and he could partner well with Gortat. Gortat could cover some of Bargnani's weaknesses on defense, and the two would create a unique look on offense. Bargnani could also play sparing minutes at Center to give Gortat a rest. Gortat and Bargnani could run very unique Pic N' Rolls and Pic N' Pops.

Why for Toronto:

Trading Bargnani clears our logjam at the PF spot, giving Ed Davis more minutes to develop. We also keep Amir in order to retain our frontcourt depth. Adding Lopez gives us a capable, young center who has burned some bridges and been replaced (Gortat) in Phoenix. Although Lopez is not a big defensive upgrade at center that we need, he is a temporary filler.

Lopez and Alabi could hopefully hold down Center until Valanciunas comes over next year. Lopez is also an restricted free agent in 2012 which means that he would be under team control for a few more years if we wanted to keep him.

Pietrus gives us a defensive SF to play behind James Johnson at least until Kleiza is healthy. He is also an expiring contract so we are not tied into long term money.

But we also hopefully would gain a mid-first round pick which gives us an opportunity to add more young talent.

Option #2:

To Phoenix:
    -Andrea Bargnani

To Toronto:
    -Robin Lopez
    -Josh Childress
    -2012 First Round pick (top 6 protected)

Switching Pietrus for Childress would lower the protection on the First Round Pick due to his bloated contract. This would help Phoenix get out from under a horrible contract. In theory, we could also maybe use the amnesty to then get rid of Childress.

My worry is that the Phoenix would have the view that they were giving up too much value in Option #1 (young center, expiring contract, first round pick) and are more likely to go for Option #2.

Neither of these trades greatly improve us for the upcoming year (if there is one), but they do give us a variety of options.

Thoughts?
    http://twitter.com/m_shantz

as long as we get a first round pick im all for it. Draft kabongo with that pick and we're all good. And we get rid of dre sweet

Comment

Sounds like some good ideas, kind of looking like the ones I offer in the ''Don't trade Bargnani ideas Thread'', but yours are a little bit more reallistic. Bargnani or Amir for another 2012 first round pick would be so nice. Then if we can get Nash, let's also trade out Calderon. Offer other picks, money, etc... As long as we can get another pick and keep our future core intact and improve it by the way. Valanciunas, Davis or Bargnani, Barnes or another good SF from the draft, DeMar, then Kabongo or Bayless, depending how it goes on. Sounds pretty good, right?

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post
        Option #1:

To Phoenix:
        -Andrea Bargnani

To Toronto:
        -Robin Lopez
        -Mickael Pietrus
        -2012 First Round pick (top 10 protected)

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=66qf4mw

Why for Phoenix:

Bargnani would be an improvement over anything they have at PF (Frye, Warrick) and he could partner well with Gortat. Gortat could cover some of Bargnani's weaknesses on defense, and the two would create a unique look on offense. Bargnani could also play sparing minutes at Center to give Gortat a rest. Gortat and Bargnani could run very unique Pic N' Rolls and Pic N' Pops.

Why for Toronto:

Trading Bargnani clears our logjam at the PF spot, giving Ed Davis more minutes to develop. We also keep Amir in order to retain our frontcourt depth. Adding Lopez gives us a capable, young center who has burned some bridges and been replaced (Gortat) in Phoenix. Although Lopez is not a big defensive upgrade at center that we need, he is a temporary filler.

Lopez and Alabi could hopefully hold down Center until Valanciunas comes over next year. Lopez is also an restricted free agent in 2012 which means that he would be under team control for a few more years if we wanted to keep him.

Pietrus gives us a defensive SF to play behind James Johnson at least until Kleiza is healthy. He is also an expiring contract so we are not tied into long term money.

But we also hopefully would gain a mid-first round pick which gives us an opportunity to add more young talent.

Option #2:

To Phoenix:
        -Andrea Bargnani

To Toronto:
        -Robin Lopez
        -Josh Childress
        -2012 First Round pick (top 6 protected)

Switching Pietrus for Childress would lower the protection on the First Round Pick due to his bloated contract. This would help Phoenix get out from under a horrible contract. In theory, we could also maybe use the amnesty to then get rid of Childress.

My worry is that the Phoenix would have the view that they were giving up too much value in Option #1 (young center, expiring contract, first round pick) and are more likely to go for Option #2.

Neither of these trades greatly improve us for the upcoming year (if there is one), but they do give us a variety of options.

Thoughts?
        I really like option 1.

Lopez regressed in year 3. Injuries were certainly a factor as was adding Gortat mid-season.

Pietrus is a solid defensive player and a welcome addition to a weak wing rotation.

Both are expiring contracts and both could have value towards the trade deadline. Lopez and Alabi would be a decent duo for this coming season to see who stays with the club long term - if both play to their supposed potential, either would be a good back up C long term and starter short term.

The concern with giving up too much talent/assets in option one is a legit concern. Maybe throw in Toronto 2012 2nd round pick with top 35 protection and 2013 going if not 2012.

The Suns also have Morris coming in as a rookie (Warrick, Frye, Lopez, Gortat) - could be a back log of bigs who offer the same things i.e. no diversity????
        Last edited by mcHAPPY; Tue Oct 18, 2011, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          I really like option 1.

Lopez regressed in year 3. Injuries were certainly a factor as was adding Gortat mid-season.

Pietrus is a solid defensive player and a welcome addition to a weak wing rotation.

Both are expiring contracts and both could have value towards the trade deadline. Lopez and Alabi would be a decent duo for this coming season to see who stays with the club long term - if both play to their supposed potential, either would be a good back up C long term and starter short term.

The concern with giving up too much talent/assets in option one is a legit concern. Maybe throw in Toronto 2012 2nd round pick with top 35 protection and 2013 going if not 2012.

The Suns also have Morris coming in as a rookie (Warrick, Frye, Lopez, Gortat) - could be a back log of bigs who offer the same things i.e. no diversity????
          I like your idea for a second round pick to help balance things a little bit. And I had also forgot about Morris coming in as a rookie. The drafting of Morris may make this trade a little unrealistic. Removing Lopez was meant to be taking away from their glut at PF by adding someone who could play both frontcourt spots. But Phoenix would/should want to develop Morris which would then limit the minutes for Bargnani. Now I'm not too sure about this from Phoenix's position.

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post
            I like your idea for a second round pick to help balance things a little bit. And I had also forgot about Morris coming in as a rookie. The drafting of Morris may make this trade a little unrealistic. Removing Lopez was meant to be taking away from their glut at PF by adding someone who could play both frontcourt spots. But Phoenix would/should want to develop Morris which would then limit the minutes for Bargnani. Now I'm not too sure about this from Phoenix's position.
            Warrick has been a pretty big disappointment.

A four man rotation of Gortat, Bargnani, Fry, and Morris might be interesting.

Didn't Morris also say he could or would like to play some 3 during the draft process?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Warrick has been a pretty big disappointment.

A four man rotation of Gortat, Bargnani, Fry, and Morris might be interesting.

Didn't Morris also say he could or would like to play some 3 during the draft process?
              Morris did say that he would like to play SF as well, but I'm not particularly sold on that as a possibility. I could see it working for short stretches in order to try to maximize Markieff's post play against smaller players, but I think as a full time SF he would get exploited.

Adding Bargnani does give them a variety of looks though for Morris as a SF. Bargnani can (ideally) pull his man away from the basket on offense which would give Morris more room to work down low with Gortat. They could be a very unconventional frontcourt group.

Comment

I don't like either of those options. The Raptors have lots of prospects. What they need to do is a straight up one for one to bring in a wing or toss in a lottery protected pick and get an even better wing.

Comment

Just what the Raptors need; 3 more bench options for a lineup already short of starter-caliber players!

Comment

Depending on the new CBA, Childress is a candidate for the amnesty/stretch option. I also dont know why the SUns would want Bargs since they have a clone in Fry. I would do a larger deal that would pry Gortat & Pietrus from them. I like them both and would also fit into Casey's coaching style & objectives.

Comment

Childress' jump shot is so ugly and flawed that it's literally painful to watch. They should post a disclaimer prior to Suns games "Warning! May cause seizures. If subjected to prolonged exposure seek medical treatment immediately".

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Childress' jump shot is so ugly and flawed that it's literally painful to watch. They should post a disclaimer prior to Suns games "Warning! May cause seizures. If subjected to prolonged exposure seek medical treatment immediately".
                        his afro is hilarious.
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                        X