The NHL Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MangoKid wrote: View Post
    I truly dipise the Caps and Ovechkin, so I was estatic that Montreal won last night. Fantastic game too. It was better than the Bucks-Hawks.

I picked Vancouver and Pitt from the outset. Let's see if that comes to fruition.
    Vancouver looked great in the first round. They're such a deep team from top to bottom. Pittsburgh and Crosby will no doubt be in the finals. Like you with Ovechkin, I depise Crosby but I think its mostly because I'm jealous of how talented the kid is. He was amazing against Ottawa in the 1st round and proved why he's the best in the NHL. WOW.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
      WOW .... kudos to the Habs for taking down Goliath last night.

I expect quite a few changes in Washington this summer. Right now they have to find a way to get themselves tier one goaltender. Perhaps the Habs and Caps might talk some deals this summer seeing how Montreal will like go with Halak as their number one from now on and not Price.
      Fo' real Doc.

I think in order for the Caps to get that #1 tender, they're going to have to give up some of that depth they have on the blueline - Alzner, Carlsson. I can't see the Caps dealing with Montreal, but I can see Lecavalier going to MTL for Price.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Kiprusoff being dealt to Washington.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
        Wouldn't be surprised to see Kiprusoff being dealt to Washington.
        Kipper's past his prime don't you think, Hoops? That would be a risky move in opinion.

Comment

Vancouver looked great in the first round. They're such a deep team from top to bottom. Pittsburgh and Crosby will no doubt be in the finals. Like you with Ovechkin, I depise Crosby but I think its mostly because I'm jealous of how talented the kid is. He was amazing against Ottawa in the 1st round and proved why he's the best in the NHL. WOW.
          People slag on Sid beacuse he's vanilla. He doesn't have the pizzazz or give good interviews like Ovechkin, but all he does is win and lead his teams - Rimouski, team Canada - juniors and olympics and Pittsburgh. Ovechkin is flashy, but he's a terrible leader and he runs his mouth a bit too much.

Vancouver addressed their bottom 2 lines in the offseason, and I think that will lift them above Chicago in the next round. They have much better depth than last season.

Comment

Kipper's past his prime don't you think, Hoops? That would be a risky move in opinion.
            I don't think this season was his fault, Doc. The Flames had a tough time scoring. Put him on a team like the Caps, and they'd be going to the finals next year (providing they don't give up Semin or Backstrom for him). Calgary would gladly give up Kipper for Alzner - who played his junior hockey in Calgary with the Hitmen and Carlson. They'd probably find a FA goalie to mind the net next season or just go with Irving.

Comment

Canadiens Send Halak To Blues

Canadiens send Halak’s rights to St. Louis

Say goodbye to the Montreal Canadiens goaltending controversy and hello to Jaroslav Halak as a member of the St. Louis Blues.

The giant-killers of this year’s NHL playoffs have sent Halak’s restricted free agent rights to St. Louis. RDS was the first to report the deal.

The Blues announced via Twitter that they gave up two prospects:

•Centre Lars Eller, drafted 13th overall in 2007.
              •Right winger Ian Schultz, drafted 87th overall in 2008.
              The 25-year-old Halak supplanted former first-round draft choice Carey Price during this year’s playoffs. Slovakia’s netminder at the 2010 Olympics led the Habs to upset wins over first overall Washington and defending champions Pittsburgh before Philadelphia upended the Canadiens in the Eastern Conference final.

But the presence of Price and the expected huge contract demands of Halak apparently led new Montreal general manager Pierre Gauthier to send Halak to the Blues.

More to come.

Read more: http://sports.nationalpost.com/categ...#ixzz0r8mCDkOp
              The National Post is now on Facebook. Join our fan community today.
              interesting...
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Ugh ... while I understand the reasoning in getting rid of Halak, this is going to set the Canadiens back a bit. Price is a dud, much like how Emery was in Ottawa. All the talent in the world, but their meathead mentalities have ruined them for the most part.

Great move for St. Louis though.

Comment

meh, i still believe in price i mean he
                  s like 6'3", 220 just stand in the net.
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                    meh, i still believe in price i mean he
                    s like 6'3", 220 just stand in the net.
                    True, he has a piss poor attitude and when your like that, places like Montreal and Toronto are the last places in the NHL you want to play. Everything he does is analyzed under a microscope. The Habs keeping Price doesn't make sense in my opinion.

Comment

ya, but halak is two years older than him and you hadn't even seen him until this year's breakout perfomance.

so, i mean price does have more potential whether he can capatalize on it is the question.

Comment

So puckheads and Leafs fans, you happy with the Versteeg deal last night? Great move by Burke, but the Leafs still need a centre.

Just read that my Sens signed Gonchar to a 3 year deal. Considering his age I really hope his body can hold up another couple seasons, but I don't think he'll be overworked like he was in Pittsburgh over these last couple years. Regardless, great mentor for a young defenseman like Karlsson and Kovalev will no doubt be happy to have one of his good friends on the team too.

Comment

Another strong signing from Burke and the Leafs with Colby Armstrong: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=326253

OK, now I'm starting to get jealous.

Comment

the nuckle heads are starting to make some nice moves hamhuis, malhotra,ballard

Comment

Devils Re-Sign Kovalchuk

After flirting with the Los Angeles Kings and returning to the Russian league KHL, Ilya Kovalchuk has decided he is a Jersey Boy after all. The high-scoring left wing ended 19 days of free agency and re-signed with the Devils this morning, according to the team.

Kovalchuk and Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello will hold a joint press conference tomorrow at the Prudential Center.

The 27-year-old Kovalchuk was the biggest free agent in this NHL class of unrestricted free agents and some think one of the biggest to ever hit the market in recent history.

Kovalchuk, who has twice scored 52 goals in a season, was looking for a long-term deal, according to sources. In February, he turned down a seven-year $70 million deal and a 12-year, $101 million deal to resign with the Thashers, the team that drafted him in 2001. He made $7.5 million last season.

No details of his deal with the Devils were immediately available.

After parts of eight seasons with the Thrashers, and after he turned down deals to resign, Kovalchuk was dealt to the Devils on February 4. He finished the season with the Devils, playing the final 27 regular season and five playoff games with the Devils.

Kovalchuk, who scored 10 goals and had 27 points with the Devils, had 41 points last season. After just one playoff appearance in his seven full seasons in Atlanta, Kovalchuk got his wish to return to the playoffs with the Devils. It didn’t last long, however. Kovalchuk scored two goals as the Devils were bounced in the first round by the eventual Eastern Conference champions, the Flyers.

The three-time All-Star has scored 338 goals in his eight seasons.

Kovalchuk, who officially became a free agent at noon on July 1, went to Los Angeles last week with his agent. Several reports had him close to signing with the Kings, but he left without a deal in hand. Over the weekend, Kovalchuk was said to be mulling his decision between the Devils, Kings and an offer from St. Petersburg of the KHL in his native Russia.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...#ixzz0u99AD5oV

Comment

I mean a 17-year contract? There's no way this guy plays until he's 44. I say the NHL has a right to void it. There has to be a term limit in regards to contracts. There are a lot of 10-15 year contracts popping up everywhere

Comment

Working...
                                X