Free Agency 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    Well so would I, but the chances of grabbing a solid PG like that in the second round are pretty freaking slim. In fact I can't think of a single one that's in the league right now that's good enough to play starter's minutes.
    I meant a 2nd pick, not a 2nd round pick. But Colangelo will have to pull a few strings to make that happen

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      S&T's are not outlawed... the benefits of Bird Rights are no longer with them though.

The TPE cannot be combined and with only around $9.1M remaining on it, I don't see that being enough for Tyson. However, Amir's contract plus Raptor cap space should do it so no need for TPE.
      Ugh, it's going to take me a while to get up to speed again. I could have sworn I read S&T was banned but E&T was staying. So we're certain you can't pair the TPE with a player in the new system?

Comment

i actually like the idea of stuckey but only if he's going to play SG or be 6th man. as duly noted he's not a facilitator by any means but he's a fantastic scorer and can defend. has demar put on any muscle this summer? play him at the 3 (for a year at least) and stuckey at SG and lets do this.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

gary forbes is another FA i really like. nice success story and hard worker. i assume the nugs are going to resign him though since their retarded 3 players are stuck in china for the year.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Ugh, it's going to take me a while to get up to speed again. I could have sworn I read S&T was banned but E&T was staying. So we're certain you can't pair the TPE with a player in the new system?
            I do not believe you can combine TPE with players salary.... I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Teams that are in the tax are governed by the old 125% + 100K rule.
            Non tax teams can do 150% + 100K or 100% + $5M whichever is less.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              I meant a 2nd pick, not a 2nd round pick. But Colangelo will have to pull a few strings to make that happen
              Yeah my mistake, didn't read that properly. Makes a lot more sense lol.

Comment

Is Fruitman (or whatever his name is) upto snuff on all these rules already?

Comment

I do not believe you can combine TPE with players salary.... I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Teams that are in the tax are governed by the old 125% + 100K rule.
                  Non tax teams can do 150% + 100K or 100% + $5M whichever is less.
                  Speaking of TPEs, what ever happened to Bosh's? Did it expire, or did the lockout postpone it's expiry date.

Comment

Speaking of TPEs, what ever happened to Bosh's? Did it expire, or did the lockout postpone it's expiry date.
                    Good question. That might be a B issue they need to work out.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Bosh's TPE expired on July 13 but because of the lockout on July 1st, I am unsure what happened to it.

I would assume it would be good for 13 days after the ratification of the new CBA which appears to be December 9th.

Comment

Something the Raptors could look at trying to do is similar to what OKC did with Nick Collison.

The Raptors could look at signing a free agent this year with a huge signing bonus to save cap space in future years. the signing bonus would count towards the cap this year (assuming the Raptors maintain cap space) and then the remaining years of the contract would be much smaller.. They currently have a payroll of about $50M. As soon as the tip off happens, they will lose JV's cap hold of $2.9M taking them to $47M.

What I would like to see the Raptors do is go with essentially the roster they have now only adding players on minimum contracts or make a trade that sends 1 player out with 2 coming back and then shedding some salary during the season (trade Bargnani, Barbosa, or Calderon) and take back less money - like $4-5M less. This way the Raptors have the minimum 13 players on the roster and $14M in cap space.

When Wilson Chandler becomes a free agent in March offer him a 4 year $16M contract with a signing bonus of $10M this year (total 4yr/$26M).

Next year, Toronto will have a SF who is legit starter in the league and capable of guarding 2, 3, or 4. If the Raptors acquire a top wing in the draft, you have a player with great versatility coming off the bench. Really good teams typically have players who would start on bad or average teams.

Toronto then maintains versatility next year in free agency and adds a great young player to their bench to go with Amir, JJ, (hopefully a healthy) Kleiza, and (hopefully a much improved) Alabi.

Clearly the above is much easier typed than done and highly unlikely but it is just an idea.

Comment

Something the Raptors could look at trying to do is similar to what OKC did with Nick Collison.

The Raptors could look at signing a free agent this year with a huge signing bonus to save cap space in future years. the signing bonus would count towards the cap this year (assuming the Raptors maintain cap space) and then the remaining years of the contract would be much smaller.. They currently have a payroll of about $50M. As soon as the tip off happens, they will lose JV's cap hold of $2.9M taking them to $47M.

What I would like to see the Raptors do is go with essentially the roster they have now only adding players on minimum contracts or make a trade that sends 1 player out with 2 coming back and then shedding some salary during the season (trade Bargnani, Barbosa, or Calderon) and take back less money - like $4-5M less. This way the Raptors have the minimum 13 players on the roster and $14M in cap space.

When Wilson Chandler becomes a free agent in March offer him a 4 year $16M contract with a signing bonus of $10M this year (total 4yr/$26M).

Next year, Toronto will have a SF who is legit starter in the league and capable of guarding 2, 3, or 4. If the Raptors acquire a top wing in the draft, you have a player with great versatility coming off the bench. Really good teams typically have players who would start on bad or average teams.

Toronto then maintains versatility next year in free agency and adds a great young player to their bench to go with Amir, JJ, (hopefully a healthy) Kleiza, and (hopefully a much improved) Alabi.

Clearly the above is much easier typed than done and highly unlikely but it is just an idea.

Comment

It will be interesting to see which teams can tender an offer to Wilson Chandler when he becomes a free-agent.

Comment

Is he going to available in March? Is that when his contract finishes? I'd actually be up for trying to get him. He's young, a legit starter and it's not as if his presence for a couple of months is going to make that big a difference. I wonder if he'd want to wait, though, and see what his options were in the summer.
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                                Is he going to available in March? Is that when his contract finishes? I'd actually be up for trying to get him. He's young, a legit starter and it's not as if his presence for a couple of months is going to make that big a difference. I wonder if he'd want to wait, though, and see what his options were in the summer.
                                He will be a free agent once his contract in China ends which is March from my understanding.

Hypothetically speaking and assuming what I proposed was even possible, if you were Wilson Chandler at 24/25 years of age, would you turn down $10M up front and $16 more million over the next 4 years heading in to a strong free agent summer?

The only way I see him refusing is if he thinks he'll get more money this summer.

Comment

Working...
                                X