Free Agency 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    Just read this from Haberstroh over at espn.com (insider), in his 'best free agent fits' piece:

Stuckey's QO is at 3.9 million rounded up, so you're probably looking at around 5ish or more to pry him away from Detroit. I'm thinking probably not worth it since you've got a free year for Bayless to prove himself and there's no shortage of quality point guards in the NBA right now so going after one down the line probably won't be that tough, but it's an interesting idea. Discuss!
    We have two score first make passes later point guards already. No need for a third in my opinion.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      We have two score first make passes later point guards already. No need for a third in my opinion.
      ugg Stuckey.

Guy is tough as nails and a solid defender.... but he doesn't pass and can't hit a 3 to save his life. Not exactly pg material in my books.

Calderon > Bayless > Stuckey

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
        Sure his career ended quick. One year you are playing, the next you aren't. That doesn't mean he would have been ineffective if he stuck around for a few more. (doesn't mean he would have been effective either ofcourse).

That said, being 'smart' when one ends their career is probably a rarity for alot of athletes. Bowen did it like alot of players should, but seem not to.

And a players defense is unquestionably helped by his team, which makes DRTG a bit of a 'harder' stat to work with (not to mention who a player covers... ie. a guy like Bowen almost always got the tougher check). Hedo for instance had a DRTG of 110 with Phoenix last year and 103 with Orlando. I just used it to give a rough idea of where he stood compared to most.

But this whole idea of losing athleticism and no longer being an effective defender I just don't think is true. There is ofcourse a point where its inevitable (especially with injuries/wear and tear etc). But a guy like Battier could easily finish out his career similar to how Bowen did and be extremely useful for another 3-5 years.

(again not by any means saying that the Raps should sign Battier)
        Bowen couldn't catch onto a team at the end. Even the Spurs didn't want him back even though it wouldn't have cost them anything. He was completely done.

While athleticism is not necessary for big men to still be decent defenders, on the wing you need to be able to stay with your man. And one big difference between Battier and Bowen is that Battier was never the most quick footed defender, anyway, so him losing a step or two would affect him A LOT more than other guys.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
          ugg Stuckey.

Guy is tough as nails and a solid defender.... but he doesn't pass and can't hit a 3 to save his life. Not exactly pg material in my books.

Calderon > Bayless > Stuckey
          I fourth that. That would be an awful pickup. Haberstroh doesn't impress me if he thinks Stuckey would be a perfect fit for the Raptors. I do like his comment that Stuckey become a better distributor last year. From bad to not very good!
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

5th.

I think he always pops up on people's radar because he has great size and just like we see in the draft, size gets overrated time and time again.

Comment

News wire

Not that it matters to us but Gasol probably isn't going anywhere:
              People with knowledge of Heisley's thinking are convinced that the Grizzlies will match any offer sheet Gasol signs with another suitor. Memphis would have three days to match under the proposed collective bargaining agreement.
              Source: Commercialappeal.com

Biedrins won't be cut:
              The Warriors say they're not considering an amnesty for Biedrins. Instead, they want to make a push to acquire a big man, such as Tyson Chandler, Samuel Dalembert, Marc Gasol, DeAndre Jordan or Nene.
              Source: sfgate.com

Comment

In addition to the ESPN article ranking Stuckey at #7 for the Raptors, there was also the obvious...

2. Tyson Chandler -- Toronto Raptors
                Chandler could decide to return to the Mavericks, but he could also choose to follow Dwane Casey from the Dallas Mavericks' bench to Toronto. Casey, the newly hired Raptors head coach, was the defensive guru behind the Mavericks' wall that stifled the Los Angeles Lakers and the Miami Heat en route to a title.

Chandler flourished as the anchor to Casey's system, and the Raptors have the cash to offer the center big money. Of course, Dallas owner Mark Cuban notoriously breaks the bank for his centers, so there's a good chance Chandler will defend the title. However, a Casey and Chandler connection would be ideal for Toronto.

Comment

What would someone think if the Raptors pulled a S&T Amir + TPE(if still in play) for Chandler?

Edit: Wait, S&T's are outlawed now. My bad.

Comment

I just looked up the 2012 FA list and it completely reaffirmed that going after Stuckey makes absolutely no sense. Here's a sampling of the point guards from the 2012 class:

Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls – $7.0 million – Restricted ($9.1 million Qualifying Offer)
                    Chris Paul, New Orleans Hornets – $16.4 million – Player Option ($17.8 million)
                    Deron Williams, New Jersey Nets – $16.4 million – Player Option ($17.8 million)
                    Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder – $5.1 million – Restricted ($6.7 million Qualifying Offer)
                    Jrue Holiday, Philadelphia 76ers – $1.7 million – Team Option ($2.7 million)
                    Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns – $11.7 million – Unrestricted
                    Raymond Felton, Portland Trail Blazers – $7.6 million – Unrestricted
                    Kirk Hinrich, Atlanta Hawks – $8.0 million – Unrestricted
                    Jason Kidd, Dallas Mavericks – $8.6 million – Unrestricted
                    Andre Miller, Denver Nuggets – $7.8 million – Unrestricted
                    Chauncey Billups, New York Knicks – $14.2 million – Unrestricted
                    Jameer Nelson, Orlando Magic – $7.8 million – Player Option ($7.8 million)
                    Toney Douglas, New York Knicks – $1.1 million – Team Option ($2.1 million)
                    D.J. Augustin, Charlotte Bobcats – $3.2 million – Restricted ($4.4 million Qualifying Offer)
                    Jason Terry, Dallas Mavericks – $10.7 million – Unrestricted
                    Gilbert Arenas, Orlando Magic – $19.3 million – Early Termination Option ($20.8 million)
                    George Hill, Indiana Pacers – $2.1 million – Restricted ($3.1 million Qualifying Offer)

Now I'm not saying that the Raps have any shot at the bigger names on that list, this is just to illustrate how many quality point guards will be on the market. BUT with so many teams competing for the big names, that means the Raps could find some bargains like the last guy on that list, George Hill.

edit: no S&Ts? Boooo, there goes my draft Davis and pry Westbrook from OKC wet dream.

re-edit: Or would he qualify for an E&T, which seems to be doable in the new CBA? Does anyone know the rules there?
                    Last edited by Lark Benson; Mon Nov 28, 2011, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                      I just looked up the 2012 FA list and it completely reaffirmed that going after Stuckey makes absolutely no sense. Here's a sampling of the point guards from the 2012 class:

Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls – $7.0 million – Restricted ($9.1 million Qualifying Offer)
                      Chris Paul, New Orleans Hornets – $16.4 million – Player Option ($17.8 million)
                      Deron Williams, New Jersey Nets – $16.4 million – Player Option ($17.8 million)
                      Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder – $5.1 million – Restricted ($6.7 million Qualifying Offer)
                      Jrue Holiday, Philadelphia 76ers – $1.7 million – Team Option ($2.7 million)
                      Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns – $11.7 million – Unrestricted
                      Raymond Felton, Portland Trail Blazers – $7.6 million – Unrestricted
                      Kirk Hinrich, Atlanta Hawks – $8.0 million – Unrestricted
                      Jason Kidd, Dallas Mavericks – $8.6 million – Unrestricted
                      Andre Miller, Denver Nuggets – $7.8 million – Unrestricted
                      Chauncey Billups, New York Knicks – $14.2 million – Unrestricted
                      Jameer Nelson, Orlando Magic – $7.8 million – Player Option ($7.8 million)
                      Toney Douglas, New York Knicks – $1.1 million – Team Option ($2.1 million)
                      D.J. Augustin, Charlotte Bobcats – $3.2 million – Restricted ($4.4 million Qualifying Offer)
                      Jason Terry, Dallas Mavericks – $10.7 million – Unrestricted
                      Gilbert Arenas, Orlando Magic – $19.3 million – Early Termination Option ($20.8 million)
                      George Hill, Indiana Pacers – $2.1 million – Restricted ($3.1 million Qualifying Offer)

Now I'm not saying that the Raps have any shot at the bigger names on that list, this is just to illustrate how many quality point guards will be on the market. BUT with so many teams competing for the big names, that means the Raps could find some bargains like the last guy on that list, George Hill.

edit: no S&Ts? Boooo, there goes my draft Davis and pry Westbrook from OKC wet dream.

re-edit: Or would he qualify for an E&T, which seems to be doable in the new CBA? Does anyone know the rules there?
                      See post 399 in the Lockout thread for a link to the actual proposal.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                        In addition to the ESPN article ranking Stuckey at #7 for the Raptors, there was also the obvious...
                        Source? I just wanna read the full article.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          What would someone think if the Raptors pulled a S&T Amir + TPE(if still in play) for Chandler?

Edit: Wait, S&T's are outlawed now. My bad.
                          S&T's are not outlawed... the benefits of Bird Rights are no longer with them though.

The TPE cannot be combined and with only around $9.1M remaining on it, I don't see that being enough for Tyson. However, Amir's contract plus Raptor cap space should do it so no need for TPE.

Comment

George Hill is yet another SG in a PG's body. I'd prefer to grab a pure, pass first, run the offense, type of PG....perhaps via a 2nd pick in next year's draft.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              George Hill is yet another SG in a PG's body. I'd prefer to grab a pure, pass first, run the offense, type of PG....perhaps via a 2nd pick in next year's draft.
                              Well so would I, but the chances of grabbing a solid PG like that in the second round are pretty freaking slim. In fact I can't think of a single one that's in the league right now that's good enough to play starter's minutes.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                                Source? I just wanna read the full article.
                                It's in the Insider Section of ESPN. If you want me to post the full article, let me know.

Comment

Working...
                                X