Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chisholm: What to do about the C position? Forget Tyson Chandler (212)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

apperantly the raps are pushing hard at luring Tyson Chandler as he seems to be on the way out of Dallas
    http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...eave_Mavericks

im hoping Chandler liked casey as much as Casey likes Chandler cause if so we might just have the C we should have had last season..

there are other teams interested & pushing hard too for him but from the teams listed on this article i see toronto as the best option for him... sure New jesey has D.Will but it has been mentioned that they were looking to sign guys to use as trad bait for D.Howard so would Tyson really what to take that chance... the other teams mentioned are no better off then us really so Casey might just be the difference maker

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
      apperantly the raps are pushing hard at luring Tyson Chandler as he seems to be on the way out of Dallas
      http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...eave_Mavericks

im hoping Chandler liked casey as much as Casey likes Chandler cause if so we might just have the C we should have had last season..

there are other teams interested & pushing hard too for him but from the teams listed on this article i see toronto as the best option for him... sure New jesey has D.Will but it has been mentioned that they were looking to sign guys to use as trad bait for D.Howard so would Tyson really what to take that chance... the other teams mentioned are no better off then us really so Casey might just be the difference maker
      And what exactly would having Chandler have done last year for the Raptors, other than prevent them from getting Valanciunas?
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

every team needs a vet or two.. not sure he would have made that big a differance last year.. Trianos system was flawed.. but i was mearly saying we should have had him(if MJ didnt nix it). under casey we could be alot better then most think. chandler would be a huge boost to our defence for the next few years & to throw jonas in the fire his first year may be a mistake. i think itd be better to ease him in... he could back up for year or two. bigs usually take more time to develop too. im still not sold on him.. europe isnt the same as over here... NBA scrubs go over there & win MVPs. its really hard to take euro ball stats serious so ill reserve my judgment on jonas....

as for the draft next year... if we are crap & get a high pick then great but i would rather the guys play hard & win.. if we see progress with our young guys which i think we will, there wont be a top pick for us anyway.. maybe 10th

Comment

every team needs a vet or two.. not sure he would have made that big a differance last year.. Trianos system was flawed.. but i was mearly saying we should have had him(if MJ didnt nix it). under casey we could be alot better then most think. chandler would be a huge boost to our defence for the next few years & to throw jonas in the fire his first year may be a mistake. i think itd be better to ease him in... he could back up for year or two. bigs usually take more time to develop too. im still not sold on him.. europe isnt the same as over here... NBA scrubs go over there & win MVPs. its really hard to take euro ball stats serious so ill reserve my judgment on jonas....

as for the draft next year... if we are crap & get a high pick then great but i would rather the guys play hard & win.. if we see progress with our young guys which i think we will, there wont be a top pick for us anyway.. maybe 10th
          Tyson Chandler would instantly make our defense respectable, I would love to have him on the Raptors, but I dont think its gonna happen.
          "Defense wins championships."

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
            I think peoples predictions of the Raptors this season are overly pessimistic (raptors are stacked). In regards to Bargnani coming off the bench in the past his minutes were limited, I want him to play the role of Jamal Crawford and still get his 30-36 min. but have him do it on the 2nd squad.
            You think the majority of Raptor fans as well as pretty much every media outlet is overly pessimistic about the Raptors chances? What was you prediction last season? And the season before that?

And you do realize that if Bargnani played 30-35 mpg, he'd still be playing mostly against starters.

As for Crawford, I don't know if he's really the one you want to start copying. I've never been fond of his game. And the Hawks will have trouble getting past the second round when they got a guy playing 30 mpg who can't defend a mannequin.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

every team needs a vet or two.. not sure he would have made that big a differance last year.. Trianos system was flawed.. but i was mearly saying we should have had him(if MJ didnt nix it). under casey we could be alot better then most think.
              You think Triano's system was the problem last year, and not the fact that the Raptors simply were a team that was incredibly young and lacking in talent?

Too many guys give WAY too much credit and blame to coaches. There are MAYBE half a dozen NBA coaches that can actually make that much of a difference.

chandler would be a huge boost to our defence for the next few years & to throw jonas in the fire his first year may be a mistake. i think itd be better to ease him in... he could back up for year or two. bigs usually take more time to develop too. im still not sold on him.. europe isnt the same as over here... NBA scrubs go over there & win MVPs. its really hard to take euro ball stats serious so ill reserve my judgment on jonas....

So you'd rather the team goes out and wins maybe 10 more games next year than they are predicted to? That's going to make you happy? Then what? Maybe become a mediocre team fighting for a playoff spot every year because they're simply not talented enough to be real contender? Haven't you had enough of that?

Seriously, I just don't understand this attitude, especially from a Raptor fan. Are you really that desperate to win a few games that you'd mortgage the future to do it?

As for Valanciunas, most people here aren't going on stats but actually watching him play. Stats in Europe mean about as much as NCAA stats when it comes to comparing them to the NBA, which is why you have to watch them actually play. And while NBA scrubs go over there and win MVP, good NBA players go over there and struggle. It's a different game. Some adapt, some don't.
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                It's possible that Gasol really loves Memphis. He does live there, and went to school there. He's looking at his team and the potential it has.. he could be taking a potential salary hit just so he can play where he wants and to give more cap space to the team going forward so that they can keep a player like Gay or sign another FA in the future.

Gasol could make more than 12 million a year if he wanted to. If he signs with Memphis for 9 then he's doing it for the team, not for himself.
                Just more potential proof that the league has not restricted the ability of players to play where they want.

Puffer

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                  I think peoples predictions of the Raptors this season are overly pessimistic (raptors are stacked). In regards to Bargnani coming off the bench in the past his minutes were limited, I want him to play the role of Jamal Crawford and still get his 30-36 min. but have him do it on the 2nd squad.
                  The second squad doesn't get 30-36 minutes a game, the first squad does. I would love to see AB play 36 minutes a game against the other teams second string center, but he is usually only out there for 10 - 20 minutes.

Puffer

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    I think you're the pessimist, here.
                    Sure, I am pessimist about predicting stradom on teenagers who have yet to play one game against NBA type competition.

However, never I had said something like "we need to tank to give us a chance at drafting a franchise player because it is the only way we'll ever get out of this mediocrity", about the only consistent team message I read from you from the past 18 months.

You're a one-trick pony.

Comment

What do you guys think of signing Chandler when Jonas is coming in 10 months?

I think it's a great a idea. We don't have to throw Jonas into the fire right when he gets here. He can develope and learn from one best defensive centers in the league. It's the best time to get Chandler close to the end of his prime. Right when he starts declining which I think will be in two years. That's when you start Jonas and have a great 2 center rotation.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chandler really only plays to the level of his teams, or so I've noticed. When his teams are awful, he doesn't seem to play as well and vice-versa. I'd pass on Chandler and look for a cheaper veteran. Perhaps Diop (if he's amnesty-ed). If he's not, I'd look at Jeff Foster.

Comment

It would add 3-5 wins, possibly pushing the team out of the basement, and it would cost too much. The cap space and lottery chances are more important than those 3-5 wins.

Comment

If you're buying into Chandler you're buying into rebounding and defense. He's not going to give you much more than that. I like his game and if he were to sign here I would not be angry. I don't want this to happen though. They have their center of the future and the draft is going to be good this year. Perhaps Colangelo feels that not even Chandler can stop their fall this season?

Comment

I'm back on the Bargnani bandwagon on one condition: the draft rule stays the same. Being back on the bandwagon, the Raptors should go get Tyson Chandler.

Here is why:

1) Chandler can only be offered a 4 year contract. He will be 33 in the last year of the contract. He will always have trade value in the life of his contract. If Jonas comes over and is capable of starting immediately, he can be traded, however, I do not think this will be the case. This allows JV to develop and would be ready to take over in his 4th year. JV would have lots of minutes behind Chandler who averaged 28mpg in Dallas last season and 32mpg in the playoffs. The contract to Chandler should be front loaded, i.e. 4 year/$40M deal at $11.5/10.5/9.5/8.5 in each season. With $8M in cap space, a trade or cut will have to happen to free up $3.5M.

2) Bargnani is going to shock us all. Anyone who follows the stock market knows when pessimism reaches its lowest is when markets generally skyrocket up. Bargnani's stock cannot get any lower. I think the combination of not having to play C, to not have to be the last line of defense, improved conditioning, an end to the coddling from BC/Gheridini, and a hard ass coach will bring out the best in him. I'm not expecting miracles but defensive production like David West or rebounding numbers like Nene are not unrealistic. If he can do this, any team in the league would want him.

3) If freshmen are permitted to stay in the draft, the 2012 draft is stacked. If Bargnani shocks Raptorville with Chandler in the front court with him, I think the Raptors could challenge for the playoffs (low seed, of course). The Raptors could draft a very strong player in the 12-15 range. 8 of the top 10 players in the draft are PF's. Quincy Miller or Kidd-Gilchrist could easily be available OR the Raptors could package their pick with a player and/or a future draft pick to move up in the draft.

4) The Raptors could still have about $10/11M in contract space next summer.

I am ready for the ridicule.... bring it.
                              Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Dec 1, 2011, 01:45 PM. Reason: /

Comment

Chandler never has and never will be an all-star. He's a decent player but will be commanding big coin. One thing that I have learned from previous years is that most GM's are dumb and short sighted. They will pay Chandler a ridiculous amount of money to lure him away from Dallas and think of him as a prize free agent.

He won a championship, played great (in a contract year by the way), but before that was just alright - nothing special.

It doesn't make sense to me, but I see Chandler getting around 11-12M a year. If Hedo was given $53M/5 years, I'd assume Chandler would be given about the same, or if not more... maybe $45M/4 years. Chandler's contact will be talked about for the next few years (in a negative light). I hope Bryan learned his lesson from Hedo and doesn't bite again this time around. Hopefully Stefanski will be holding Bryan's leash back.

Comment

Working...
                                X