Colangelo Needs to Start Securing Bench Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stretch wrote: View Post
    Top free agents usually choose to go to NY, LA, or Miami not Toronto, Denver, or Utah. The Raptors have had trouble resigning their best draft picks. If Derozen's upside is that of eventual all star status, he will be difficult to resign.
    Stars will generally stay with teams they have faith in. If you give the player a reason to stay, I think they generally will (unless they hate the city). Durant chose to stay with Oklahoma because they'd done a very good job building a winner. I can't say the same for any of the other teams with stars that have either left or are thinking about it. Even Cleveland, while a winner, was not managed well at all.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
      Stars will generally stay with teams they have faith in. If you give the player a reason to stay, I think they generally will (unless they hate the city). Durant chose to stay with Oklahoma because they'd done a very good job building a winner. I can't say the same for any of the other teams with stars that have either left or are thinking about it. Even Cleveland, while a winner, was not managed well at all.
      Agree.

All things being equal, top free agents go where the money is. Name 5 free agents in the last five years, who have been under the age of 28, and haven't gone where they got the most money. The big three in Miami last year were an aberration, under special circumstances. Lots of top free agents go to potential championship teams, when they are 29, 30 or 31 or older, looking for a ring. NY, LA, or Miami are going to have their problems with the new CBA. And, quite frankly, Chicago, Detroit, Oklahoma, Dallas have all taken their turns doing pretty well at attracting top free agents over the last decade.

And if Toronto has up and coming young players, with a more than solid bench, there are going to be free agents who would rather be on winning teams than on losers.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
        Top free agents usually choose to go to NY, LA, or Miami not Toronto, Denver, or Utah. The Raptors have had trouble resigning their best draft picks. If Derozen's upside is that of eventual all star status, he will be difficult to resign.
        Top free agents go where they can get the most money and a chance to win. Looking at the books, NY, LA, and MIA all appear to be fresh out of cap space.

As for DeRozan.... thats the spirit!

Comment

Working...
        X