Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ed Davis put the work in this summer (Sun article added post 24)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Part of it is maturation. He turned 22 over the summer. I'm 6'7" and between my 2nd and 3rd year of university I gained 20 pounds with some serious time in the weight room. Part of it was just getting older but the majority was training under a specific training program and diet (steak and eggs for breakfast, tuna for lunch, steak for supper - lol, not quite but close enough).
    I went from 135 to 190 in 2 years after I hit 22. Unfortunately that was probably 15 pounds too many. I'd tried desperately to gain weight my entire life before that. The downside is that I struggled with knee problems for several years after that. And then, well, some years later my knees are pretty much shot. I wouldn't recommend gaining that much weight that fast to anyone.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

JJ supposedly added to his range. If everyone got better this summer (of the youth corp) we could be looking at one scrappy team.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
        This raises the question will the raptors depth chart look like this:

PG- Bayless/Calderon
        SG- Derozan/Barbosa
        SF- James Johnson/Kleiza/filler (until Kleiza gets healthy)
        PF- Andrea Bargnani/Amir Johnson
        C- Ed Davis/Solomon Alabi

That kinda looks like an exciting team to me... Just need a filler at the 3 maybe a Grant Hill?
        This is the exact same team as last year...

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Via Twitter.com:

Hopefully that is 17 pounds of muscle. Assuming it is and glad to hear.
          So he followed through on his promise and now he's got the mass to log some time under center. To gain that much muscle in that much time is a great accomplishment. He should feel proud.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
            You can't gain anywhere near 17 pounds of muscle in such short amount of time. It's still good he's putting the time in though...

BTW Hopefully he doesn't end up like Bargs when he gained weight (he got slower and less explosive).
            Were talking almost 8 months where all he has to do it train, I don't think it is a stretch at his age and body development.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              So he followed through on his promise and now he's got the mass to log some time under center. To gain that much muscle in that much time is a great accomplishment. He should feel proud.
              As a drop out from Kinesiology, and a certified personal trainer (now lapsed) I can guarantee that no one gains 17 pounds of muscle in a summer, even a long summer, unless they are hitting steroids big time, which I doubt is true in this case. He may well be 17 pounds heavier, but about 4 pounds is liquid and 4 pounds is fat. But considering the ration of muscle to everything else, 9 pounds of muscle is going to make him a lot stronger, since it will probably be equally divided between his legs (thighs) and upper body (chest, shoulders and arms).

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                Ya, but it's STACKED!
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  Wow. A playing weight of 235 would be impressive for a guy with his frame.
                  Can't wait to see what he looks like.
                  I want to see how he looks too. But i have a feeling that we'll end up being disappointed when we do.

Comment

ED bulked up

TORONTO - Ed Davis knew he would have to hit the weights hard in order to build off of a solid rookie campaign.

Davis’ father, Terry, a former NBA bruiser, told a Raptors scribe late last season that Ed would be “sleeping in the weight room.”

Mission accomplished. The University of North Carolina product said he used his extended time in the gym in Los Angeles wisely.

Davis, who said he finished the season weighing a slight 216 pounds, now seems more equipped to battle with the league’s burly veterans.

“I got to like 236 (pounds) at one point, I’m probably like 233, 234, somewhere in there now,” Davis told the Toronto Sun.

With no true centre on the roster aside from the very raw Solomon Alabi and since Andrea Bargnani is expected to move back to his more comfortable power forward position, the 6-foot-10 Davis might find himself manning the middle on some nights depending on what happens in free agency.

Davis, who averaged 7.7 points, 7.1 rebounds and a block in 24 minutes per game and was jobbed out of a spot on the all-rookie team, said he had a “a couple of goals written down” for himself, but would not reveal them.

Davis missed training camp and the pre-season in 2010-11 due to a freak injury and said he was understandably pleased to be healthy to start the campaign and to finally have the lockout behind him.

Source: Toronto Sun

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      The difference is:

1) We didnt get Bayless until the 2nd half of last year, and he never started until the last month during which he played his best ball.

2) Demar only kicked it into the next level in the 2nd half of the year, and barbosa struggled with injuries the whole year.

3) We only picked up James Johnson at the trade deadline and he filled up the stat sheet, Kleiza was injured most of last year.

4) Andrea Bargnani wasnt playing his natural position, now he will be.

5) Ed Davis is 20 lbs heavier and big enough to play the 5, so now we actually have someone that protects the rim. All accounts say that Alabi has improved too, and he is a defensive player.

Last year our starting lineup at the beginning of the season was:

PG- Calderon
                      SG- Derozan
                      SF- Kleiza
                      PF- Bargnani
                      C- Evans (we were doing good with Reggie at the 5 until he got hurt)

Now our starting line up should look like this:

PG- Bayless
                      SG- Derozan
                      SF- James Johnson
                      PF- Bargnani
                      C- Ed Davis

Slightly different with each player coming in stronger, in better shape, and more mature than last year... I think its exciting.
                      "Defense wins championships."

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                        Ya, but it's STACKED!
                        Don't worry Tim we suck so bad no matter what happens we are gonna get a good draft pick so you got nothing to worry about buds =) Tanking FTW.
                        "Defense wins championships."

Comment

Ed Davis was not 215 lb last year

Ed Davis weighted 227 lbs at the draft combine so unless he lost about 12 pounds during last season. A season where he was injured for most of it. Spent most of the time working out cause he couldn't put any pressure on his knee, so technically he only gained 8 pounds. Its probably all muscle looking at this footage from this summer.

His number 34 in white and than number 33 in red

His Draftexpress profile showing his weight after the draft combine
                          http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ed-Davis-1354/
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                            The difference is:

1) We didnt get Bayless until the 2nd half of last year, and he never started until the last month during which he played his best ball.

2) Demar only kicked it into the next level in the 2nd half of the year, and barbosa struggled with injuries the whole year.

3) We only picked up James Johnson at the trade deadline and he filled up the stat sheet, Kleiza was injured most of last year.

4) Andrea Bargnani wasnt playing his natural position, now he will be.

5) Ed Davis is 20 lbs heavier and big enough to play the 5, so now we actually have someone that protects the rim. All accounts say that Alabi has improved too, and he is a defensive player.

Last year our starting lineup at the beginning of the season was:

PG- Calderon
                            SG- Derozan
                            SF- Kleiza
                            PF- Bargnani
                            C- Evans (we were doing good with Reggie at the 5 until he got hurt)

Now our starting line up should look like this:

PG- Bayless
                            SG- Derozan
                            SF- James Johnson
                            PF- Bargnani
                            C- Ed Davis

Slightly different with each player coming in stronger, in better shape, and more mature than last year... I think its exciting.
                            The problem with your theory is that the Raptors actually did worse AFTER they acquired Bayless and James Johnson.

And while JJ does fill up the stat sheet, that doesn't exactly equate to wins.

And, yes, Bargnani will be playing the PF position. Again, how does that equate to more wins?

And while Davis adding muscle will definitely help, you know he was on the floor last year, too? The center doesn't really protect the rim and more than the PF. This seems to be a point you ignore when I make it.
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                              As a drop out from Kinesiology, and a certified personal trainer (now lapsed) I can guarantee that no one gains 17 pounds of muscle in a summer, even a long summer, unless they are hitting steroids big time, which I doubt is true in this case. He may well be 17 pounds heavier, but about 4 pounds is liquid and 4 pounds is fat. But considering the ration of muscle to everything else, 9 pounds of muscle is going to make him a lot stronger, since it will probably be equally divided between his legs (thighs) and upper body (chest, shoulders and arms).
                              It was seven months and the rest of it you may be right but it was seven months, not a summer.

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              Ed Davis weighted 227 lbs at the draft combine so unless he lost about 12 pounds during last season. A season where he was injured for most of it. Spent most of the time working out cause he couldn't put any pressure on his knee, so technically he only gained 8 pounds. Its probably all muscle looking at this footage from this summer.
                              That was in May/June. Perhaps he worked on conditioning all summer and dropped to 215lbs? NBA.com, Yahoo Sports, CBSsports.com, ESPN.com and TSN.ca all have him at 215lbs. I'm thinking the 215lbs number is the most recent number.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                                It was seven months and the rest of it you may be right but it was seven months, not a summer.

That was in May/June. Perhaps he worked on conditioning all summer and dropped to 215lbs? NBA.com, Yahoo Sports, CBSsports.com, ESPN.com and TSN.ca all have him at 215lbs. I'm thinking the 215lbs number is the most recent number.
                                Once he started playing regular minutes the extra weight from not being in top cardio shape came off, 215 is where he ended the season.
                                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                                X