Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you happy with the direction of the 2011-2012 Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    If I could choose only offense or defense, I would take your defensive comments ANY DAY over the offensive for this upcoming season. In a perfect world we have the cake and eat it too, of course.
    Well, nobody likes when someone is offensive.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

yertu damkule wrote: View Post
      true, but only to a degree (calderon & rip hamilton are two examples off the top of my head of guys who weren't good deep shooters initially, but who worked on that aspect & improved considerably, though in rip's case, he's been inconsistent shooting the 3, and is more of a mid-range guy).

the things that DD needs to develop the most (deep jumper & defense) are rooted in practice & effort. he's shown the ability to shoot the ball, he's already got a solid mid-range J, so expanding that range really is a matter of technique & practice. i highly doubt he'll ever be a top-flight 3-pt shooter in terms of shooting %, but he should be good enough that he's a threat to hit from 3, meaning defenses can't sag off him.

defense is, IMO, more psychological than physical, especially for someone who is already gifted physically (though DD will likely always struggle to keep quicker guards in front of him, as he doesn't have great lateral quicks). hopefully, someone like casey can provide the technical fundamentals he needs, and instill a drive/desire to be a top defender (or at least to treat D as more than an afterthought).
      I don't buy that long range shooting and defense are all about work ethic. Lots of players work hard and never do those things well. Everything is a talent. DDR doesn't have NBA talent in those areas or he would already have shown it.

And I think if you look at the historical record you see something different than guys suddenly discovering all-star skills that weren't there before. They improve slightly, year-to-year, until they're about 27, then they decline a bit. Injuries can speed this up. For example, Charles Barkley has said that, by the time he was traded to Phoenix, his body was "shot". He was 29. Look at Calderon. His best seasons were before age 27. I just think you're not giving talent enough respect. You're wishful-thinking your way to a belief that hard work is more important than anything, and it's not, at least not for adults. Hard work is more important for the very young, since all great athletes are child prodigies. By the time you're an adult your formative period is over and you've got to deal with what you've got. Athletes as adults can very slightly refine their skills, but not develop new ones.

Comment

I am more than happy. This team has bust all over it in terms of W/L record but I fully expect it to have direction and show tangible growth, unlike the rudderless SS Triano we watched last year. I'd be surprised if we won 20 games and that's OK because we'll finally have a great pick in a great year and not have to settle for a Hoffa/CV31/Bargs etc. This is a draft that has depth almost as good as the VC draft and we should all be stoked. The Brass is building in what would appear to be the smartest way possible and we are quietly amassing some serious chips. When The Raps are ready to hit FA/trade market for real we'll have cap room, an up and coming team and assets.

I still think that players will stick around in a stable, winning environment. Toronto is stabilizing, knuckle head free, lead by a respected coach (so far) and I think players look at BCo as a players GM in that he's willing to trade, pay and sign players and he comes with a respected pedigree. Start winning and you won't have players leaving or any trouble signing.
        LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Would Mayo have worked in Toronto? The Pacers just landed him for Josh McRoberts and Brandon Rush.

Rip Hamilton just got bought out by the Pistons. and no, there is nooooo chance that he signs with the Raptors.

Comment

Right track, but where does it lead us

I don't think anyone could (or has) have a problem with the strategy that is being employed so far this year. I am as happy as anyone else that the Raptors are being fiscally responsible with their cap space.

Having said that, I am not nearly as optimistic as some about the future. I see a number of other teams strengthening themselves as well. While we may not have to worry about the Celtics in a couple of years. There are other teams that are working to replace them in the top eight of the east, before the Raptors (New York, probably already there, Indiana, Milwaukee, maybe New Jersey depending on what transpires).

Although we are building a solid young core the right way, to challenge for a title we will need at least one, maybe two, (super) stars. I don't see one of those on the current roster, including JV. Yes the next draft will be loaded but that also means that some of the teams I mentioned above and others near the bottom could just as easily luck out on drafting a franchise player as the Raptors. In other words, everyone talks about how the 2012 draft will make the Raps better, but remember it will also make the competition better.

In terms of free agents, I just don't see an American franchise free agent ever coming to Canada. I understand the argument that the Toronto has been unattractive to FAs because of the (mis)management of the team, but to use a statistics analogy, I fear that fact is highly correlated with the prejudices that Americans have about Canada. So even if you remove the first factor, the second will remain strong a strong predictor of Toronto's attraction.

To come full circle, I am happy to see management seemingly doing everything right and I believe that will, if we're lucky get the Raps maybe as high as the 3rd of 4th seeds in the east, one season....but I think that will always be the franchises ceiling.

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
              I don't buy that long range shooting and defense are all about work ethic. Lots of players work hard and never do those things well. Everything is a talent. DDR doesn't have NBA talent in those areas or he would already have shown it.
              I play in an oldtimers league. We are pretty easy going and even guys that have obvioulsy never player organized ball befor ea re welcomed. A guy who was about 35 came in and was pretty terrible, but one thing \i can say is that after every game he would still be there practicing his shot. Now at 40 he is a spot up three point shooter. Inconsistent, but just a couple of weeks ago he hit 5 of 6 to help us win a close game.

If a guy with no skills can come into our oldtimers league at 35 and become a 3 pt shooter, than anyone of these genetically gifted monsters in the NBA who wants to put in the work can also become a three point shooter. Remember, we are talking about 450 of the top 600 basketball players in the world. That is out of a population of 7 BILLION. Very few of them actually have a ceiling in terms of accomplishment, if they put in the work.

Comment

Paradigm Shift wrote: View Post
                I don't think anyone could (or has) have a problem with the strategy that is being employed so far this year. I am as happy as anyone else that the Raptors are being fiscally responsible with their cap space.

Having said that, I am not nearly as optimistic as some about the future. I see a number of other teams strengthening themselves as well. While we may not have to worry about the Celtics in a couple of years. There are other teams that are working to replace them in the top eight of the east, before the Raptors (New York, probably already there, Indiana, Milwaukee, maybe New Jersey depending on what transpires).

Although we are building a solid young core the right way, to challenge for a title we will need at least one, maybe two, (super) stars. I don't see one of those on the current roster, including JV. Yes the next draft will be loaded but that also means that some of the teams I mentioned above and others near the bottom could just as easily luck out on drafting a franchise player as the Raptors. In other words, everyone talks about how the 2012 draft will make the Raps better, but remember it will also make the competition better.

In terms of free agents, I just don't see an American franchise free agent ever coming to Canada. I understand the argument that the Toronto has been unattractive to FAs because of the (mis)management of the team, but to use a statistics analogy, I fear that fact is highly correlated with the prejudices that Americans have about Canada. So even if you remove the first factor, the second will remain strong a strong predictor of Toronto's attraction.

To come full circle, I am happy to see management seemingly doing everything right and I believe that will, if we're lucky get the Raps maybe as high as the 3rd of 4th seeds in the east, one season....but I think that will always be the franchises ceiling.
                That thing about americans hating on Canada is true. But it will change in the coming years, with the NBL in place and all the talented Canadian players coming into the nba things will change. They will have to accept us and we will get more nba teams in the future. You don't see steve nash, jamaal magloire, samuel dalambert or tristan thompson bitching about playing in america. They need to grow up and just play. These days NBA players are too caught up on how much money they make and wanting to play with their other superstar buddies.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                  That thing about americans hating on Canada is true. But it will change in the coming years, with the NBL in place and all the talented Canadian players coming into the nba things will change. They will have to accept us and we will get more nba teams in the future. You don't see steve nash, jamaal magloire, samuel dalambert or tristan thompson bitching about playing in america. They need to grow up and just play.
                  Right, and you don't see the Gasol brothers and Calderon refusing to play outside of Spain.... There is something about the American psyche that is incomparable to any other nationality, at least over the last 50 years or so. I would feel more certain they could grow up if they were still playing 4 years of University, but the big stars will not be staying in college more than two years for the foreseeable future.

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                  These days NBA players are too caught up on how much money they make and wanting to play with their other superstar buddies.
                  I soooo hope you are right, but I still think the last place a group of American stars would choose to gather is Toronto. Ok if not the absolute last place, near the bottom.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                    I play in an oldtimers league. We are pretty easy going and even guys that have obvioulsy never player organized ball befor ea re welcomed. A guy who was about 35 came in and was pretty terrible, but one thing \i can say is that after every game he would still be there practicing his shot. Now at 40 he is a spot up three point shooter. Inconsistent, but just a couple of weeks ago he hit 5 of 6 to help us win a close game.

If a guy with no skills can come into our oldtimers league at 35 and become a 3 pt shooter, than anyone of these genetically gifted monsters in the NBA who wants to put in the work can also become a three point shooter. Remember, we are talking about 450 of the top 600 basketball players in the world. That is out of a population of 7 BILLION. Very few of them actually have a ceiling in terms of accomplishment, if they put in the work.
                    Take a look at the stats of just about any player who's ever played in the league and you'll see their numbers are pretty consistent from year to year, barring injury.

I would say the individual you're talking about who plays in your league refined a mediocre skill at spotting up from long range by a few percentage points. All players do that. They all work hard and refine their games. They do not develop talents they never had in the first place, because mankind doesn't operate that way. If hard work could make every NBA player into a Glen Rice-like shooter and Alvin Robertson-like defender, they would all be those things by now.

Comment

Take a look at the stats of just about any player who's ever played in the league and you'll see their numbers are pretty consistent from year to year, barring injury.

I would say the individual you're talking about who plays in your league refined a mediocre skill at spotting up from long range by a few percentage points. All players do that. They all work hard and refine their games. They do not develop talents they never had in the first place, because mankind doesn't operate that way. If hard work could make every NBA player into a Glen Rice-like shooter and Alvin Robertson-like defender, they would all be those things by now.
                      I think the majority of players are pretty much who they are by their second or third season in the NBA. And for most players, they embrace the role because they know that's how they'll make their living.

That isn't to say that player's CAN'T pick up new skills, but most simply don't feel the need to. And there's a difference between developing a skill and developing an NBA level skill. At a pickup level, I am a very good three point shooter. That doesn't mean that I would be a very good NBA three point shooter, even if I had the athletic ability and other skills to compete at that level. A good NBA three point shooter should probably hit at least 75% of his 3 point shots if he's unguarded. If you can't you shouldn't be shooting from there. Stick Bargnani or Calderon in alone in a gym and they won't miss. In fact, stick Amir alone in a gym and he probably won't miss from 15 feet.

There's a difference between picking up a skill and having it NBA ready.

That said, and I've said this before, the 3 point shot is one of the easiest skills to learn. Unlike defense, or passing, or rebounding, it's something one can learn simply by repetition. As long as a player has a decent natural stroke, there's no reason they can't become at least a threat to hit from out there, if not a decent shooter. If a player shoots 500+ 3 point shots a day during the offseason, they should be able to hit that shot in game once in a while. The thing is, though, most players simply don't want to do that because if it's not part of their game by the time they've been in the league a few years, there's no reason it should be (at least that's my guess on what they're thinking).

Manute Bol is a perfect example. He didn't hit one 3 pointer in his first 3 seasons (he took 3), but Don Nelson wanted him to be, at least, a threat to hit, so he worked on it and in his fourth season he went 20-91. Not very good, but not bad considering he'd never hit one before and his shooting style.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post

That said, and I've said this before, the 3 point shot is one of the easiest skills to learn. Unlike defense, or passing, or rebounding, it's something one can learn simply by repetition. As long as a player has a decent natural stroke, there's no reason they can't become at least a threat to hit from out there, if not a decent shooter. If a player shoots 500+ 3 point shots a day during the offseason, they should be able to hit that shot in game once in a while. The thing is, though, most players simply don't want to do that because if it's not part of their game by the time they've been in the league a few years, there's no reason it should be (at least that's my guess on what they're thinking).
                        That was my point.

Comment

i guess what i'm factoring in is that DD isn't learning a new skill in developing 3-pt range, he's refining an already-existing one. i'm not arguing that reggie evans is going to learn how to hit a 23-ft jumper (or a 3-foot one, but that's neither here nor there), because that IS an entirely new skill. derozan is already a good shooter, that's pretty undeniable. what he lacks is range on that shot, but, IMO, extending that range could/should simply be a matter of technique & repetition (read: practice). i'm not suggesting he's going to become a knock-down 3-pt shooter, or that significant improvement will happen overnight - lot's of great NBA 2's below-average from deep - but that he only needs to develop that shot enough to be thought of as a deept threat. there's a reason guys play up on wade & kobe despite the fact they shoot poorly from long-range - it's because they've created the idea that they are long-range threats (even though the best D against both is to let them fire away from 3). DD needs defenses to respect his shot from all areas of the floor, mainly so they don't end up slagging off him & taking away driving lanes. for this year, i can see him upping his 3-pt attempts to ~1 - 1.5.game and hitting on ~20-25%. baby steps.
                          TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post

Shaq and Wilt, two of the best centers ever, had lots and lots of practice shooting free throws and they never became good at it.

Finding the exact mechanics wich work best for a specific individual and then working until supervision until muscles memorize the routine is very difficult.

Comment

I think the majority of players are pretty much who they are by their second or third season in the NBA. And for most players, they embrace the role because they know that's how they'll make their living.
                              It's nice to see you've come around to my way of thinking. But it's not really opinion, it's objective fact. The numbers don't lie.

That isn't to say that player's CAN'T pick up new skills, but most simply don't feel the need to. And there's a difference between developing a skill and developing an NBA level skill. At a pickup level, I am a very good three point shooter. That doesn't mean that I would be a very good NBA three point shooter, even if I had the athletic ability and other skills to compete at that level. A good NBA three point shooter should probably hit at least 75% of his 3 point shots if he's unguarded. If you can't you shouldn't be shooting from there. Stick Bargnani or Calderon in alone in a gym and they won't miss. In fact, stick Amir alone in a gym and he probably won't miss from 15 feet.

There's a difference between picking up a skill and having it NBA ready.

Manute Bol is a perfect example. He didn't hit one 3 pointer in his first 3 seasons (he took 3), but Don Nelson wanted him to be, at least, a threat to hit, so he worked on it and in his fourth season he went 20-91. Not very good, but not bad considering he'd never hit one before and his shooting style.
                              There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip.

Comment

If hard work could make every NBA player into a Glen Rice-like shooter and Alvin Robertson-like defender, they would all be those things by now.
                                This is quite the generalization, isn't it? Not all players have the genetic ability to excel in certain skills, and not all players put in the hard work required to learn (or even improve upon) a new skill. But some do, and the results speak for themselves.

Having said that, there's no reason whatsoever that DeRozan cannot improve his shooting, defense and handles.

Comment

Working...
                                X