DeAndre Jordan vs Amir Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeAndre Jordan vs Amir Johnson

While writing my latest blog post, I realized something that I thought would interest a few people around here...

Just to emphasis the similarity of the seasons Jordan and Johnson had, let's look at their stats:

DeAndre Jordan
    MPG- 25.6
    FG%- .686
    FT%- .452
    RPG- 7.2
    APG- 0.5
    SPG- 0.5
    BPG- 1.8
    FPG- 3.2
    PPG- 7.1

Amir Johnson
    MPG- 25.7
    FG%- .568
    FT%- .788
    RPG- 6.4
    APG- 1.1
    SPG- 0.7
    BPG- 1.2
    FPG- 3.7
    PPG- 9.6

Jordan is 23 and Amir is 24. Jordan is listed at 6'11 and Amir is listed at 6'9 (although is probably closer to 6'10). Jordan will be making $40 million over the next four years. Amir will be making $25 million over the next four years.

So where are all those people who complained that Amir was vastly overpaid?
    http://www.wearingfilm.com/picketfen...har-she-blows/

It's enough to make you think.
    Last edited by Tim W.; Wed Dec 14, 2011, 04:01 AM.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Very true. This makes me think that Amir Johnsons contract is disliked not because of his stats but because he plays for the Toronto raptors. Or it could just be that people think both players are on equaly bad contracts.

Maybe the propblem is really the fans. Have fans lost touch with what some of these athletes are worth in todays NBA market?

Good find though, makes you think.

Comment

Good find. People who complain about contracts have a right to, but need to look at what is the going rate for players in that position. Sometimes you get a good deal and sometimes you over pay. Ultimate contract also depends on what your specific needs are and what is available. There are sometimes considerations that have nothing to do with actual worth. for instance, maybe you want a guy for only one year, and while he might accept $15 million for three years, he won't take $5 million for one year, so you give him $7 million and are happy you get to rent him and he is off the books next season.

Comment

It pains me to say this, but it seems to me that most (read: not all) people who criticize Amir's contract are Bargnani supporters.

Amir is the natural comparator to Bargnani. He's the polar opposite in terms of hustle, sacrificing his body, and doing the dirty work. The two players ALWAYS end up being discussed together no matter what the topic. So it makes sense that Bargnani supporters (consciously or subconsciously) see Amir as an untalented scrub, and conclude that he's highly overpaid.

It's almost like a defense mechanism. "You think Bargnani should be traded? Oh yeah? Well, well....Amir smells like broccoli....yeah, so there."

Comment

I think most of the criticism of Amir's contact came from journalists who don't cover the Raptors. If all you know about Amir is that he didn't stick in Detroit and that he fouls once every 4 minutes, it's easy to conclude he was overpaid, especially if you misreport his contract value.

Comment

Don't think Amir is overpaid. Hard to say Bargs is, but easier to complain about why he might be, and part of that is about the perception. They are viewed as opposites by a lot of fans (although I'd think to a certain extent you could argue that opposite is not really the right word), because of Amir's hustle makes him seemingly overachieve, and Bargs' lack thereof makes him underachieve. I think both those things are true, and that's why people love Amir. Bargs isn't actually overpaid I think, it's just that he's such an underachiever because the raw talent is there. It's still easy to imagine (even if it's in the unlikeliest of fairy tale scenarios) Bargs improving because he has the ability to. It's hard to imagine Amir getting significantly better. Maybe he'll have a couple of double-double seasons, settling between 10-14 pts most years and 6-10 rbs. But you'll always be happy with what you get from Amir, especially if he stops fouling like he's still in high school.

Back on the Jordan vs. Amir thing. I spent all this time talking about Bargs vs. Amir to point out that Jordan got a RIDICULOUS contract for a guy who's had one good season. I know he's young and he very well could be an emerging stalwart C, but if he doesn't significantly improve, it's Amir with more muscle and a worse shot, for more money. It just shows you that all contracts to bigs seem pretty above value, especially at first (Drew Gooden, Carlos Boozer, Al Jefferson, Nene's new contract is pretty crazy too....). There are so many terrible contracts at that position. Dalembert's last one was pretty awful if I recall. Bynum is making franchise money as not even the 2nd best player on his team. I don't know, I'm pretty happy with both Amir's and Bargs' contracts, and just hope that Amir stops fouling and Bargs somehow finally realizes the ball is not toxic on D and gets 8 boards. I don't know if I'd give Jordan if I'd take Jordan on our team over either of those guys for the money he's getting, but we'll see if he proves worth it in the next year or two.

Comment

I have no issues with AJ or his contract.

But I must point out that apart from being heavier DJ is a centre and AJ a PF who would be overmatched against other heavier and good Cs. Centres also command a higher salary and DJ shows a high ceiling. I read today that our friend Kris Humphries who can masquerade as a C may get a 9 mill. offer from the Nets! Lastly with DJ there is the extenuating circumstance that Blake Griffin is really his agent (a good friend apparently). That must have helped.

DJ's free throw #s are atrocious though.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                I have no issues with AJ or his contract.

But I must point out that apart from being heavier DJ is a centre and AJ a PF who would be overmatched against other heavier and good Cs. Centres also command a higher salary and DJ shows a high ceiling. I read today that our friend Kris Humphries who can masquerade as a C may get a 9 mill. offer from the Nets! Lastly with DJ there is the extenuating circumstance that Blake Griffin is really his agent (a good friend apparently). That must have helped.

DJ's free throw #s are atrocious though.
                If Amir was 2 inches taller, would he be worth double what he's getting, now? I think that's the whole issue. Is the center position worth THAT much more than the PF position? I don't think so. Kwame Brown just signed a 1 year $7 million deal. If he was a PF, I'm guess he wouldn't get the MLE.

You also have to remember that Jordan signed an offer sheet with Golden State that the CLippers simply matched, so that was his market value.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I agree with the Amir vs DeAndre comparison for the most-part, but the real reason that DJ got that huge contract is that he's one of the only players big enough to push you off the block as well as jump over you (vertical over 12 feet). He's a poor man's Dwight Howard.

I'm of the opinion that virtually every major contract signed this summer will be seen as BRUTAL in 1-2 years time due to the tightening of the new CBA cap/tax.
                  When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    While writing my latest blog post, I realized something that I thought would interest a few people around here...

http://www.wearingfilm.com/picketfen...har-she-blows/

It's enough to make you think.
                    Thats what I'm talking about !!! FREE AMIR !!!

Comment

DeAndre will be getting more dunks this season with Chris Paul at the point.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                        DeAndre will be getting more dunks this season with Chris Paul at the point.
                        EVERYONE will be getting more dunks with Paul at the point. That team is going to be one fun team to watch.
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I like the comparison despite the 2" difference in height and in position. I just hope that ankle heals well. He needs to play most if not all 66 games off of the bench to really matter.
                          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Yeah, my first thought on seeing Jordan's new contract was, 'maybe this will get ESPN off Amir's case about being the some posterchild for bad contracts.' I always thought that Amir's contract was solid, as long as he continued to develop and improve. One year in, that's definitely the case.

The shocking thing about Jordan's contract is that it also apparently has a trade kicker. I haven't heard how much it's for, but this guy could be getting all-star money by the end of this contract. I can't help thinking GS had no real intent of signing the guy, they just knew the Clippers had to resign him for Griffin, so they were just driving up the price, hoping to make Paul more difficult for them.

Comment

Yeah, my first thought on seeing Jordan's new contract was, 'maybe this will get ESPN off Amir's case about being the some posterchild for bad contracts.' I always thought that Amir's contract was solid, as long as he continued to develop and improve. One year in, that's definitely the case.

The shocking thing about Jordan's contract is that it also apparently has a trade kicker. I haven't heard how much it's for, but this guy could be getting all-star money by the end of this contract. I can't help thinking GS had no real intent of signing the guy, they just knew the Clippers had to resign him for Griffin, so they were just driving up the price, hoping to make Paul more difficult for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X